The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've spent a lot of time these last few days going over old posts about what people use for wheels. It seems like there's no longer any good wheels readily available for sale new at <$2.5k prices. It also seems like what a lot of people do is use some types of Miata wheels and add a spacer so that the offset roughly matches what "designed for Elise" wheels would be?

If I wanted to run 17x8s in the rear, and 15x7s or 16x7s in the front, does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of wheels to buy, and which spacers to use?
My budget is somewhat flexible (maybe up to $3k or so), but I would prefer to keep things under $1.5k if possible.

Here's the pros / cons of the various wheels that I've looked at so far:

Team Dynamics 1.2s - In stock, and they look nice, but they are just as heavy as the stock wheels it looks like.

Team Dynamics 1.4s - >$2.5k in price and not very light compared to other forged wheel options.

949 Wheels (Lotus or Miata with spacers) - A good combination of all the things, but there have been some big issues with them cracking in the Miata world. And even if I wanted to get them, they are not in stock anywhere.

Ethos Wheels - They look perfect for my use case, but the rears are not in stock and they don't expect to get more in stock until next year.

Monolites - Pretty expensive, but if I were spending that kind of coin I would want to get black wheels, and they're also not going to be in stock until next year.

stellaCOURSE - I'm not in love with the glossiness or the flatness of the design for >$3k. And I don't know why you would get these over the monolites for the price point considering the weight difference.

LSS wheels - I would prefer not these for somewhat arbitrary personal reasons.

Volks - Seem to be a great combination of decently prices, low weight, forged, etc., but with the sizes + offsets I'm looking for, there are no matching color / design combinations.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I just ordered a set of Konig Dekagrams. Very light for the money (~$140/ea and 12lb for the 15"x7.5"), so I find it hard to justify spending an extra $2,000 on a set that won't be any lighter. Yes, they are from a miata site (good-win) but spacers are perfectly fine with me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! Lots of good options I hadn't heard of before. Well, I had seen the Seriously Lotus wheels, but I was getting major "Forged, but probably made in China" vibes. Especially since their website barely has a description about them, and the one photo they have looks like it was taken with a camera from 1993...

It's good to hear that people in the community have actually tried them and like them.

cyow5, do you remember which spacers you used? And what was your process for figuring out which ones to use?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Thanks everyone! Lots of good options I hadn't heard of before. Well, I had seen the Seriously Lotus wheels, but I was getting major "Forged, but probably made in China" vibes. Especially since their website barely has a description about them, and the one photo they have looks like it was taken with a camera from 1993...

It's good to hear that people in the community have actually tried them and like them.

cyow5, do you remember which spacers you used? And what was your process for figuring out which ones to use?
The process is easy - I have a handful of 5mm and will stack them on to figure out what's optimal, then I'll buy a set of the closest sizes. Since I have an exige-style front clam from GRP, I don't know how exactly that'll compare to stock anyways, so it is a bit of a crapshoot. I just ordered the wheels though, so it'll be a while before I get that all sorted. Shouldn't be bad though given the offsets being close to begin with.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Thanks everyone! Lots of good options I hadn't heard of before. Well, I had seen the Seriously Lotus wheels, but I was getting major "Forged, but probably made in China" vibes.
Then you should scratch Ethos wheels off your list. Those are Rotas, which are crap, IMO. I've owned a few Rota's over the years and have had them crack on me during normal road use, SPECIFICALLY the Ethos design Rotas. Early versions were all recalled for cracking.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,403 Posts
I just ordered a set of Konig Dekagrams. Very light for the money (~$140/ea and 12lb for the 15"x7.5"), so I find it hard to justify spending an extra $2,000 on a set that won't be any lighter. Yes, they are from a miata site (good-win) but spacers are perfectly fine with me.
I’m running Konigs as well, the Dial In in 15” all around. Cheap and light. Not sure what wheels they have in 15/17 or 16/17 setups and you would have to check their site.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
The only wheels I have that aren't forged are my truck wheels, carbon S1000RR wheels, and magnesium R1M wheels. I agree with mattjk, Rotas are crap. stellaCOURSE are unattractive and the Monolites trump them in every aspect. Light, cheap, strong. Pick any two.

San

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm ok with picking light and strong, and not cheap, but I want black wheels :). Unfortunately the Monolites aren't available in black until "some time next year".

I will definitely pass on the Rotas and the Ethoses based on what people are saying here.

Any experience with the Seriously Lotus Ultralight forged wheels? I'm having a hard time finding reviews about them outside of this thread, and Seriously Lotus doesn't really give out much information about them.

·
Registered
751 Posts

I do like the Stellacorse. But yea, it's not very everyone. I also have a set of monolites now. Prefer the Stellacorse for style and the monolites for weight.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
I'm ok with picking light and strong, and not cheap, but I want black wheels :). Unfortunately the Monolites aren't available in black until "some time next year".

I will definitely pass on the Rotas and the Ethoses based on what people are saying here.

Any experience with the Seriously Lotus Ultralight forged wheels? I'm having a hard time finding reviews about them outside of this thread, and Seriously Lotus doesn't really give out much information about them.
The Team Dynamics 1.2 wheels are cast. The 1.4 wheels are forged. Good wheels, and will clear the 4-wheel AP Racing BBK, but not very light. I had a set before I bought the Monolites (black).

The Monolites probably aren't available as usually @shinoo waits until he has a container worth of orders to keep shipping costs down. Feel free to correct me if I got that wrong Shinoo.

Slightly heavier than the Monolites are the Toybox wheels Gauging interest - GROUP BUY - ToyBox 48 Wheels Volks are an option but the spoke count on the front/rear isn't the same and can bother some that are borderline insane about such things.

San

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<SNIP>

Slightly heavier than the Monolites are the Toybox wheels Gauging interest - GROUP BUY - ToyBox 48 Wheels Volks are an option but the spoke count on the front/rear isn't the same and can bother some that are borderline insane about such things.
Which sizes / colors do people go with with the Volks? I was looking at Vivid Racing's options and it didn't look like there was much to choose from with the 15x7s or 16x7s + 17x8s. I didn't care so much about number of spokes, but none of the colors available matched between the fronts vs. the rears that I saw.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The Seriously Lotus forged wheels are most likely Team Dynamics. As far as I know, TD made all the early Lotus wheels, even the Holy Grail S240 Cup Wheels. I know, because I have owned two sets and picked up the Last new set from TD in California.

12.JPG
13.JPG

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Which sizes / colors do people go with with the Volks? I was looking at Vivid Racing's options and it didn't look like there was much to choose from with the 15x7s or 16x7s + 17x8s. I didn't care so much about number of spokes, but none of the colors available matched between the fronts vs. the rears that I saw.
Depends if you want Flat or Concave face. If you want Concave, your only choice is to go 16x8 Rear and 16x7 Front, or 15x7 Front.

This is what I currently have, 16x8 and 16x7

14.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like the Volks. I just wish there were better 17" options? I was hoping for 15" or 16" up front, and then 17" in the rear, if possible.

Maybe I'm just too picky :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Konig Hypergrams. Both light and cheap. I'm using 12mm spacers in the front and 14mm in the rear, and hub-centric adapters.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts