424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a gorgeous car. They lasted until the final two hours

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Russian team was surprisingly good. Even on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get the Nissan at all. Front engine, reversed track stagger, etc. Plus, they were slower than molasses in January. In Wisconsin.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A technical question. The fronts used to have louvers in the front bodywork, to equalize the high pressure area in the wheel wells. Now, all the teams have simply left them open on top (and that's from 2011 when I was there last). I can't imagine that this is more efficient, but it must be. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The course fleet under the podium

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The course fleet under the podium. A little too German in La Sarthe maybe? On the other hand, Porsche was primarily there to deny Audi another win and to retain the record. Maybe this is a German contest carried out on French soil. Sounds familiar somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jittery

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amurrican Iron doing well against all that Europe can muster...

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dempsey"s effort did very well in the end. A class win. Well done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
A technical question. The fronts used to have louvers in the front bodywork, to equalize the high pressure area in the wheel wells. Now, all the teams have simply left them open on top (and that's from 2011 when I was there last). I can't imagine that this is more efficient, but it must be. Any ideas?

I forget who told me, but it was someone deeply involved in sports car racing. When teams first started doing the louvres, the rules dictated the location and spacing of the louvres but not the thickness. Audi (I think) found out that they improved performance when they removed certain louvres in the middle but they were allowed to. Since the louvres' construction wasn't mandated, they used thinner, weaker ones in the middle and debris would bust them out during the race. Then they 'accidentally' had a better setup. Pretty slick, huh?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
953 Posts
I forget who told me, but it was someone deeply involved in sports car racing. When teams first started doing the louvres, the rules dictated the location and spacing of the louvres but not the thickness. Audi (I think) found out that they improved performance when they removed certain louvres in the middle but they were allowed to. Since the louvres' construction wasn't mandated, they used thinner, weaker ones in the middle and debris would bust them out during the race. Then they 'accidentally' had a better setup. Pretty slick, huh?
The louvers were used because the rules required the bodywork to cover the tires when viewed from above. As stated above, teams built weak louvers to break away. At some point the rules were changed to allow the opening.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, that's pretty slick. I just was wondering about the aero. But I got a ton of pictures of the front ends of the LMP1 and LMP2 cars, and all of them were bluntnosed with the "cutouts" in the top wheel section. A wind tunnel doesn't lie. Unsually.

Stephen.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Interesting about the cutouts. At least stones and debris flicking off at speed can't reach the narrow windscreen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts