Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Doing some web shopping, ran into a 2012 Evora S,
'Internet Price' at 75k in New York
2012 Lotus Evora S 2+2 | Manhattan Motorcars near New York Manhattan pre-approval valley stream ny pre approved

Also ran into a 2013 Evora NA, priced at 76k in Ohio
North Olmsted, OH 2013 Lotus Evora 2+2 New Coupe Columbus, OH Cleveland, OH Collection Motorsports | LDA10172 | SCCLMDTU0DHA10172

Both are starlight black, red piping, and manual transmissions. Which would you go for and why?

-Indy
I just picked up a base Evora IPS, and I can tell you that it feels outright slow compared to my Audi S4 and the Elise SC I had before it.

Once the RPMs load, then it's a rocket, but that initial 0-30 kph is just embarrassing. I know the numbers say 5 seconds to 60, but it just doesn't feel like it at all.

If it wasn't so expensive, then I wouldn't care, but the fact that there a million cars competing in the same price range that can destroy it in a straight line is sad. I know Lotus is about handling, but for $100k (in Canada) I should be able to take out an S4 or Cayman S, no?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I don't see too much of a mechanical or cosmetic difference between a 2012 and 2013 Evora. I'd go for the S for that price - maybe get them to throw in a free first service or something.

The only recent basis I have for pricing was was my local dealer was closing shop and trying to sell their 2013 IPS S for $80K and $77K. So, it's probably not too far off for a 2012 manual (considering they were trying to blow those cars out). But $77K for a 2013 IPS S vs. a 2013 n/a manual - probably not as good. Drop the manual to $73K and probably.

By the way, did you see this: http://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/used/2013-dodge-srt_viper-gts-u11958/
$160K for a Viiper?!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Go for the S at that price. N/A is fine (I own one), but if you want more punch then go with the S. I myself am looking to jump to an S.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just picked up a base Evora IPS, and I can tell you that it feels outright slow compared to my Audi S4 and the Elise SC I had before it.

Once the RPMs load, then it's a rocket, but that initial 0-30 kph is just embarrassing. I know the numbers say 5 seconds to 60, but it just doesn't feel like it at all.

If it wasn't so expensive, then I wouldn't care, but the fact that there a million cars competing in the same price range that can destroy it in a straight line is sad. I know Lotus is about handling, but for $100k (in Canada) I should be able to take out an S4 or Cayman S, no?
I've owned the Cayman S and the S4 (B7 w the 4.2 V8) and now a NA Evora. I disagree completely with your sentiments; it's plenty fast for what it is and the horsepower it puts out. If you just want to a HP/Weight/Cost comparison, the GT500 will seriously hurt the feelings of all the cars mentioned.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
but you can't be hitting the RPM's where they count yet given break in MTL?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
That's a tough choice.....don't worry about 'faster cars' only 'faster drivers'! The Lotus dealer sold the S model the day I went in to buy it, so I had to settle for the NA. Not, I love this car! In the twisties, I love watching the Performance cars fade into the distance.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
but that initial 0-30 kph is just embarrassing. I know the numbers say 5 seconds to 60, but it just doesn't feel like it at all.

but for $100k (in Canada) I should be able to take out an S4 or Cayman S, no?
you line them up in that first 30k in the city cause you will need to deal with life on the street then rev the crap out of it after break in and look back?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So after posting what I posted I took it out for a spin and put it through the paces. Again, it just doesn't have that "bite" from launch like my S4. Once it gets moving, agreed that it's really quick. I called it a rocket in the higher RPMs.

IS this just a break-in thing? I don't know, I won't let the RPMs go above 5000 right now. What would happen if I just put it in first and floored it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your S4 is AWD. What transmission does it have? I have no experience with the IPS evora or with the Automatic S4, but I still maintain that the NA Lotus, in a manual transmission is comparable in launch to the 2006 S4 that I owned. It's also comparable to the Cayman S, though I find it a bit easier to launch the Lotus than the Porsche.

In the end my butt dyno doesn't know the difference between 4.6-4.8 seconds to 60, so I'm not overly concerned about it. The Evora out handles both and feels a lot better doing it.

I'd still take an S over the NA, but the NA is plenty fast.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For those prices, I personally would choose the 2012 S because there are really not that many changes from 2012 to 2013, and S is definitely a better car :) I really like the S rear diffuser too.

I have a 2012 N/A and sometimes wish I have a little more power.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I drove the S and IPS S was frankly disappointed. If there were faster than my NA, it wasn't noticeable, having driven my NA back to back within minutes of taking out the S.

Before that test, I would have said, hell yes just take the S, but now I'd probably prefer the NA for longevity and reliability of an NA over a supercharged car that has what I feel was an insignificant speed improvement (at least at the lower odo ranges). I know the extra horses will help hit higher speeds, but I have no plans breaking a hundred on public roads nor do I plan to track the car any time soon. Another aspect to reliability is that the 2013's have more niggles worked out than the 2012. These cars are full of niggles, and the 2013s would have the least problems thus far, and are the most improved in fit and finish.

Lastly, don't get caught up measuring your car (or yourself) for what it can do over other cars.. You're bound to be disappointed at some point. There's always a car out there that will beat you. You can make any car go faster than another in a straight line. It's not rocket science. Enjoy this car for what it is, not what it isn't. Too many people don't and get butthurt when that guy with the seemingly boring mercedes or mustang blows you away because he's got a few goodies under the hood, and then upgrade to another car, only to be beat again by some other boring car..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got an evora NA wiht radium cai and palck exhaust, the stock model isn't so fast (I had before an exile 240pp), but now with cai and exhaust the car is completely different, specially in low range, fast, aggressive, I love it now...

anyway, in italy taxes are too expansive (for 280 hp I pay every year 800 euros, like 1000 dollars, for an evora S i think 1500/2000 dollars), so in italy I soggest to buy the NA. In USA I don't know... my NA is fast, but at the same price and with few tax, I prefer the S...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've got an 11 NA and the only thing I might want is the S. Not huge but it would be nice. Do the S just so that you don't wish for the upgrade in time.

Whatever we have we seem to want just a little more power ;-)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
In regards to the original poster, keep in mind the S and the non S are about the same price. I think the issues is, are the changes between 2013 and 2012 with the difference between the S and non-S.

I don't recall the differences between 2012 and 2013 but I don't think they were much. If it were a 2011 S vs. 2013 non-S, I could see a bigger argument for the non-S.

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
Take the S for the same price.
While Lotus did a number of changes between MY11 and MY12, their are no material changes between 12 and 13. As to NA vs S; while it has now been years since I did a comparison between the two, the numbers and power curve shape don't lie, the S has more torque and power across the range. Don't know how you can not feel 260 ft-lbs vs 220 ft-lbs difference at only 3000 rpm. Only potential negative I see for the 12 version is a potential of slightly less warranty remaining; that is if "warranty start ticket" has been punched already.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In regards to the original poster, keep in mind the S and the non S are about the same price. I think the issues is, are the changes between 2013 and 2012 with the difference between the S and non-S.

I don't recall the differences between 2012 and 2013 but I don't think they were much. If it were a 2011 S vs. 2013 non-S, I could see a bigger argument for the non-S.
Agree - the difference between the 11 and the 12 was why I waited. I don't think there is much change from a 12 to 13. Could be a few less niggles but my 12 has not had any show stoppers.

I got the S having driven a NA - once the S is broken in, you can relax and really start to drive the car and find the sweet spot for launch and gear changes. The grip off the line is immense and power is smooth and plenty for any 0-30 (and way beyond) action.

Can't say I've 0-30'd head to head with Cayman or S4s etc but having driven both and plenty others (only 911 turbo was in different league hence the bigger sticker price), I chose the Evora S. You drive the Evora. Loved the smoothness of the Audi (too smooth) and Porsche flappy paddles but it was consderably less engaging. Jaguar gearbox / exhaust much more entertaining - for me has the best auto blip going. But Jag handling no where near on par.

Go for the S - good price and good car and as it is the S, you know it's not the NA which may be important for you if you think you've left something on the table.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
. Don't know how you can not feel 260 ft-lbs vs 220 ft-lbs difference at only 3000 rpm. Only potential negative I see for the 12 version is a potential of slightly less warranty remaining; that is if "warranty start ticket" has been punched already.
I think Squid was talking about an S IPS, not feeling any faster than his Manual NA. The IPS would take some of the punch out of the S off the line. I would think a 0-60 sprint between a stick NA and a IPS S would be very close.
I say go for the car that is closest to the color and options that you like.
Ron:UK:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts