The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just finished recharging my system with AC pro. I removed the right front tire for easier access. The pressure was pretty low in the system so I may have some other issue to contend with. But for now the air blows cold. I attached a few photos to help anyone who may have a similar issue in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Almost certainly your condenser is full of holes, they are made of paper mache and have very little protection from the front grille. Add som UV dye next time and you'll likely see numerous leaks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My bet too is the condenser. Just went through it last year. Clam off, $1400 later at the dealer and I got AC again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have to replace my condenser too. UV dye didn't show up at the shop, but after a few weeks my AC died again, and I bought a UV light and protective glasses and was able to see the dye.

I bought a replacement condenser and drier a few years ago, but haven't gotten around to tackling this job yet. I just live with a hot car. Still worth it.

Anyone know how good a drier will last on a shelf for? It's still factory sealed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have to replace my condenser too. UV dye didn't show up at the shop, but after a few weeks my AC died again, and I bought a UV light and protective glasses and was able to see the dye.

I bought a replacement condenser and drier a few years ago, but haven't gotten around to tackling this job yet. I just live with a hot car. Still worth it.

Anyone know how good a drier will last on a shelf for? It's still factory sealed.
Hi MGB,
Sorry to drag up an old post, but were you able to find a substitute condenser from someone other than Lotus?
Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi MGB,
Sorry to drag up an old post, but were you able to find a substitute condenser from someone other than Lotus?
Thanks
I bought my new condenser for 220 GBP ($280 + ~$35 international shipping) almost two years ago exactly, from an eBay seller, "coolingsolutions2013." That's half the price of Lotus Parts Online, which wants $431 + shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/coolingsolutions2013

I was told that any atmospheric air being introduced into the system will break the drier too, so I bought one of those as well.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Found out that mine was broke again over the holiday. Took a 6hr roundtrip drive to our place in Lake Chelan (Eastern WA where it gets really hot) for the 4th. I just had the thing repaired last summer due to a leak at an elbow joint at the condenser. It was an out of pocket $800 fix. Previous year's issue was the compressor went kaput but was covered under warranty, repair was listed at $5k on my paperwork. Think I'll survive without it for now unfortunately. I've never owned a car before that had so many AC issues. Lucky living in the Seattle area it doesn't get too hot and a rolled down window will suffice.

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
On a positive note, I used AC Pro with leak fix and have had A/C now for three summers. There will be some naysayers that say that I clogged my system or ruined something but it’s ICE cold and is perfect. If there was a pin hole or bad oring somewhere, the product fixed it and that beats riding with the windows down in my book

1 - 12 of 12 Posts