The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just 20K miles. A bit frustrating. And I've been quoting a fairly staggering $13K. This is from a licensed repair shop in California. Are there other options? An independent shop or the like? Is there any chance that this particular price was high, rather than just highly painful? Based on this prospective cost I feel like I'm driving a Bugatti crossed with a high-strung race-horse...

Thanks in Advance for Your Wisdom.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had my car taken apart by Lotus West with the engine removed, front and rear clam removed, etc, etc to repair pack rat damage. The cost was less than half your quote. Do a search on the forum—the issue has been discussed many times. I vaguely recall quotes as low as 3-4K from non-Lotus certified (but Lotus experienced) mechanics. The more typical range has been 4-7K If I’m not mistaken. I would be frustrated by a 20k mileage clutch replacement, too. That is abnormal. Plenty of cars on the forum getting over 60k without needing to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gator Motorsport @ Indianapolis quoted me $6,500!
I live in the Mid-West with not much Lotus dealership but I think you could probably find one easily at California
Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey if you can... can you please tell me the symptoms you had before your clutch failed?

Mechanics at one of the dealers recommended me to consider replacing the clutch as my clutch felt heavier than normal. My car doesn't have any slips or noticeable issues but I am worried...

Did you have any symptoms or anything before clutch failed? Sorry to ask you this while a lot is going on with your car...

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
After just 20K miles. A bit frustrating. And I've been quoting a fairly staggering $13K. This is from a licensed repair shop in California. Are there other options? An independent shop or the like? Is there any chance that this particular price was high, rather than just highly painful? Based on this prospective cost I feel like I'm driving a Bugatti crossed with a high-strung race-horse...
So based off the Lotus standard labor times they publish, the rear clam R&R is 4 hours, engine R&R is 21 hours, and clutch R&R is .6 hours. If you use that data, based off your shop's estimate, they'd be looking for approximately $508/hr, which is astronomical as shop rates go.

I have a local independent shop in town that works on most all exotic brands, and at least for Lotus, their hourly rate is $135.

I'd say keep shopping around hourly rates, and then tell them what you're wanting done. Then you can estimate whether they're quoting you an appropriate amount of time, or if they're trying to take you to the cleaners.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lotus of Denver have quoted me $9895 for a rear main seal, flywheel and clutch.

So based off the Lotus standard labor times they publish, the rear clam R&R is 4 hours, engine R&R is 21 hours, and clutch R&R is .6 hours. If you use that data, based off your shop's estimate, they'd be looking for approximately $508/hr, which is astronomical as shop rates go.

I have a local independent shop in town that works on most all exotic brands, and at least for Lotus, their hourly rate is $135.

I'd say keep shopping around hourly rates, and then tell them what you're wanting done. Then you can estimate whether they're quoting you an appropriate amount of time, or if they're trying to take you to the cleaners.
$13k does sound high.
I can see how it could easily stretch past the low end that others have suggested ($5k). The shops I talked to say its a 40hr job (because thats what Lotus say). Been told that it can be done in 20-30hrs and some take 50hrs. So when you include $1000 worth of parts, coolant replacement (purge time etc), clutch fluid replacement, time to confirm no leaks and everything's working, all the small things they always charge for (shop rags, hazmat, initial diagnosis).

Then youve got the classic "when youre in there you might as well do" the main crank seals? gearbox inputshaft seal? accessories belt? thermostat? sparkplugs? Insulate the clutch line?

Then TAX!

·
Hickory, NC
978 Posts
That’ll be one I’ll do myself thank you
45,000 miles and still going strong

·
Registered
246 Posts

Thanks in Advance for Your Wisdom.
That’s by far the most expensive quote I’ve heard. 5-6k is the current normal price. If you burn the clutch in 20k miles, unless you track it regularly, you’re doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I'd have the car shipped to another dealership even if in another state. You should be able to get the clutch done for around 6K very easily.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
The shops I talked to say its a 40hr job (because thats what Lotus say).
That's what they say Lotus says. Lotus used to (and maybe still does) offer their Standard Labour Time Guide via VSIC which shows operation codes and estimated times for each procedure that a dealer would perform.

I've attached the one I have; it's from 2015, but I doubt any of these procedures have changed that significantly in the 4 years since.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Harry @ A1 quoted me $1600 labor. 2-3 days. Parts are probably $1000ish? Thats cheap. Call him!
Harry is great, but I have hard time to believe he would do such a job for $2,600 all together. Will be great if anyone can confirm that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Harry is great, but I have hard time to believe he would do such a job for $2,600 all together. Will be great if anyone can confirm that.

Thats what I thought. But I double checked and questioned the price and if it was for an EVORA. And he said yes 2-3days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts