The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after not driving the Evora for about a week now and keeping it on the trickle charger, I went for a drive tonight. About 10 or so minutes in I noticed I was no longer in Sport mode, and there was the traction control light lit. So I drive back home, turn off, turn on a few times, and away goes the light. I think, ok maybe we're good, so I take it for a spin to test. After about another 10 minutes, same thing, traction light back on. Go home, off and then on, go for another drive to try to recreate it and see if it happens when I hit the brake. No luck, but again in the 10-15 minute range, it happens again. This time I know I wasn't on the brake. One other thing, it seemed to shift a little harder than I've noticed before on the third drive, not as smooth as normal.

I've read about the brake sensor but I'm curious if anyone thinks that's my problem or if there are other suggestions? I bought this car about 3 weeks ago and am thinking the worst, that my entire summer will have this car in the shop. Any help is very much appreciated!!

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
So after not driving the Evora for about a week now and keeping it on the trickle charger, I went for a drive tonight. About 10 or so minutes in I noticed I was no longer in Sport mode, and there was the traction control light lit. So I drive back home, turn off, turn on a few times, and away goes the light. I think, ok maybe we're good, so I take it for a spin to test. After about another 10 minutes, same thing, traction light back on. Go home, off and then on, go for another drive to try to recreate it and see if it happens when I hit the brake. No luck, but again in the 10-15 minute range, it happens again. This time I know I wasn't on the brake. One other thing, it seemed to shift a little harder than I've noticed before on the third drive, not as smooth as normal.

I've read about the brake sensor but I'm curious if anyone thinks that's my problem or if there are other suggestions? I bought this car about 3 weeks ago and am thinking the worst, that my entire summer will have this car in the shop. Any help is very much appreciated!!
1) Are tires at correct pressures? 2) What are your tire sizes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Tire pressure is approximately 40 in the front, and 35 in the rear. Tires were installed by AutoSport Designs a Lotus dealer in NY, so I assume those are correct. I have driven it probably 7 or 8 times previous to tonight, without issue.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Tire pressure is approximately 40 in the front, and 35 in the rear. Tires were installed by AutoSport Designs a Lotus dealer in NY, so I assume those are correct. I have driven it probably 7 or 8 times previous to tonight, without issue.
Front tire pressures are veery high.. What I am getting at on pressure and tire sizes is that the ABS / Traction control system is very picky about the relative rotation speeds of the wheels and is looking for a normal rotation difference front to back of only a few percent, anything else is an error.so confirm air pressures to door plaque values and tires sizes also agree. If these are eliminated as problems then we can assume you have a problem in the system to be fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What?! Driving on balloons! ? Those are some funky pressures my friend....almost like you're reading them in reverse. I do 32f/34r warmed up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Front tire pressures are veery high.. What I am getting at on pressure and tire sizes is that the ABS / Traction control system is very picky about the relative rotation speeds of the wheels and is looking for a normal rotation difference front to back of only a few percent, anything else is an error.so confirm air pressures to door plaque values and tires sizes also agree. If these are eliminated as problems then we can assume you have a problem in the system to be fixed by the dealer.
Good advice-
After, adjusting to correct tire pressure and confirming correct tire size, If traction control icon (ESP icon) on when it shouldn't be-i.e. Touring mod- manual states error in (ESP)system, to be immediately checked by dealer. No traction control available.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I'll check this morning. I haven't touched the tire pressure since delivery, I assumed the dealer would've had them correct.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'll check this morning. I haven't touched the tire pressure since delivery, I assumed the dealer would've had them correct.
Because your car is an S, I’m assuming you have the 19/20 wheels. If so, you’ll find these recommendations on your door. When cold, 35 psi front and 38 psi back. When using these pressures, I typically see the dashboard read out 37/40 psi to 38/41 psi when driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because your car is an S, I’m assuming you have the 19/20 wheels. If so, you’ll find these recommendations on your door. When cold, 35 psi front and 38 psi back. When using these pressures, I typically see the dashboard read out 37/40 psi to 38/41 psi when driving.

Thanks! So, that's what I'm seeing on the readout, so I think we're good on tire pressure. Any chance this is the brake pedal switch? Or do I need to make the 200 mile trip to a dealer?

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
Thanks! So, that's what I'm seeing on the readout, so I think we're good on tire pressure. Any chance this is the brake pedal switch? Or do I need to make the 200 mile trip to a dealer?
You can try a new switch, they’re so cheap it’s hard not to recommend. Search rock auto for 5106141 and look for the SLS334 switch. You’ll need to cut off two tiny nubs on each one of the retaining arms on the switch, but for under $10 shipped, it’s far cheaper than the official Lotus switch. You can try adjusting your current switch, but if you’re already having problems, they’ll likely just get worse if it is the switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I noticed I typed the tires backwards, so yea I'm a genius. Checked the pressures by hand, all good there according to the sticker. I adjusted/pushed it all the way in, and then pulled it out 5 clicks. Took it for a test drive and all seemed to be ok. I ordered a GRP replacement brake switch ($20), so I'll replace that when it arrives. Hoping that this fixes the issue and it remains fixed.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
One other question, is there a way to test the switch either in or outside the car?
Measure continuity across the terminals using a voltage multi meter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts