The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i was looking at the 2011 car just a few days ago.i would like to get one of those engine covers.the opening looks to be the same.the whole upper shape of the rear clam seams to be the same as well.so the next question would be,what does the engine cover cost?if its not super expensive i might try one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Me too...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Also in

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What about the release mechanism? Can this be adapted if the lid fits?
OOOH! Good call...I forgot the new decklids have no key hole, so some modification (not much) will be needed. VERY interested in the release mechanism though...although you can just get a latch from anywhere to feed into the cabin for a release.

Surprised I haven't run across a DIY thread to release the decklid from inside the cabin - anyone come across one?:confused:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
George/ming:

Was gonna do this as part of my mods. Justin thinks it will work and todd and tj and I were noodling on it. Remote trunk release is awesome...but....

Summertime? My top is always off. If I leave my laptop bag in the boot, it's gotta be locked. If the top is off and they are smart, they can release the boot latch and steal my bag. So that was a deal breaker for me, but I do think it will fit

Funny though, I say 'summertime' and we r supposed to get 2 feet of snow on Tuesday. Uggh

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Seems like the solution to the summer time issue would be a locking interior release mechanism. Perhaps you can steal the lock from the current hatch, and fit it to a locking interior mechanism. That way, it uses the same key. Think of something like the Aerocatch being installed inside the car, and connected to the release cable.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Dylan - cool idea. Please go build it! :)

George - nope, never got a price. I emailed Justin on something today, haven't heard back. I think his baby was due so he might be out.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I'm waiting for a new rear bulkhead. I may play around with this using the old one when the new one arrives. Potentially it's the only area where something that large could fit, plus it would make the cable routing easier, though the interior light and alarm are also right in the middle, and getting the key into something behind you would not be easy, though it would be unlocked most of the time, I guess. I'd like an interior release even if I didn't have the 2011 hatch.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Anybody have a picture (want to take a picture?) of the 2011 decklid release mechanism from inside the cabin / under the lid of the new Elise? I'd like to see one but am too far away...

Jeff: you've got the spare time right? It's barely snowing out there ;)
Todd/TJ in that can help?
EDIT: we need a function like fbook's picture tagging, except it's for tagging people to a thread so I can get them to read this! argh!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nice find darkSol!

I assume #15 is the switch from the interior then? You could easily hide this in the footwell and nobody would know it was there...or behind the seats for a better idea as that would be easier to route the cable. Looks like I'll be taking the seats out sooner rather than I had anticipated.
Maybe I'll try routing through the intake area, into the rear bulkhead, and through the bottom? It needs to be warmer so I can play with my car!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i would assume that the lever locks on the 2011 elise.the top comes off just the same as our older versions.so it would be a matter of using the newer latch and cable with lever.when i was looking at the 2011 car i didnt notice it had an internal lever.the car was partitioned off at the car show.i wonder if lotus garage has the 2011 parts listed?

i just looked on lotus garrage.they do not list the 2011 body parts.they dont have a price for the older engine cover.the exige engine cover is 1860$:crazyeyes:shrug:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Info from FVMC

So I got some info from Justin at FVMC and he is not certain it will work as no one he knows has tried this yet.

I also asked if the sides of the 2011 Elise fit the older Elise and they have not seen that done yet either. I would love to get rid of those plastic pieces. I might call tj tomorrow to see his thoughts.

Justin also sent me a pic of the 2011 lid. I will post the pic for everyone when I am at a computer again instead of my iPad.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts