The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the clutch in a friends 2020 Evora GT last weekend, I'll have it finished up this weekend wondering if anyone has any info for me on fluids for the car. I need to refill the differential, power steering and bleed the clutch, if anyone has a manual for the Evora GT and can check what the specifications are I'd appreciate it.

I need
  • Gear oil weight and amount
  • Power steering fluid specification
  • Clutch fluid specification and if anyone knows where the reservoir is that will save me a few minutes of searching.

To anyone in need of a clutch in a Evora it is not a bad job, I believe I read lotus charged something like 8500-$9000 for a clutch change, I have around 12-13 hours into it and the clutch is in and engine and trans are sitting back in the car just need to hook everything up and top off fluids, all in I'm figuring ill have 16-18 hours into the clutch change.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
48 Posts
Use a motive euro style pressure bleeder to bleed the clutch and brakes. Works flawlessly, if you bleed by hand its gonna end up having air in the system, even if you use a vaccum bleeder. The motive bleeder is 80 dollars and well worth it.

I reccomend castrol SRF for the clutch and brake system, especially if the cars being beat on. youll need about 1.5 liters to do a full clutch and brake flush.

Use redline MTL 75w80 for the trans/diff.

on the GT cars theres a drain plug and then the fill plug is the cooler return line on top of the trans towards the rear of the car. has a 8m or 10mm bolt holding the tube inplace on the trans!

·
Registered
623 Posts
So uh....is this the only way to replace the clutch? You've got to pull the engine? I knew it required clamshell removal, but engine too?
Some have claimed being able to tilt the engine while still in the car and do the job but yeah that is why the clamshell needs to be removed so the engine can come out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
@andrew_s Clutch fluid circuit is shared with brakes. Reservoir is in the front. The spec is DOT4, most of us just use a good racing fluid (rbf400, castrol srf, ATE, etc).

EDIT: one more thing. check the rear engine mount rubber while you are there. With hard clutch drops, it's probably damaged.

donour

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
ITS CALLED ABUSE.......

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
428 Posts
Oof. Guess that's the fun of mid and rear engine cars.
Its not an issue with all mid/rear engine cars but a particular issue with the Evora because the car has a transverse engine and you can't drop the gear box and clutch housing from the bottom with the engine in the car (ie the standard way to do a clutch change in a transverse engine FWD car). This is one thing that is a lot easier to do on for example a Cayman (or a Lotus Europa) than on our cars because of the longitudinal engine/transaxle configuration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts