The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to take off the rear wing to remove a bunch of water spots, etc as the dealer didn’t take care of the car like they should have while it was in their possession before purchase. Just thought I would share some pics of how you can take it off and what to expect as I could find nothing to guide me. I took the time to polish the wing completely and wax while it was off the car so I could get to all the crevices, etc. This required taking it apart into the three base pieces. As you remove the wing, there is a rubber grommet sealing the Brake wire harness. I found it easier to just pull the entire grommet out rather than compromising the grommet by pulling the brake light wiring harness out.
Polished using a Mikita Orbital Polisher. Used Chemical Guys V36 Cutting Polish first, followed by Chemical Guys V38 Final Polish, finally Meguiars Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. Did this to the whole car. There were some light scratches on the roof and hips that are completely gone. Body looks flawless.
Took some jig building to hold the wing pieces in place for the orbital polisher while they were on the bench. Images below. All in all it was a pretty straight forward process getting the wing off once I had the right tools. You’ll definitely need some plastic trim removing tools to get the felt inside boot cover out of the way. Be very careful with the plastic clips, they are fragile. The rubber washers were mostly all shot so expect to replace those as well. Be careful with loose metal washers falling into the various holes around the body parts, there are a bunch!!
Took the time to replace the vinyl stripe as well. Hope this info finds itself useful to someone else!
Cheers!!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I needed to take off the rear wing to remove a bunch of water spots, etc as the dealer didn’t take care of the car like they should have while it was in their possession before purchase. Just thought I would share some pics of how you can take it off and what to expect as I could find nothing to guide me. I took the time to polish the wing completely and wax while it was off the car so I could get to all the crevices, etc. This required taking it apart into the three base pieces. As you remove the wing, there is a rubber grommet sealing the Brake wire harness. I found it easier to just pull the entire grommet out rather than compromising the grommet by pulling the brake light wiring harness out.
Polished using a Mikita Orbital Polisher. Used Chemical Guys V36 Cutting Polish first, followed by Chemical Guys V38 Final Polish, finally Meguiars Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. Did this to the whole car. There were some light scratches on the roof and hips that are completely gone. Body looks flawless.
Took some jig building to hold the wing pieces in place for the orbital polisher while they were on the bench. Images below. All in all it was a pretty straight forward process getting the wing off once I had the right tools. You’ll definitely need some plastic trim removing tools to get the felt inside boot cover out of the way. Be very careful with the plastic clips, they are fragile. The rubber washers were mostly all shot so expect to replace those as well. Be careful with loose metal washers falling into the various holes around the body parts, there are a bunch!!
Took the time to replace the vinyl stripe as well. Hope this info finds itself useful to someone else!
Cheers!!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts