The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
?‍♂ Doah! here we go! Under 300 miles and a thick syrup puddle is common when I park my car for a few days. Not huge though. Could it be due to factory overfill maybe? I'll call the dealer. Not sure how this corona/covid-19 will impact getting it looked at. No burnt coolant smell. I can't see anything in the engine bay (it's hot in there) and a cursory glance under the car did not reveal any drips after driving.

Very pleased my car was parked for over a month and the car still started.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Because of the undertray these leaks are hard to diagnose- the location of the leak is likely to be distant from where the coolant is coming out. The most likely culprits are the various hoses connecting to the engine and radiator at either end of the pipes that run in the side sills so if you want to dig in that would be the best place to start. But if you're under warranty might as well have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left rear axel seal is the culprit 🤷‍♂️

I suppose it would help if I could tell the difference between coolant and oil weights.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So it was transmission oil? Did a dealer fix for you under warranty or offer any explanation? Sorry to hear having issues w/your car

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Transmission fluid. It was reddish (like coolant). Was very surprised the dealer said it was a leaking axle seal. Yes, it better be under warrantee! Now the part is not immediately available. I am well aware of the Lotus ethos/reputation and it's a weekend car so I am not too concerned. Yet. Under 300 miles and I haven't done anything stupid with the car. The seals are side L/R specific. Maybe they put the wrong one in. Toyota trans right? You wouldn't expect this problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FIXED! Dealer was very kind and showed me the dif on the lift. I can tell the cars going to be a bit of a stinker. It has a lot of fly wheel rattle and was making some funny gear box noises when apparently I had not fully got the thing in gear forward and reversing quickly. First gear acts like a dog box engagement. It really 'thunks' into gear when not moving similar to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
466 Posts
FIXED! Dealer was very kind and showed me the dif on the lift. I can tell the cars going to be a bit of a stinker. It has a lot of fly wheel rattle and was making some funny gear box noises when apparently I had not fully got the thing in gear forward and reversing quickly. First gear acts like a dog box engagement. It really 'thunks' into gear when not moving similar to a motorcycle.
You sure they put gearbox oil back in it? Jokes ;)

I cant speak from first hand experience with the 400 or GT gearbox rattle but from what ive read it is extremely common on those models. The gearbox is prone to it and its exaggerated by the clutch. It happens on the S1 models but to less of an extent. Seems like the lighter flywheel and heavier duty clutch on those models makes it worse.
I havnt heard of 'Thunking' into gear though. Very occasionally when going to 1st just before it stops it sometimes is a bit clunky.

I personally did a lighter flywheel and heavier clutch on my MY13 S and it rattled way more than before.
Good news is that after about 1500miles its seems to have almost gone away (or I subconsciously block it out)

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 400 gearbox has rattled like a tin can full of marbles since day one. Only happens in low gears up to around 2-2.5k RPM. I've tried to research the hell out of it...could be a bearing, could be the lightweight single mass flywheel, who knows. I'm at 5k miles now and it's neither gotten better nor worse so I just drive it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly like that zthang. I think it sounds cool like a race car pulling into the pits slowly :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts