The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
i am more impressed by how many cars finished...

what a cock up - the FIA has lost it....

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
i am more impressed by how many cars finished...

what a cock up - the FIA has lost it....
I don't disagree, but which part are you specifically referring to as the cock up? :D

I know is superficial and has been mentioned many times, but the sound is so awfully underwhelming.

Has anyone compared laptimes to 2013? Just curious...

-PV

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't disagree, but which part are you specifically referring to as the cock up? :D

I know is superficial and has been mentioned many times, but the sound is so awfully underwhelming.

Has anyone compared laptimes to 2013? Just curious...

-PV
[source F1.com]

Australian Grand Prix 2013
Fastest lap:
Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault 1:29.274

Australian Grand Prix 2014
Fastest lap:
Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:32.478

That's about... not quite half a life time in racing terms.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Agree....Although, pretty amazing that they're so similar despite such fantastic spec changes with new tires, "power units" instead of engines, and downforce (less of it)...

-PV

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
the way the cars sound and look - IMO - is irrelevant. what matter to me is why the engineers make the cars look and sound the way they do. what the FIA has done is "spec'd" so much in detail and COMPONENTS on the cars that now - the teams are not struggling to find the optimized "configuration of a formula" its a race to see how can integrate the FIA spec components into a package.

"here is your buckets of parts you HAVE to use. can't change anything. the only thing you get to do is build the car from the parts we say you can use"

if the FIA wanted an efficiency formula they should just give the teams the 130 or whatever liters of fuel. and say. v-12? turbo 3 cyl and 200 lbs of batteries? 14 speed gearbox? you figure it out - thats all the fuel you get - figure out the fastest way around the track - now go innovate!

after 2 years a very obvious optimal "spec" would start to appear from that "formula" instead of the FIA dictating some random pre-cooked spec of components.

the aero/body regulations vs the engine (power unit) should have been split into 2 years IMO.

i predict a lot of infractions and protest. because the FIA is mandating a performance spec, by mandating a prescriptive spec... and it doesn't work that way if the prescriptive component doesn't meet the performance requirement - everyone is automatically cheating this year.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Agree....Although, pretty amazing that they're so similar despite such fantastic spec changes with new tires, "power units" instead of engines, and downforce (less of it)...

-PV
time had pretty big gaps, not similar (IMO) - as would be expected with everyone at radically different stages, in different areas, of development....

as the year goes on its should stand to reason that times will get very tight - as everyone will be on the same tightly defined and provided component specification. spec racing is close racing. thats what the FIA is trying to do (veiled in "green")

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
the way the cars sound and look - IMO - is irrelevant. what matter to me is why the engineers make the cars look and sound the way they do. what the FIA has done is "spec'd" so much in detail and COMPONENTS on the cars that now - the teams are not struggling to find the optimized "configuration of a formula" its a race to see how can integrate the FIA spec components into a package.

"here is your buckets of parts you HAVE to use. can't change anything. the only thing you get to do is build the car from the parts we say you can use"

if the FIA wanted an efficiency formula they should just give the teams the 130 or whatever liters of fuel. and say. v-12? turbo 3 cyl and 200 lbs of batteries? 14 speed gearbox? you figure it out - thats all the fuel you get - figure out the fastest way around the track - now go innovate!

after 2 years a very obvious optimal "spec" would start to appear from that "formula" instead of the FIA dictating some random pre-cooked spec of components.

the aero/body regulations vs the engine (power unit) should have been split into 2 years IMO.

i predict a lot of infractions and protest. because the FIA is mandating a performance spec, by mandating a prescriptive spec... and it doesn't work that way if the prescriptive component doesn't meet the performance requirement - everyone is automatically cheating this year.
Yep

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
I prefer the Lotus asymmetrical take better than the other appendage nosed cars though.:eek:
The sound is definitely a disappointment at the least...

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
No comments on the KL race? Hey, in the special crippled car GP category, Grosjean at least beat Kimi and they both finished.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
What's the deal with Vettle?

Although Seb is still ahead on points, Ricciardo seems to be the better driver. This is twice now that Seb has been ordered to step aside for the quicker Aussie. Some are questioning that it was the car all along and that this is proof. Myself, I think it's way too early to tell and we know that some drivers take a little bit to adjust to a new car than others. I'm not sold on Ferrari just yet but I am sold that Alonso is the better driver...don't know what's going on with Kimi :shrug:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Although Seb is still ahead on points, Ricciardo seems to be the better driver. This is twice now that Seb has been ordered to step aside for the quicker Aussie. Some are questioning that it was the car all along and that this is proof. Myself, I think it's way too early to tell and we know that some drivers take a little bit to adjust to a new car than others. I'm not sold on Ferrari just yet but I am sold that Alonso is the better driver...don't know what's going on with Kimi :shrug:

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Romain is showing the form of last year to run with the (2nd Tier) Top a Dogs. Mercedes remaining untouchable lapping well into the points cars.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Thanks to sh*tty Fox sports, they're not repeating this race, so i will never be able to watch. :mad: I only got to watch qualies. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yep, if you don't watch it at the crack of dawn, you have to watch it on the Spanish speaking channel.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Yep, if you don't watch it at the crack of dawn, you have to watch it on the Spanish speaking channel.
they always repeat the race at 11am or 730pm-ish. Sometimes a 3rd time on Mondays, but this is the first one they didn't repeat AT ALL.

What channel is the spanish one? Probably too late already.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts