The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Been looking for a 2013 S, 2+2 IPS. Prices are all over the place. Met one guy who knew a lot but most dealers/Salespeople know nothing about the cars?

Also many dealers are sitting on new 2011's and 12's, some are discontinuing Lotus altogether but wont price the cars to actually move, its as though they want out of selling lotus completely but don't want to sell the cars?

Whats the best price i can expect for an S 2+2automatic, might be interested in purchasing two? I see one for $74k new.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
53 Posts
It really does seem like a simple supply and demand thing. There aren't very many of them out there, and the dealers know that we know that the differences between '12, '13, and '14 models are negligible (the '11s are a different story, and can be had for a fair amount less). So, the dealers can simply hold onto their inventory until someone like us comes along. They're not really incentivized to move them off the lot.

I just bought a new 2012 Evora S manual for $73k, so the 2013 IPS is a pretty good price (assuming it's the has the right color and options for you).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That's because the dealer can give up the franchise and Lotus will buy the car back for the dealer's purchase price. So there's really no need for them to take a huge loss in selling the cars. Eventually, they just give up the franchise. I do think $73 or $74 K for 2013 IPS S is a good price and consistent with the discounts some dealers for offering when Lotus had a loyalty program and conquest program back in September.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't know if this is always the case, but thought I'd chime in. I've heard several people say that Lotus just buys their cars back if a dealer decides to call it quits. Perhaps this is their normal practice, but I know for a fact that wasn't the case when Lotus of Thousand Oaks folded (Silver Star Motors). They called it quits on the Lotus franchise and 3 or 4 remaining cars they had went to auction. I know this, because when I was shopping for my Evora, I heard they were calling it quits and made them an offer on one of their cars. They politely turned it down, because they said they could get at least what I offered if not more at auction.

Fast forward 2 months later, I'm rolling in my new Evora from a different dealer and a friend of mine that was friends with a used car dealer owner he knows, bought 2 of them at auction. I physically confirmed they were in fact the old Thousand Oaks cars. I only go through the trouble of posting, because something tells me that Lotus probably isn't in a hurry to buy these back any more and it's probably leading to some incredible deals to be had by a lucky few.

If anything, this whole "Lotus buys them back" could even be a myth being put out by dealers to fend off low ball offers. BTW, the offer, I made to TO was actually almost 3500 more than what it went for at auction. Looking back, I'm glad I got my car as it's a late 2011 build vs a launch edition that I made the offer on and I still got an incredible deal on it, just took a little longer to negotiate.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
^interesting post. What i'd really like to know is what the dealers paid for these cars and if they are selling then at a loss in some cases.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can tell you Lotus of TO took a bath on their last few. I actually got mine at cost after about 3-4 weeks of chipping away. Look up one of my very first threads and you'll see what I and a few others paid as a few people started to chime in.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I don't know if this is always the case, but thought I'd chime in. I've heard several people say that Lotus just buys their cars back if a dealer decides to call it quits. Perhaps this is their normal practice, but I know for a fact that wasn't the case when Lotus of Thousand Oaks folded (Silver Star Motors). They called it quits on the Lotus franchise and 3 or 4 remaining cars they had went to auction. I know this, because when I was shopping for my Evora, I heard they were calling it quits and made them an offer on one of their cars. They politely turned it down, because they said they could get at least what I offered if not more at auction.

Fast forward 2 months later, I'm rolling in my new Evora from a different dealer and a friend of mine that was friends with a used car dealer owner he knows, bought 2 of them at auction. I physically confirmed they were in fact the old Thousand Oaks cars. I only go through the trouble of posting, because something tells me that Lotus probably isn't in a hurry to buy these back any more and it's probably leading to some incredible deals to be had by a lucky few.

If anything, this whole "Lotus buys them back" could even be a myth being put out by dealers to fend off low ball offers. BTW, the offer, I made to TO was actually almost 3500 more than what it went for at auction. Looking back, I'm glad I got my car as it's a late 2011 build vs a launch edition that I made the offer on and I still got an incredible deal on it, just took a little longer to negotiate.
It's possible it could be a myth. I can't verify it one way or another. I do know that when Scottsdale Lotus gave up the new car sales part of their franchise, 3 of the 4 new IPS S were marked as sold on 9/30. The remaining car is still on their lot - which is the one people are saying lists for $73k but then they start raising the prices. Maybe they make some kind of deal with Lotus to get deeper discount to keep the car.

But one thing, it's a little alarming the number of dealers that have given up the franchise. Or, maybe I'm jaded because I just lost my dealership.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
several franchises have been given up, others (the desert European ones-Newport, Desert and San Diego) have been sold or moved around..same happened to Dimmit out here (now southpointe) and this sometimes is for better or worse (worse in the Tampa case.)

If you go to the Lotus site, there is still a relatively large dealer network all things considered (moving less than 200 cars a year on average) so I'll consider myself lucky to have a decent one in Orlando.

There are deals to be had. I for one got a screaming deal on my car, that being said, Lotus Cars incentives also come and go-so a lot of the prices we see will depend on what incentives dealers can "move around" and if you are doing a trade, so that they can at least end up neutral or ahead to move a car. That was my case...fabulous trade for the dealer, some incentives to move around, and the need to move the car. As cheesy as it is, to get a "screaming deal" the stars have to align.

But that being said...low 70s for a 13 IPS S car seems like a pretty damn good deal to me considering they sticker at 95k and I would argue the 13 cars can finally justify the prices...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Allan, I'm still trying to figure out why Newport doesn't have any inventory any longer on their website. The change just seemed really sudden and odd. I hope they stick with the brand. Otherwise, it'll be only Galpin in the greater LA area which just seems nutz,

It's possible it could be a myth. I can't verify it one way or another. I do know that when Scottsdale Lotus gave up the new car sales part of their franchise, 3 of the 4 new IPS S were marked as sold on 9/30. The remaining car is still on their lot - which is the one people are saying lists for $73k but then they start raising the prices. Maybe they make some kind of deal with Lotus to get deeper discount to keep the car.

But one thing, it's a little alarming the number of dealers that have given up the franchise. Or, maybe I'm jaded because I just lost my dealership.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you find a car that you truly end up loving to own, maintain and drive- a couple thousand more or less in the price won't really make any difference. A great car with a great driving experience is pretty hard to find these days. I Even find myself thinking at times that I would like to buy ANOTHER Evora so I have a back up if something happens to mine.

If a current or recent car model is well done, you never know if the manufacturer will lessen it somehow in latter versions. I had a 2012 Porsche as a daily driver for 2.5 exquisite months. Then its aluminum frame broke in two from Porsche's piss poor attempt at aluminum welding. Since it was unfixable, I replaced the 2012 with a 2013 model that was supposed to be identical less the pathetic welds. The 2013 model had been done with a cheap, crappy interior and cheap, crappy chassis/ power train. It had lost every ounce of performance and driving joy that the 2012 had in abundance.

Moral: if you find a car that has that magic spark- buy it, keep it and don't sweat the price of a diamond when everything else is a lump of coal. With the Evoras, there are only a handful around for sale. Maybe there will be more built, maybe not. Maybe if they do make more, they might be better, they might be worse. That's a lot of maybes. I think I got mine at a good price, but honestly if I had paid more I would still be damn happy with the car. Turning money into something that can bring you joy is not always that easy.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Allan, I'm still trying to figure out why Newport doesn't have any inventory any longer on their website. The change just seemed really sudden and odd. I hope they stick with the brand. Otherwise, it'll be only Galpin in the greater LA area which just seems nutz,
I've been wondering the same thing. Newport is still listed on Lotus USA'S site but then so is Scottsdale. What concern me the most is that I haven't heard back from Abe when I PM him about it. I suppose I should just call and ask.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Abe mentioned that on Sept 1st the ownership of three dealers under its wing was splitting /selling off. Don't recall if Abe mentioned where he was going, but last night I searched forum and see he is still active here.

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is odd considering that they typically have the largest inventory of any Lotus dealer that I know of. They had at least 12 new cars when I bought mine about two years ago.

I was in San Diego Lotus about two weeks ago. They had exactly one Lotus on the lot (new or used), and it was a 6spd Evora S.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I just called NewPort, they are still a Lotus dealer.
Ron
Thanks Ron. It's been on my "to do" list but I keep getting distracted.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well, they were struggling to move cars before. Maybe the new strategy is hide them and people will panic and come looking for them! Thanks Ron.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Well, they were struggling to move cars before. Maybe the new strategy is hide them and people will panic and come looking for them! Thanks Ron.
i love that:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for 2012/13, is there much difference between S and NA?. I drove both, the S didn't seem to have the low end lag like the NA. The NA didnt seem that different otherwise. Not happy when i got on the NA once from a 25mph roll one and it bogged down without kicking down a gear (IPS), felt very toyota camry-ish. Id imagine with cold air intake and exhaust on a NA for $1500 (approx?) this might take care of that underpowered lag feel with the NA?

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
for 2012/13, is there much difference between S and NA?. I drove both, the S didn't seem to have the low end lag like the NA. The NA didnt seem that different otherwise. Not happy when i got on the NA once from a 25mph roll one and it bogged down without kicking down a gear (IPS), felt very toyota camry-ish. Id imagine with cold air intake and exhaust on a NA for $1500 (approx?) this might take care of that underpowered lag feel with the NA?
Difference in fit and finish, no. Difference in torque bands, tremendous. Difference in price, significant. While the cheapest mods are under $500 each for a BOE CAI or Plack tail pipe and will add give most significant seat of the pants gains in an NA vs. the S, other mods (such as full exhaust from engine block, tunes, etc) are available also for either NA or S .. Without going into the engine you may be able to find up to 20% increase in NA and 15% in the S, but be forewarned, $1500 is the down payment.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Difference in fit and finish, no. Difference in torque bands, tremendous. Difference in price, significant. While the cheapest mods are under $500 each for a BOE CAI or Plack tail pipe and will add give most significant seat of the pants gains in an NA vs. the S, other mods (such as full exhaust from engine block, tunes, etc) are available also for either NA or S .. Without going into the engine you may be able to find up to 20% increase in NA and 15% in the S, but be forewarned, $1500 is the down payment.
Thank, if i understand right, CAI ($500, can install self), exhaust $700-ish?, could i install exhaust myself? If so what type of gains would i get? 290hp?
Workin the number :)

thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts