The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 317 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It sounds like excuses from Pirelli. A team will not run a tire underinflated, that causes heating and wear issues. The correct inflation depends upon weight of car, Temp of the track, and side corner loading on the tires. If you don't have your pressure right for the conditions, you won't be competitive. There is not one magic pressure for all cars and conditions. As for the curbs, I saw close up video of them. They were no worse than other tracks which have not had extreme blow-outs happen. Don't get me wrong, the curbs were not perfect, but they were not bad enough to cause the number of failures seen.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The way I'm thinking right now:
The "correct inflation" could also mean whatever that puts out the fastest lap time, even if it means outside of recommended operating range because that's how you gain competitive edge.
Notable examples were the camber angle that's used by Redbull in 2011.

Then there is "recommended inflation", which would come from tire testing rigs, giving you the optimal camber/slip angle at certain load, plus safety envelop.

All cars are different; some are kinder to the tires(Lotus, Ferrari, Force India) and some are not(Redbull, pre-illegal-testing Mercedes).
The tires are the same for everyone.

It maybe worth noting that all the cars that had tire blowouts had the tires flipped inside out. It was found earlier in the season that teams found performance gains for doing so, despite the tires being directional. Pirelli designed the outside wall to deal with high loads of cornering, etc.

In the case of F1, higher tire pressure contributes to sliding around which lends itself to more wear, especially on the rears. Lowering the pressure would alleviate the issue, but would put more stress on the sidewalls.

The FIA demanded crappy tires from Pirelli, and Pirelli complied.
Teams, being what they are, will do anything to win. There is a saying "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" afterall.

Some gambled. They lost. Don't blame the game since it's same for everyone.
Teams should quit crying and carry on, imho.

---
But in the safety aspect and for the drivers, should Pirelli and the FIA mandate pressure/camber angle/orientation and enforce it? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Looks like Pirelli is changing steel belted tires to kevlar belted ones to shut the complainers up.
They did say, however, that the reason for blowouts were mostly by the teams running the tires in a matter it wasn't intended for. Underinflation, running the tires the wrong direction, etc. In the case of Silverstone, the serrated curb design and irregular track surface at the exit of Becketts were the contributing cause of the whole fiasco...
"The complainers" ? FIVE tires blew out in one race! How are they "running tires in a manner it wasn't intended for"? The inflation is whatever the inflation needs to be to give maximum grip. The tires shouldn't expolde if the teams run them 2 lbs below what Pirelli "thought" they were going to be run at. I find it hard to believe all these teams were running the tires "in the wrong direction" at this one race.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
"The complainers" ? FIVE tires blew out in one race! How are they "running tires in a manner it wasn't intended for"? The inflation is whatever the inflation needs to be to give maximum grip. The tires shouldn't expolde if the teams run them 2 lbs below what Pirelli "thought" they were going to be run at. I find it hard to believe all these teams were running the tires "in the wrong direction" at this one race.
Not the wrong direction, the wrong side! If they ran them in the wrong direction, the tire would unroll like a toilet paper roll...that didn't happen.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I was watching the qualifying today. Looks like Lotus is in a decent position for the start tomorrow. Pirelli came out with rules for using their tires today, minimum pressures for front and rear, maximum cambers for front and rear. There was also a run them in the direction of rotation they are engineered for.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Mid-race, Lotus looking very solid!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Woohoo! what a great race. If you get the chance watch the German Grand Prix on a later showing.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Just finished watching it! Great run by Kimi and RoGro! 1 more lap and Kimi would have had Vet (assuming the tires would hold).

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I felt sorry for this guy!

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
Just finished watching it! Great run by Kimi and RoGro! 1 more lap and Kimi would have had Vet (assuming the tires would hold).
Or maybe one lap earlier in coming in for the change.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Solid qualifying today at Hungary. I am expecting a lot of bad stuff at the race tomorrow. Many of the teams have dialed out a lot of wing, which is causing the cars to handle in a very nervous fashion. They can get away with it during qualification when there are fewer cars on the track, but during the race start tomorrow I fully expect a lot of contact.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Lotus on the podium again!!

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
More than that. Important points wins, great driving by Kimi over Sebestian and crappie penalty on Grosjean, he could have won.. but still with 5 passes through pit lane to be on Alonso tail was great driving.

141 - 160 of 317 Posts