The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lotus Fans!

I just checked out a 2011 Evora 6SPMT and wanted to know if it was normal for the shifter to be extra stiff. I have never driven a Lotus before so I have no frame of reference but boy did it feel super tight like you have to go hunting for the gears and really put it in there especially for 5th gear. It kinda took away from the driving experience!

I also took some shots of the headlight gapping between the bumper and wanted to see if this was within tolerance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Difficulty getting into a gear could be clutch problems.

·
Maniacal Motorist
127 Posts
Not normal. Someone did a bit of a sloppy job putting it back together. Not a huge pain to fix, but THEY should do it before you buy.

BEWARE stiff shifter. That Ia symptom right before the dreaded “blue ball” failure. Expensive fix, but worth the upgrade to Inokinetic Shiftr111+ and cables set.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
645 Posts
The shifting setup is hard to diagnose on a forum but there are a few things that it could be. My first thought is the cables. I had trouble getting into gears and actually had to go from 2nd to 1st to get I to first. I swapped the cables with an aftermarket set with weights and it's been perfect since.

But that's not to say it couldn't be the clutch either.. clutches tend to wear prematurely if the person would drive with their foot riding on the pedal or if the fluids were not changed.

If the clutch master itself was failing it would show itself with the pedal pretty much being stuck to the floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shifting setup is hard to diagnose on a forum but there are a few things that it could be. My first thought is the cables. I had trouble getting into gears and actually had to go from 2nd to 1st to get I to first. I swapped the cables with an aftermarket set with weights and it's been perfect since.

But that's not to say it couldn't be the clutch either.. clutches tend to wear prematurely if the person would drive with their foot riding on the pedal or if the fluids were not changed.

If the clutch master itself was failing it would show itself with the pedal pretty much being stuck to the floor.
Thanks for the feedback.

At rest without the car on, the shifter is super stiff so maybe it's just the cables as you stated.

As for the clutch, it seems to be functioning fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not normal. Someone did a bit of a sloppy job putting it back together. Not a huge pain to fix, but THEY should do it before you buy.

BEWARE stiff shifter. That Ia symptom right before the dreaded “blue ball” failure. Expensive fix, but worth the upgrade to Inokinetic Shiftr111+ and cables set.
So are you saying that if I purchased this car and upgraded to the Inokinetic Shiftr111+ and cables set I should be good to go?

How much is the upgrade? ($1250 parts)

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Not sure where the car is located or what outdoor temps were like today. But in cold temp locations, its possible that a shifter can be a little stiff until the car warms up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The clutch issue, as related to shifting difficulties, would be not fully releasing, not a usual clutch failure mode of not fully engaging.

·
Maniacal Motorist
127 Posts
I suck at estimating labor time. I dived into the job myself, which wasn't overly difficult, but took me longer than a pro. I'd guess 4-6 hours labor on top of parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haha that will just scare you and youll never buy an Evora!

...6-10K generally.
Wouldn't be surprised if his "Lol! Thanks!" reply really meant "F*** that, hard pass!" and that's the last we see of him, lol.

To the OP: nobody answered the headlight gap issue, but basically if panel gaps bother you, an Evora might not be the car for you. That said, those gaps can always be adjusted on the Evora unlike some cars where it is what it is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I guess it implies things have been removed, so you would just want to understand why the bumper/clam was removed.

Was is to do good things like replacing the clutch MC or was it because of a crash and had bumper repaired.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: gaps-those are not normal. The front/head lights have been apart I would assume; the question is why?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts