The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing "Evora 400" and "Evora 410", both with the same 2018 model year. Did Lotus do a mid-year change?

I'd say it was solely cosmetic (automatically include the carbon fiber engine hatch and front access hatch, etc.) but for that "410" and the implied 10 HP power bump. Just lightening the weight (thanks to the carbon fiber) doesn't add horsepower, there must have been an ECU programming change to actually yield more output power from the same engine and supercharger. Yet the "400" and the "410" both seem to have the same model year.

What's going on here?

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
They're a different model, with a few changes here and there (including the +10 HP). @Julian73 has a 410 and can probably list all the differences.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The 410 HP, along with the carbon fiber seats and the cup tires, applied to the Euro spec cars in 2017 and 2018, but not to the federal Evora 410. The weight savings over the 400, though, was the big difference due to Lithiom battery, carbon deck lid and roof, and (if equipped) Ti exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just funny that they're both 2018's. Did they offer them at the same time, with the 410 at a higher price?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh... so the federal 410 is still 400 HP?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2018 we're hoping to buy has the carbon fiber engine hatch and front access panel, but not the Ti exhaust and carbon fiber roof. Maybe I need to have a custom rear badge that says "Evora 405".

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
Julian owns one. He will explain.

·
Loves to talk
1,055 Posts
Yes, the 400 and 410 use the same programming for the same power. I suppose Julian or Scott can address this, but without having the roof in CF, I am a bit unclear what the 410 offers that a 400 with a CF lift gate doesn't apart from the Ti exhaust and LI battery if they are indeed fitted. In other words, a 400 can be made into a 410 if the 410 doesn't have a CF roof although I believe there are also some differences in the suspension setup, one of which is related to the shock mounts (?)....also retrofittable IIRC.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So while "400" refers to horsepower, "410" does not.

Hmm.

For some reason, that reminds me of the old adage: "The nice thing about standards is there are so many different ones to choose from."

·
Loves to talk
1,055 Posts
Yes, but only in the USA. In Europe, the 410 has a different tune than the 400 so it meets the promise of a bit more suds. I think it was a question of certification (re-certification that is for the minor differences) but that begs the question of how the GT got its extra ponies if the 410 couldn't be sold under the same certification as a 400. The 410 is exceedingly rare here so there may well be added value which needs to be calculated when considering the value proposition. To me, the difference is not a big deal but it is none the less real. The bigger change comes in with the GT as you know.

I'm looking into a KT tune just now and between that, the CF lift gate I added earlier this year and a few other weight saving measures I have in mind, I've no doubt a 400 can be reasonably modified to exceed the performance of a stock 410 at a discount from the cost delta. Of course, mine won't be a true 410 or 430 but it will emulate their performance without forcing acquisition of a new car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The federal 410 did include, from what I can tell, ”re-valved dampers” with an increase in compression and rebound, with a ride height reduction of 5mm. Most of the package was focused on weight savings from the carbon bits. Also, the 410 had ultra-lightweight alloy rims, proving some weight reduction over the 400 rims. The 410 GP like Julian’s had the ultra-lightweight rims, but in gold trim. The biggest disappointment to me was not the 10 HP, but the fact that we couldn’t get the lighter non airbag carbon seats.

·
Registered
278 Posts
FYI the 410 forged wheels were optional on the 400s (mine came with them). The 410 was marketed as a little more hardcore than the 400 and is very, very rare (as if 400s are falling from trees!).

Edit: I was wrong - the forged 400 wheels were shared with the Euro GT430 not the 410. The 410 wheels were a little lighter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wirewheel has one up for sale and lists out some of the specs. 2017 Lotus Evora 410 GP Edition for sale

1 of 5 Sport 410 GP Editions in the US

$122,690 MSRP

GP Edition Lightweight Carbon Fiber body panels

GP Edition Bilstein shocks

132 lbs lighter than the standard Evora

Michelin performance tires on lightweight factory forged wheels
edit: Looks like its actually the same car that was at GatorMotorspot which posted a more detailed thread 2017 Lotus Evora 410 GP / EXTREMELY RARE 1 of 5! /...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looks like Wirewheel needs to edit their ad to reflect the fact that Lotus imported 9 of the GP 410 editions.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a beautiful car, but it's missing a critical component: The stick!

Who would have thought it a good idea to put an automatic transmission in a special edition Lotus like that. Mind-boggling. Absolute instantaneous fatal deal-killer for me.

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
It is the end of an era. Rowing doesn't make us faster like it used to 20years ago and beyond. I will soon have a direct comparo ability. See updated sig. The NA IPS is plenty fast for my wife.

Its amzing how the manual hardcores wail about this yet in EVERY race series known to man, the first upgrade is the transmission...hmmmm what do they know???

BTW you could also order a decontented 410 with no AC, radio etc. It is still the Lightest Evora in the states esp in that form.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me, it's not about pure numbers. It's about fun, and driver engagement.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More: That's actually the key thing that makes me favor Lotus. There are lots of faster cars, and most supercars seem focused on the pursuit of speed. But there are limited places where you can exercise that ability and even fewer where you can do so safely. OTOH, I have lots of twisty winding roads nearby where the unmatched handling and engagement of a Lotus can be enjoyed anytime. Speed is more of a brute force endeavor... handling is a matter of elegance and Engineering. I'm attracted to the latter.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
45 Posts
More: That's actually the key thing that makes me favor Lotus. There are lots of faster cars, and most supercars seem focused on the pursuit of speed. But there are limited places where you can exercise that ability and even fewer where you can do so safely. OTOH, I have lots of twisty winding roads nearby where the unmatched handling and engagement of a Lotus can be enjoyed anytime. Speed is more of a brute force endeavor... handling is a matter of elegance and Engineering. I'm attracted to the latter.
Well said!

Reactions: IDEngineer

·
Registered
278 Posts
IDEngineer - you have 100% the right attitude about owning a 400/410/GT. You don't buy one to be the biggest/fastest - you own one because you value an exciting and well-engineered car that happens to be rare and cool. If you live near some good back roads, you will be in Heaven with one of these cars! And, to be honest, they are wonderful to drive even just to work on normal roads in ways that any modern 911 fades into being a Camry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts