The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on weather to buy a 2011 or wait to buy a 2012. I have been looking to purchase an Evora for over a year now but I can't seem to pull the trigger due my fear of the build quality. From what I have read the 2012's are "much" better and have finally sorted out most of the issues, but I have also read that some late 2011's received the same treatment as well as 2012 shift cables. Is this true? If so does anyone know beginning build date?

My main concerns are the overall build quality (Interior& Exterior) and the transmission shifter cables/feel. I have read a good amount on the clutch/cables/cable adjustments issues and feel pretty I don't have a Lotus dealer very close to me so I want to purchase a better built car upfront. I also have only seen one in person, a 2010 skip barber car, so my hands on experience is extremely limited. So for those who have seen or driven both your opinion would be invaluable. Should I buy a 2011 or wait and buy a 2012?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the 12 interiors are definitely a notch above in material quality, though monotone. Build quality has steadily increased as the time has gone on, though even 12s still have niggles (door latches etc)

it comes down to what you're willing to pay, and personal preference as far as colors/options I think. This is a limited production car so you can gamble on a 2013 order, or buy a 12 or 11 off the lot...if you keep your eyes open to both 11s and 12s you're more likely to find the car you're looking for vice settling on a 12 or 11 that doesnt have X and is in color Y, niether of which you are happy about.

·
Registered
878 Posts
'12 vs '11

Shift cables are not a factor with an IPS.

My '12 has a few minor noncritical issues that I plan to get taken care of next week: error codes that will not clear, cruise control intermittent (solution posted to use zip ties to hold the connectors), and a recent tinny rattle noise from the muffler on a cold start.

The car is excellent and runs just fine. It makes sense they continue to implement quality improvements as new cars are built.

I waited 13 months after placing an order. I see they have had a recent suspension of production. Ordering a '13 might require patience. I prefer to order the options I want.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Both cars are great - 12's have a premium right now because the 13's aren't available.

Differences are cosmetically noticeable - drive wise - should be pretty similar.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Basically 2011 to 2012 the only difference is the interior materials?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Thanks for the input. Basically 2011 to 2012 the only difference is the interior materials?
The MY12s had about 200 changes/improvements over the MY11s, most of them small with the biggest ones being the quality of the interior and the change from an Alpine unit to a Pioneer (apparently lights years better and more user friendly).

There's some serious discounts on 11s right now so if you need to buy RIGHT NOW, you'll just have to ask yourself if the 5-10K difference is worth it to get a MY12. Myself, I'm trying to order a MY13 and am coming to find out that Lotus is sheer unorganization.

Why don't you list your "wants" and maybe the forum members will know of a car that will be what you're looking for?

·
Registered
498 Posts
if you can get a deal on a 2012 then go for it. Winter is around the corner and it is your best bet to get a discounted 2012. I would think Jan/2013 early Feb/2013. The Nothern dealers will be more aggressive and will need to move product during the slow winter months. If you wait past Feb it could be too late and they will wait for spring to arrive. ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I concur with the prior input. I just bought a 2012 S. Given the changes, I was set on a 2012 and an S with manual which narrows the selection quite a bit. I thought about waiting to order, but given the uncertainty overall with the company I would not be surprised to see delays in 2013's making it to the US. I was told by Lotus that 2013 cars would start showing up this fall, but I don't think anybody knows for sure. Mine is a 2012 with a 11/11 build date. Gear shifts from 3rd to 2nd are a bit "sketchy", but seems to be loosening up and I also seem to be getting better at it. My car did not have the door latch recall, but my driver's side door pin "sticks". WD49 solved it. My point is that the model year may not be as critical as the actual build date and even then each car may vary a bit. Overall, I am really happy with the car. I am adjusting to it and the looks of the car, the exclusivity and the driving "feel" are what you are paying for. There are definitely other cars for the same money that would be "better" from a features standpoint, but it comes down to emotion. Does the car move you or does it feel boring and common. I walked back through the parking garage this morning and passed probably 5 porsche 911's. GTSC4, C4, turbo, etc. etc. they all look exactly the same and unless you are a car nut nobody knows the difference! Lotus on the other hand, nobody knows what the hell it is, but they know it is unique! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I concur with the prior input. I just bought a 2012 S. Given the changes, I was set on a 2012 and an S with manual which narrows the selection quite a bit. I thought about waiting to order, but given the uncertainty overall with the company I would not be surprised to see delays in 2013's making it to the US. I was told by Lotus that 2013 cars would start showing up this fall, but I don't think anybody knows for sure. Mine is a 2012 with a 11/11 build date. Gear shifts from 3rd to 2nd are a bit "sketchy", but seems to be loosening up and I also seem to be getting better at it. My car did not have the door latch recall, but my driver's side door pin "sticks". WD49 solved it. My point is that the model year may not be as critical as the actual build date and even then each car may vary a bit. Overall, I am really happy with the car. I am adjusting to it and the looks of the car, the exclusivity and the driving "feel" are what you are paying for. There are definitely other cars for the same money that would be "better" from a features standpoint, but it comes down to emotion. Does the car move you or does it feel boring and common. I walked back through the parking garage this morning and passed probably 5 porsche 911's. GTSC4, C4, turbo, etc. etc. they all look exactly the same and unless you are a car nut nobody knows the difference! Lotus on the other hand, nobody knows what the hell it is, but they know it is unique! :)
So true I drove a 360 Ferrari and never got the looks like i get in the Evora. Most people dont know what the heck it is. The 360 is more abundant in Dallas. Still love the sound of the Ferrari:drool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
ferrari sound is just the best in my view. I have not driven a 430 or 458, but I owned a 355 and rented a 360 for a day and though I loved the looks of the 360, I felt like it actually felt very much like the 355. Supposedly the 430 and 458 are in a different league and I don't doubt that. Ferrari is just such a challenge to own and maintain. If you like to drive your cars then they get killed on depreciation if they actually have miles on them. Most Ferrari owners sadly, like to park them in their garages and impress their friends that they have one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ferrari sound is just the best in my view. I have not driven a 430 or 458, but I owned a 355 and rented a 360 for a day and though I loved the looks of the 360, I felt like it actually felt very much like the 355. Supposedly the 430 and 458 are in a different league and I don't doubt that. Ferrari is just such a challenge to own and maintain. If you like to drive your cars then they get killed on depreciation if they actually have miles on them. Most Ferrari owners sadly, like to park them in their garages and impress their friends that they have one.
Yeah, My brother is one of those guys. He has a 360 and NSX in the garage collecting dust. The NSX does have 70k miles on it but it doesn't look a day over 5k. I just sold my GT-R and looking for a car I enjoy driving, looks semi-exotic, decent fuel economy, and relatively maintenance friendly. There aren't too many cars that fit that bill.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Next year I will be looking to buy a newer 430 or a 2 year old V10 R8. My emotional side wants the Ferrari my particle side wants the R8. A Friend in the area has two 458 Ferrari's and I can say it’s in a different league to anything else on the road. Hands down one of the best exotics on the road. If I did not go car crazy over the last 10 years and purchase over 40 cars I could have had a few paid off 458 Ferrari’s sitting in my garage. :shrug::eek: What are your thoughts when comparing your R8 to your Evora S?

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you want a base model, I would get a 2011. If you get a manual, you can upgrade the shifter cables, and I hear that isn't too expensive. 2011 Base models can be had for a steal, around $60k I hear.

As for S models, some dealers are holding 2011s at the same price as 2012s, which I think is crazy. I've seen a few advertised for around $78k though, which seems more reasonable.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
As for S models, some dealers are holding 2011s at the same price as 2012s, which I think is crazy. I've seen a few advertised for around $78k though, which seems more reasonable.
It's not that dealers are holding price on MY11 S but rather Lotus never offered any incentives on that model and the fact that less cars were built in same model. The $78K price is for a pre-owned and not a new although I'm sure a certain dealer with enough S models is willing to work with you on that :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can get a new 2011 S model for around 78k and a pre-owned for around 70k. I am in the market right now and there is definitely some wiggle room.

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
The 2012 is worth the $$$ over the 2011

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
You can get a new 2011 S model for around 78k and a pre-owned for around 70k. I am in the market right now and there is definitely some wiggle room.
If a dealer is willing to lose that kind of money more power to them but I wouldn't call that wiggle room :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
R8 vs evora S. very different cars. R8 sound is way better. Overall refinement is better. The future is way more secure. Evora just has that Lotus feel that is unlike anything else. It is lighter and it is noticeable. I feel very fortunate to own both. Evora of course is a lot less expensive as well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts