The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to put a new exhaust on my 2014 S. Would love to do the Plack but its my daily driver for the summer months so I need something a bit less aggressive. Looks like my options are the Top Speed Titanium (like the weight savings), the Larini sport (without the valve), or just a stainless cat back from Ebay (which I suspect is just the Top Speed stainless).

Any other options I should be looking at? Any thoughts on the Larini vs. the Top Speed?

Thx...

·
RegisteredUser of a Lotus
82 Posts
I'm picking up an exhaust system from 2bular. I would definitely give them a look! They had the sound, quality, and performance upgrade I was looking for at a price that isn't the cheapest, but is more than fair.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think I have the Larini sport w/o the valve on my '11 S, at least that's what it looks like to me. PO had it installed. Sounds just OK, no drone, but a little too quiet I think and I'm not one for loud exhaust. Everyone's tastes are different but it wouldn't be my first choice if I were buying. The valved exhaust though is something I would definitely consider, quiet when cruising and loud when you give her the beans as the brits say. Why were you only considering the non-valved Larini? I also own a C5 Z06 with stock exhaust and compared to the Lotus it sounds like a Nitro Funny Car.
1:17 mark is the Larini sport I think (I could be wrong)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly sound and weight reduction. If I end up with a less restricted exhaust, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mostly sound and weight reduction. If I end up with a less restricted exhaust, that's a bonus.
Makes sense. Sound is a really personal thing, and hard to pin down by listening to videos on line, but a lot of these guys are good at describing it, and the manufacturer websites are helpful.
I haven't done any flow bench work here, but if you look at the exhaust path of a stock "S" muffler in open (sport) mode, I don't think its much different, or offers any more restriction than any of the accessory mufflers that are available - and its pretty easy to set the muffler up so its always open. Personally, I like the thicker stainless and don't think I would feel a 20 pound weight reduction - but I wouldn't mind a lower exhaust note (just not louder!) It just doesn't bother me $800 worth! :grin2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I have the Larini sport w/o the valve on my '11 S, at least that's what it looks like to me. PO had it installed. Sounds just OK, no drone, but a little too quiet I think and I'm not one for loud exhaust. Everyone's tastes are different but it wouldn't be my first choice if I were buying. The valved exhaust though is something I would definitely consider, quiet when cruising and loud when you give her the beans as the brits say. Why were you only considering the non-valved Larini? I also own a C5 Z06 with stock exhaust and compared to the Lotus it sounds like a Nitro Funny Car.
1:17 mark is the Larini sport I think (I could be wrong)
https://youtu.be/JmBiclIO0aA
Awesome video, thanks for posting. Is there any way to tell what each of those are...?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm picking up an exhaust system from 2bular. I would definitely give them a look! They had the sound, quality, and performance upgrade I was looking for at a price that isn't the cheapest, but is more than fair.
Let us know how that goes with Jim. Lots of folks have had some LOOOOOONG wait times, months and months. He makes some very nice stuff...if you can get it! I would love one of his setups.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
I've had the topspeed stainless w/ resonator, and now have the non-valved Larini Sport. (running with Larini decat pipe and stock cat headers)

The Topspeed sounds amazing at WOT, but drones enough between 2k-3k that I sold it... I prefer the Larini, which you can control the volume with your right foot. No drone, and it's pretty quiet unless you're at high RPM and heavy throttle, at which point it's pleasantly scorching. I think it weighs 20lbs?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Topspeed sounds amazing at WOT, but drones enough between 2k-3k that I sold it... I prefer the Larini, which you can control the volume with your right foot. No drone, and it's pretty quiet unless you're at high RPM and heavy throttle, at which point it's pleasantly scorching. I think it weighs 20lbs?
For the record, I have the topspeed with resonator in titanium. No drone at all. But based on this, I would go titanium as the resonance must be different

I love it - the perfect loudness for me, sounds just like an Evora should

·
Registered
482 Posts
Once you go Plack, you never go back...... because it makes you tone deaf after one month and sounds quiet thereafter! :grin2:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also have the topspeed titanium with resonator on my 13S. Leaving my subdivision quiet until press the sport button. The sound and the weight saving are my main reason in getting it.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Baffled 2bular gives maximum weight savings with optimum sound levels that attenuate to not become ridiculous. At WOT 6000+ rpms I get pegged at 90-dB at 50ft.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just had a valved Larini exhaust put on my 2012 S - it's fantastic. It sounds great when you drive aggressively but is nearly silent when cruising. It's really well tuned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had a valved Larini exhaust put on my 2012 S - it's fantastic. It sounds great when you drive aggressively but is nearly silent when cruising. It's really well tuned.
Am warming to the topspeed titanium. I notice that you're in Seattle @mack73 - so am I. Any chance we could arrange a time to listen to your car up close sometime? On a related note, nice color choice. There's something special about a Lotus in racing green.

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Registered
208 Posts
Agreed. I'm happy with the Larini on my Evora S as well. :up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like a decat pipe for my 14 s, and I am interested in the larini exhaust, I can’t find them, does anyone have a source?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts