The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many threads regarding Evora hydraulic lines overheating due to their placement, the factory fix being wrapping the lines in insulating tape, etc. We're now preparing to buy a 2018 unit. Was this issue fixed by that model year, or is this something I should have the dealer handle at the PPI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
if your car is a MT then there should be insulating wrap on the line into the clutch slave cylinder. You can inspect this visually. The other issue talked about here is the infamous stock plastic clutch master cylinder that can get hot because of proximity to the coolant lines running in and out of the front radiator stack. Not much you can do about this other than wait and see if it fails or replace it preemptively with one of the aftermarket options.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, manual transmission. Was the insulating wrap standard from the factory by the 2018 model year, or is this a TSB that was supposed to be added by dealers?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It was added as a running change:

Just be mentally prepared for a soft or falling clutch pedal at some point. They don't all do this, but a good majority of them eventually do. And no amount of heat wrap will change the proximity of the master cylinder to the very hot radiator lines.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It happened on my 2010 NA and 2014 S. Hasn’t happened yet through three Arizona summers on my 2017 400. Of course, I’ve just doomed myself now. :censored:

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2017 400 has the wrap on the clutch slave cylinder line but the fluid always looks pretty discolored when I bleed the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Make sure you replace with high temp fluids every other years and the car should be good. Or replace the fluids if it looks brown.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: this MC failure-has anyone experienced failure of a replaced metal Wilwood or Tilton unit? Also, how many failures of 400 OEM units out there?
And, thanks to brgelise noting the closeness of hot cooling tube right next to MC/output line, failure seems understandable now-was always confused about the overheated slave/input line as the source....and, with this additional knowledge, why not insulated the cooling tube (or everything at risk in the area), reroute MC output line (as brgelise did) and address this heat source area.......this will be my approach when/if I experience failure.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for that. You had 2-2.5 ft of the line going to MC up against the radiator line so the fluid will always be ~180-200+ degrees going into MC once warmed up

·
Scott M
279 Posts
And, thanks to brgelise noting the closeness of hot cooling tube right next to MC/output line, failure seems understandable now-was always confused about the overheated slave/input line as the source....and, with this additional knowledge, why not insulated the cooling tube (or everything at risk in the area), reroute MC output line (as brgelise did) and address this heat source area.......this will be my approach when/if I experience failure.
+1
I happened to read the post (brgelise’s?) about the hot coolant line up front the morning I was putting the front back together after the MC install. I had already purchased some DEI heat shielding which seemed to cover the coolant hose/pipe perfectly and chose to add some protection to the line from the reservoir line as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Evora 400 clutch master cylinder has been fine so far but if/when I take the front clam off I will probably replace it and add some shielding- it would be great to see some pictures of shielding on the coolant pipes to insulate them from the clutch line. It does seem strange that the brakes are so built but the clutch cylinder isn't. As has been noted elsewhere this may have something to do with the fact that its not visible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The factory insulation wrap on the slave cylinder lines on my car left a lot to be desired, only ~6" and loosely wrapped. Did the same with some DEI wrap rep'd by the others here, along with having replaced the MC with a Wilwood. Didn't wrap the new line, but routed the SS lines as far over from the pipes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts