The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a long shot, but does anyone know how to remove the radiator exit grills on 2011 models? On the 2011 Elises, they are mesh and it seems they are mounted in a different manner compared to the earlier cars.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is a long shot, but does anyone know how to remove the radiator exit grills on 2011 models? On the 2011 Elises, they are mesh and it seems they are mounted in a different manner compared to the earlier cars.
If it's done the same as the Exige clams it's bonded in with some rubber sticky material. I would assume it's the same and you can't just unbolt it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Found a photo of the inside of the Exige clam. All that black material is some type of sticky adhesive. Better off removing the clam for whatever you're thinking I would guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh. Is it the same for the exit grills though? The grills on top of the radiator close to the windshield.

See here: photo1.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
Are you ready for this?

A couple of months ago I broke down and committed to having the "driving lights" put on my 2011 Elise R by my Lotus dealer who always does great work. The mechanic made the assumption that it couldn't be any different than the older models.

Au contraire mon fraire!

The clam had to come off. I did note that the mesh had screws holding it in place but had to be accessed from the inside and they were glued as well.

Well the lights are installed and my wallet is a little lighter than anticipated but isn't that the way we roll? lol

Wish you luck!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you ready for this?

A couple of months ago I broke down and committed to having the "driving lights" put on my 2011 Elise R by my Lotus dealer who always does great work. The mechanic made the assumption that it couldn't be any different than the older models.

Au contraire mon fraire!

The clam had to come off. I did note that the mesh had screws holding it in place but had to be accessed from the inside and they were glued as well.

Well the lights are installed and my wallet is a little lighter than anticipated but isn't that the way we roll? lol

Wish you luck!
Thanks man. It looks like this is something that isn't worth pursuing unless I need to take the clam off for a legitimate reason. I may just wait until I replace the radiator, which is something I have on my to-do list for the next year. Bummer though.

Us 2011 owners need to stick together. The car has had quite a decent amount of changes and there's pretty much no documentation of them anywhere.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it's those new-fangled Lotuses...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From British Racing Group:

"I spoke with Lotus. You will need to remove the entire front clam. The grill must be removed from the underside and then reapplied with adhesive unlike the earlier cars which could have the plastic grills removed once the access panels are taken out. This is a 2 day process due to the drying required on the adhesive."

Lotus. Making things harder to do rather than easier.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
From British Racing Group:

"I spoke with Lotus. You will need to remove the entire front clam. The grill must be removed from the underside and then reapplied with adhesive unlike the earlier cars which could have the plastic grills removed once the access panels are taken out. This is a 2 day process due to the drying required on the adhesive."

Lotus. Making things harder to do rather than easier.
Figures. They glue the frames, why not the grills.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Reviving a dead thread. I have a similar issue on one of the grates to the OP. Does anyone know the best way to release the glue that holds the mesh to the fiberglass? Solvents tend to be a bad thing for fiberglass and the Non-VOC paint so I am thinking that there is another method for the (black) glue removal.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Reviving a dead thread. I have a similar issue on one of the grates to the OP. Does anyone know the best way to release the glue that holds the mesh to the fiberglass? Solvents tend to be a bad thing for fiberglass and the Non-VOC paint so I am thinking that there is another method for the (black) glue removal.
I removed part of the license plate close out on the rear clam to modify the hold down arrangement. The close out is bonded to the clam with the rubbery black goo they use everywhere, including all the mesh on my 2011 Elise SC. I cut the rubber with a very sharp blade to separate the parts, then used a Dremel with a small (about 1/2" diameter) sanding drum to remove most of the remainder from the fiberglass. The sandpaper rolled it off pretty easily. Some Prep-Sol on a terry cloth rag removed the last traces from the fiberglass. (Prep-Sol is a degreaser used before painting.)

Glen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts