The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Katie's, 01/20/18

I planned to drive the Elise to Katie's this morning... the Elise planned differently. I had a problem starting the car, several weeks ago, and discovered that I needed to use my CTEK charger on a different setting (the cold weather setting), since it is an 'AGM' type battery. It seems that the battery was at the end of its life, since that strategy worked, but only for a few more weeks. Now, I need to buy a new one. Oh, well.

A decent crowd at Katie's, even including a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Oh, and my Subaru.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Are these meets every week in Jan and Feb? Or is it just every few weeks?

I may be in the area on Saturday Feb 10 and was wondering if there would be a meet on that day.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Are these meets every week in Jan and Feb? Or is it just every few weeks?

I may be in the area on Saturday Feb 10 and was wondering if there would be a meet on that day.
Didn't you drive the Lotus down one time?

They are every Saturday, but the turnout is influenced by the weather.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I moved to the southern end of DC suburbia in the quest of having garage space, so the 1hr drive at 6am has deterred my from making it in a while. I guess I can't really complain about that though to the guy who drove from Canada, haha

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't you drive the Lotus down one time?

They are every Saturday, but the turnout is influenced by the weather.
Very true - just plain cold weather, and we could have a very good turnout, with lots of exotics. If it's dry, but salt is on the roads, exotics are scarce. Raining, snowing, or very wet - only the diehards go.

So far this year, we've had a week of single-digit (Fahrenheit) cold, followed by several days in the 60's, and back to single-digits. Almost no snow down here, though...

I'm hoping for good weather on the 10th, not only for Katie's, but for our club planning meeting later that morning. (You're welcome to come, if you like...)

--Bob Collum

·
Registered
249 Posts
I moved to the southern end of DC suburbia in the quest of having garage space, so the 1hr drive at 6am has deterred my from making it in a while. I guess I can't really complain about that though to the guy who drove from Canada, haha
Same I try my hardest to make it out there when I can. Can't make it this weekend but I'm going to try and get out there as much as I can this year.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Katie's, 01/27/18

A very good turnout of cars at Katie's this morning. I was disappointed that I had the only Lotus there today, but Tyler brought his Mini (though I never ran into him), and Victor was there in his Jaguar XK. I really try to have pictures of Lotus here for you every week, but this will have to do - this time. Here, in addition to my Elise, are three Lotus 'sister cars'. Want more Lotus pics? BRING YOUR LOTUS TO KATIE'S!

Bonus pictures - Victor, arriving in his Jag XK, and the Ferrari Daytona there today!

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Katie's, 02/03/18

Well, we've made it to February, though Punxutawney Phil says we have 6 more weeks of winter. It was 15F when I got to Katie's this morning, but at least there was no wind. A reasonable amount of cars showed up. No Lotus there, save mine.

We had a Ferrari 308, a McLaren, a Hennessey 850 Mustang, and a brand-new Tesla Model 3.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Katie's, 02/10/18

A late-ish arrival to Katie's this morning. A year from now, this might not make sense to most people.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Katie's, 02/17/18

Dammit! I got up early, and checked outside. It was 29F, no breeze, and dry. I jumped in the Elise, and drove towards Katie's, as I normally do every Saturday morning. 3 blocks from my house, I see that Fairfax County has, again, sprayed massive amounts of brine solution on the roads.... Grrr..... I was already out, so I continued on to meet friends for breakfast. Turnout was decent, and, at least it wasn't ridiculously cold! I had the only Lotus there, but saw some 'Lotus friends' - Michael D, who sold his Seven last year, drove a BMW he recently bought. Ivan (whose Europa is still in the shop) arrived in his Porsche.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Katie's, 02/24/18

Not a huge turnout, because it was foggy out - but, it was mid-forties this morning, even really early! Dan S. just bought a Ferrari 599, and brought it out for the first time... A huge number of Porsches there, as there always seems to be when there's iffy weather... Ed drove his X 1/9.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Katie's, 03/10/18

After being at Katie's early last week, but finding it closed because of the power outage, we (and a LOT of other people) decided today was the day for a drive to Katie's.

I had to leave early, to drive up to Pennsylvania for another Lotus club's winter meeting. We had our first look at the 840hp Dodge Challenger Demon.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Katie's, 03/17/18

A special day at Katies; first, it's St. Patrick's Day, and that really means something at a place called The Old Brogue. Second, the many regulars who missed last week because they were at the Amelia Island Concours in Florida returned, with great stories of cars and car people. Of course, there are ALWAYS great cars at Katie's.

My favorites this week - the beautiful Mercedes Gullwing replica, built on a newer MB chassis, with a modern AMG engine. Bob Morris' unbelievable, fresh-from-restoration Allard. As beautiful a new car as there is: the Aston Martin DB11. Another all-time favorite of mine: the Alfa Montreal.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Katie's, 03/24/18

The weather wasn't bad today - cold, but clear. However, this past week's snow meant we still had lots of salt on the roads, so it limited the attendees a bit. There were an abnormally large number of Aston Martins there, probably in support of the "007" charity event they were promoting. I drove my Elise; there was a blue Evora there, too.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Katie's, 03/31/18

Today was the last Saturday in March, it wasn't too cold, and FINALLY, the salt on the roads has been washed away! A good turnout of Lotus! (I did see Brian Guziak's car when I left, but hadn't gotten a picture of it...) Ivan showed up in an Esprit I hadn't seen before, but I never had a chance to talk to him.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Katie's, 04/07/18

We had been getting dire predictions of a big snow all week. That changed late this week to a snow/rain mix. The reality was, a very sparse, slight mist. While the turnout at Katie's was a bit light, we had some interesting stuff... I was the first car there!

--Bob Collum

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Katie's, 04/14/18

Without a doubt, this was the largest day ever at Katie's. Cars were parked all the way around the Great Falls Village shopping center. While I am glad Katie's remains popular, the fact that we had overflow cars parking across Walker Road on the Safeway parking lot, and also parked unsafely along the side of Georgetown Pike. This will generate a lot of complaints, if this is not just a blip in attendance for the first gorgeous-weather day of the year.

That MGB is a newly-manufactured car from a firm called British Motor Heritage in England. It runs Mazda MX-5 running gear.

--Bob Collum

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts