The Lotus Cars Community banner

621 - 640 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Matt Becker is a god as was his father. I knew he'd do magic at Aston.

·
Illegal Alien
4,659 Posts
How big a difference in sound does it make? 9-12K is fairly ridiculous for 22lbs.
Same internals so would believe sound levels are the same, however as Titanium has a different modulus of elasticity and of course is thinner as it doesn't corrode so the harmonic vibrations of the can are different, making the exhaust tones sound beautiful. Even Ferrari and Lamborghini owners take note and comment, that's worth the 8K that I paid as a factory installed option.

·
Less is Better
2,414 Posts
I'm sure Matt Becker and his team
I have no idea what you mean. Both cars drive well, steer well, etc, but the Vantage is really fast. Really.

EDIT: Do you know who Matt Becker is? Left after decades at Lotus to become chief engineer at AM. Almost everyone says he's done a terrific job with the Vantage.
Considering the new Vantage's nearly 2 ton wet weight, I'm sure Matt Becker has done a good job of balancing ride and handing but it's precisely that 700-800 pound weight difference due to amenities, size and the car's focus as well as the big price difference that will ensure that the two cars will never be true competitors.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I can't argue about that, but the cars may compete in the minds of some prospects. Weight difference is a not insubstantial 576 lbs. New stick shift version is around only 300 lbs heavier.

But, I think you would agree that the AM beauty is quite substantial. I already have a sports car (Elise) and want a sporty GT car, which is exactly how the Vantage is often described.

·
Less is Better
2,414 Posts
I can't argue about that, but the cars may compete in the minds of some prospects. Weight difference is a not insubstantial 576 lbs. New stick shift version is around only 300 lbs heavier.

But, I think you would agree that the AM beauty is quite substantial. I already have a sports car (Elise) and want a sporty GT car, which is exactly how the Vantage is often described.
The Vantage is over 3800 pounds when measured wet. Far heavier than Aston quotes (which is dry). So it's more like a 700 pound difference.

I wish I could agree that the new Vantage is beautiful, I really do, as the previous cars are some of the best looking cars to ever be produced, but I just don't like it. It's like the people who designed the Civic Type R got the job to style the Vantage. Way too many broken surfaces and unnecessary clutter. Plus, it used to be that the Vantage was small but looked big, now it's just big. The Vantage's main problem (and the Evora's for that matter) is that the Porsche 911 exists in so many applicable versions and is a great car in a very small market.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I used C&D weights; thought that they'd weighed it. (3726 lbs)

I don't want a Porsche or any rear-engined car (from a service point of view). And here we are awash in 911s. They are nice looking but not comparable to the new Vantage,

·
** Acme Super Moderator ** ** The Enforcer **
6,780 Posts
I think this thread has been hijacked enough. Please start a new thread about the Aston Martin Vantage if you want to continue your discussion. Thanks.

San

·
Registered
24 Posts
A comment thats come up in a few of the reviews i've seen/read. "Nobody buys these new anymore". Is this a reference to the reviewer thinking Lotus has priced themselves out? Excellent leases? Or people only buying because of the fairly steady used market prices?

·
Registered
513 Posts
A comment thats come up in a few of the reviews i've seen/read. "Nobody buys these new anymore". Is this a reference to the reviewer thinking Lotus has priced themselves out? Excellent leases? Or people only buying because of the fairly steady used market prices?
The people reviewing these cars know significantly less about them than the collective wisdom of this message board. I have no idea what that comment is supposed to mean. The unit sales are so low, that could be a legitimate comment . . . but relative to what? Used sales? At any given time, there are a few dozen cars available for sale. It’s just a meaningless observation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the 20' has a lithium battery. Does it? I read in previous posts Lotus batteries have a reputation for going dead in a few days. Why don't ppl keep them on chargers if this is a known issues?

·
** Acme Super Moderator ** ** The Enforcer **
6,780 Posts
Not a fan of green in general, but that one is less obnoxious than others. I like the yellow calipers. They stand out, but also go well with the body color IMHO.

San

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Like the green but the black pack just doesn't work with it IMHO. Too many black packs out there IMHO. Guess I just hate black (the absence of color).

621 - 640 of 667 Posts