The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Probably should say 2014~ at best. I would love to hear some news of progress or info on that engine. Hopefully we won't have to wait on a new owner or for a new own long.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have no problem buying it now -- no need for my deposit
I'm the sole LOTTO WINNER last night!!!
In that case seeing as us Esprit owners are a "tight family", I think you should purchase us all one, estimating that the cost of a new one is $200,000 that is only .0003% of your winnings!!!! Literally pocket change at that point. :nanner:

·
Registered
743 Posts
This time I will not share my loot --- no poor people -- no donation- no friends - not any of my family members --
no nothing!!!
I will spend all at LAS VEGAS -- women -- gambling -- moonshines -- cars -- vacations
and other vices.

I'm sure GOD WILL FORGIVE ME & i don't go to hell.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If it's much over 2800lbs, I'd say they have forgotten what the Esprit was supposed to be (the last Esprit was what, 2600 ~ 2800lbs)? Invariably the cars will get heavier without using exotic materials due to more stringent safety regulations. Also, if it's more than $150k, then it seems to me they would also be missing the point (though maybe they have to price higher to get the right sort of buyers in?)

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it's much over 2800lbs, I'd say they have forgotten what the Esprit was supposed to be (the last Esprit was what, 2600 ~ 2800lbs)? Invariably the cars will get heavier without using exotic materials due to more stringent safety regulations. Also, if it's more than $150k, then it seems to me they would also be missing the point (though maybe they have to price higher to get the right sort of buyers in?)
This is my sentiment as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
I agree on the weight; it will be hard to keep it under 2800 lbs with regulatory requirements (without going to exotic materials like the McLaren MP4-12C. The MP4-12C base MSRP is $229K and it's knocking on 2900 lbs with a carbon fiber tub and extensive aluminum throughout).

Even if the price of the new Esprit were $200K, that is more in line with previous pricing - adjusted for time and inflation, my 88 Esprit was slightly lower than the Ferrari/Porsche of the day. A $200K Esprit would be a bit high, but not out of line of the HISTORICAL target market that Lotus tried to reach.

Note that the original 1977 Esprit S1 in California was ~$17K MSRP and Lotus jacked it to ~$23K MSRP in 1978 - that was a ton of money back then. Considering a 1980 BMW M1 in Germany was about $40K, Lotus pricing was pretty high for what you got.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Modern cars are heavier due to safety regulations.
not entirely.. they are also heavier due to consumer demands - power this, climate that, auto dohicky...

and emissions, and technology advancements have been to more complex (heavier) components. like DSG gear boxes, abs brakes, also interiors are far more complex, with sound

you can strip A LOT of weight out of a modern car and not touch the safety stuff. electric sun roofs, seats, insulation, door panels and weatherstripping.... look a car door from 1960, and a modern car... its staggering the crap that goes into a door now. makes for a nice quite, dry, ride. but it all adds up - building a market competitive car - demands lots of this extra crap. safety stuff is just one other part of it.

you can totaly be light and meet regulatory requirements. it will just be thrashy and cheap looking / feeling. and posue... errr... people want their expensive prestig... errr... sports cars to be "nice" inside now - its a market demand thing. hence why the evora is "overweight"

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree on the weight; it will be hard to keep it under 2800 lbs with regulatory requirements (without going to exotic materials like the McLaren MP4-12C. The MP4-12C base MSRP is $229K and it's knocking on 2900 lbs with a carbon fiber tub and extensive aluminum throughout).

Even if the price of the new Esprit were $200K, that is more in line with previous pricing - adjusted for time and inflation, my 88 Esprit was slightly lower than the Ferrari/Porsche of the day. A $200K Esprit would be a bit high, but not out of line of the HISTORICAL target market that Lotus tried to reach.

Note that the original 1977 Esprit S1 in California was ~$17K MSRP and Lotus jacked it to ~$23K MSRP in 1978 - that was a ton of money back then. Considering a 1980 BMW M1 in Germany was about $40K, Lotus pricing was pretty high for what you got.
From what I've found using online inflation calculators, $1000 in 1978 dollars converts to about $3500 in 2012 dollars, making the 1978 S1 cost about $80k today. That being the case $200k would be more than double the price of the original Esprit.

Searches online tell me the 2013's MSRP is 110k GBP which currently converts to about $175k which is far outside the adjusted original price bracket. This is my issue with them calling it an Esprit. Without any additional calculation it seems to me that a lot of modern rehashes tend to stay true to their original design intent and price. Anyone feel free to check my math.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would love to see this car go to production, but being second quarter an lack of 2012 evora's... I wont hold my breath

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I don't see why people keep yapping about the estimated 200k price tag. Have you seen the specs on this thing? Of course it will be at least 200k. It outdoes the Lambo LP-540 in every way on paper and it will have Lotus handling. Do you really thing you're going to get one for about 130k?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts