The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Flow Lotus (Winston-Salem NC) to have my final under warranty service and they had a just delivered 2017 Evora 400. It was an IPS and since I have a 2013 Evora S I figured it was a good comparison. They asked me if I wanted to take a test drive and that was an easy decision. I put on miles 11-20 on the car. I got into the drivers seat as I would in my Evora and immediately noticed the difference in the width and height of the door sill. It was easier to get in but it now felt odd after doing it a certain way for 3 years. The next thing I notice was there is no center arm rest as I normally use that as part of the entry and exit. While I was pondering that I noticed the cup holder where the arm rest used to be and was between the seats. I hadn't done anything yet and could really tell there were ergonomic changes!

The seats are from Sparco rather than Recaro. It felt fine and I would say while they are similar it did not have as a pronounced bolster as the Recaro. The much maligned buttons on the dash are pretty much gone as relocated to above the entertainment/Nav system. Thankfully there is no gaudy LOTUS spelled out anywhere. There are no controls in the door arm rest and they are very logically on the dash. There is still the key with the same Lotus fob but to start the car you insert the key and push the Start button on the upper left of the wheel (at least it is on the left hand drive car). Again, looks cool but takes a minute to process it as my wife's car (Sonata) has the push button Start but no key required.

The instrument cluster made more sense to me. The are all in white rather then red. An odd side affect of that is with my polarized sun glasses the readings disappeared where with the red numbers I could see them. The tachometer even has the "red line" numbers in red as you would have expected all along (see pic). The layout is difference but it works. I may have imaged it but there is a little portal on the top center between the tac and speedo and I thought it showed the actual speed in decimal and in the correct measurement (mph). There was a lot going on in my test drive so that may have been a hallucination.

Enough of the aesthetics, when you fire up the 400 with the intercooled supercharger you immediately hear the new "gruntier" exhaust. This increases with the Sport mode. There is a "Race" mode now which I assume fiddles with traction control and ECU as there is no TC on/off button. As for driving, it is still an Evora My limited test drive on local roads and a brief blast on I-40 shows you can exceed the speed limit while you are on the on-ramp much less the highway.

I enclosed a few pictures but these are readily available. When I got back the salesman was more than happy to give me an offer with my Evora as a trade so they must not be to concerned about getting others. He said it was the best way to extend my warranty for 3 years :clap: Thankfully I'm not in the market to "trade up".

I must admit I was suitably impressed. The IPS shifts were noticeably smother and quicker. While the car is somewhat more aggressively styled, in person it really looked appropriate for the market they are going for and it would not surprise me if someone came up with an after-market grill replacement if someone thought it was over styled.

I will say that the rear wing provides a much stronger way to use it to raise and lower the boot now that it is attached in the center with the 3rd brake light. I'm always worried about being too aggressive on my Evora as it feel like there is more flex when I open/close the boot.

For those who might want to check it out I would recommend it. They only had the one so I'd call in advance to the dealership to make sure it was still there. The red and tan color scheme will give you the Ferrari look at least to the uninitiated.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
How was the exhaust? Thank you for the detailed writeup. That color combo is so sexy.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Classic color combo. If it were not for the Persian Blue, that would be my next choice!!!

When the auto tranny is upgraded to a PDK quality unit that will be tough enough for routine track duty, I'll be interested in a new one. IPS is very good, but its still a generation behind the best.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I have a tan interior, and of course the current cars are all one color on the inside upholstery. I wasn't sure I'd like the two-tone color scheme they are now using, with the dark dash top, but now seeing it, I think I definitely don't like it, especially as they chose to have the radio surround also dark. I'm sure it's a cost savings move, as many more pieces are standardized across every car, but not sure it now makes sense to get any color except black, or a dark color, for the inside. And no homelink right? Wonder if that is also about cost, or about the need to have no wiring in the roof for when they start making the targa version.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given some of the comments decided to add a few more pics (shrunk then down to be acceptable size).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
The tan is hot!

Is it the same leather as the previous generation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts