The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on which clutch is best to pair with a Fidanza? I hear most people go with an HDSS, but I've have heard those have had failures in the past?

For what it's worth, I will be keeping the car naturally aspirated, maybe a maximum of 205hp with a tune + some basic bolt-ons. Reliability + low weight of the clutch are the biggest priorities for me. Is maybe stock the best way to go?

Thanks in advance!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
That was a bad batch, IIRC. At your power levels, I'd stick with stock or get the TRD clutch.

Reactions: lllest

·
Administrator
1,435 Posts
I would keep stock clutch unless it's shot as well as stock flywheel. When you clutch goes then change them both out. I have no complaints with my ACT HDSS.

·
Vendor
3,267 Posts
Early ACT clutches had 2 straps to hold the pressure plate to the friction surface. The revised version has stronger straps and there are 3 of them. I am not aware of failures since that re-design probably 8-10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I still broke lots of springs on the HDSS!

My experience and VSA as well is to use the exedy stage 1 clutch, very light, very smooth engagement, and lots of grip for that power.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. The Exedy setup sounds awfully tempting for the power levels I'm targeting. I know Exedy supplies a lot of Japanese OEMs with their "OEM" clutches + flywheels, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "Exedy Stage 1" was actually the "TRD clutch". I believe Exedy is the supplier of choice for Toyota and Subaru, at least. For the few manual transmission cars that they're still making.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts