The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have seen various posts about loose connections, bad sensors and the like but let me see if this matches up. I have a 2013 S w/IPS. Has about 1500 miles. In the 3 months I've had a problem with engine stalls. What I mean by that is it appears that the car is in the same state as turning the key to the "on" (not start) position (lights on dash) but the transmission goes into Neutral. I come to a stop, start the car, put in drive "D" and go on my way.

This has happened 3 times. All within a couple minutes of starting the car, coming to a full stop at an intersection, accelerating and making a 90 degree turn (twice left, one right). Fortunately I have not had someone right behind me when this has happened. I first thought that maybe being cold (less than 40 degrees and the car was outside) could be a problem but if so this should be happening more now. I would not call this limp mode as the engine is most definitely off. I have an OBD II reader and have not seen codes thrown. I was back to the dealer for the 1000 mile checkup and asked for for latest software update but apparently the website was down at that time so I can't state one way or another if I have the latest levels or not. All 3 times within a mile or two from my house so the route is very well traveled for this very intermittent problem. Any takers?

Any takers?

·
Registered
856 Posts
So the engine dies and the transmission shifts into neutral while the car is still moving?

·
Registered
301 Posts
My car also a 2013 S IPS stalled once just like a manual car would. Had to switch off and turn the car back on. Might be buggy TCU software that needs an update.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'd guess ECU/TCU also.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Software Update?

Yes, I'm hoping it is a software update to the ECU. The fact that it goes from 1st (or maybe when going to 2nd, hard to recognize at that moment) to me sounds like there is something software related taken an action. Maybe the IPS Trans recognizes the engine turning off and in motion so and goes to neutral.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ok, I have seen various posts about loose connections, bad sensors and the like but let me see if this matches up. I have a 2013 S w/IPS. Has about 1500 miles. In the 3 months I've had a problem with engine stalls. What I mean by that is it appears that the car is in the same state as turning the key to the "on" (not start) position (lights on dash) but the transmission goes into Neutral. I come to a stop, start the car, put in drive "D" and go on my way.

This has happened 3 times. All within a couple minutes of starting the car, coming to a full stop at an intersection, accelerating and making a 90 degree turn (twice left, one right). Fortunately I have not had someone right behind me when this has happened. I first thought that maybe being cold (less than 40 degrees and the car was outside) could be a problem but if so this should be happening more now. I would not call this limp mode as the engine is most definitely off. I have an OBD II reader and have not seen codes thrown. I was back to the dealer for the 1000 mile checkup and asked for for latest software update but apparently the website was down at that time so I can't state one way or another if I have the latest levels or not. All 3 times within a mile or two from my house so the route is very well traveled for this very intermittent problem. Any takers?

Any takers?
My 2013 IPS also threw up 5-6 codes and went into limp mode on two occasions. At first I jiggled the throttle body connector and it went away, but not after the second time. The dealer said there was a reflash of the ECU/TCU that was needed (this was in October 2013) and they did so. No more issues after that. Could be just that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts