The Lotus Cars Community banner

701 - 720 of 751 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
Komotec's tunes have been well received both by users on this forum and in Europe. It would be nice to have BOE participating as well (and I assume they will be at some point) but the Komotec tunes represent very viable options, especially the "430" tune which by all accounts is reasonably priced, easy to install and without any noticeable down sides.

I'll be doing one later this year and probably going with the GRP CAI as well, I have already pulled the third cat and the noise alone makes the car feel 10MPH faster. Maybe 20!
See, I wasn't sure from what I've heard/read if Komo-Tec even offered tunes for the US Evoras. Do you know if you have to send them your ECU and how much something like that would cost? I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. It's not something I'd be looking to do right away, but it's on my radar. I can't wait for the break-in period to be over already so I can get that decat on. My Nismo is loud - probably too loud, even though it still has mufflers and resonators. The 400 I drove back in May was whisper quiet by comparison. The sport exhaust button almost made no difference in volume to me at all 😂 Admittedly though I as I age, I really am looking forward to something a little quieter - especially the drone I get at highway speeds. I'm hoping the Evora with the decat will be the perfect volume/sound for me, and from all the videos I've watched it seems like it will be 100% perfect.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
Your biggest revelation will be the at the limit handling confidence the Evora gives you. unfortunately, 350/370 etc had a bad history (I have witnessed it 3 times) of snap spinning at the limit. Inside wall at LRP after a simple 1-2 wheel drop. Instructors said minimal correction occurred, car just went nuts. 2/3 totalled. No forgive at all and a spontaneous event Yikes!!!

Please drive it stock for now. Lotus needs little upgrading as it is already world class. What you lack in ultimate HP you more than make up for in braking and ability to put power down on corner exit. Those have ALWAYS been the 2 biggest compliments folks give the car. There isn't a ton of power left to wring out of one of the these motors anyway.
I think another big revelation will not only be handling but the overall grip this car will have as well. I'm making 325whp right now, and on 305mm Super Sports I can barely hook up from a launch - it's downright frustrating always waiting for the tires to catch up with the car. And when temperatures are below 50°F you might as well forget about taking off quickly at all. And the rear is always begging to step out at a moment's notice. The Z is a great budget rear drive sports car with more than adequate power for its entry price. But you can tell where Nissan allocated its budget, and it wasn't towards the rear suspension. With its simple on/off traction control and lack of any weight over the rear, it was never meant to be a drag car or a grippy handler at the limit. I'm hoping this mid-engine Lotus will be better balanced in the corners and at the lights.

Still, I feel like there is a decent amount of untapped power available from the 2GR V6. If Nissan can get 350hp from a slightly larger naturally aspirated V6, I see no reason why a supercharged, chargecooled V6 can't handle way more than 416hp. Supercharged VQ37s will put down 500hp easily with only 8lbs of boost. Even Komo-tec has a 475hp kit available. From what I've researched, the transmissions are weaker than the motors in the Evoras.

Either way, there are numerous cars that are quicker than the Evora for the price I paid - I know that's not the point of these cars. Straight line speed was somewhat low on my list of priorities for a new sports car. But, in truth, when I drove that 400 last summer it didn't feel substantially quicker than my Nismo at all. I'd say another 50-75hp or so would make this car absolutely perfect from a performance standpoint, and I feel like the motor would be able to handle that with ease.

·
Registered
‘20 Evora GT ‘19 Porsche GT3RS ‘18 Alfa Romeo StelQV ’17 Aston Martin V12VS dogleg ‘10 Ferrari 458
23 Posts
How much increased torque (from spinning the SC faster via smaller pulleys and a tune) can the manual tranny handle? Also have people seen heat soak on track with the Komotec package in the 400?

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
How much increased torque (from spinning the SC faster via smaller pulleys and a tune) can the manual tranny handle? Also have people seen heat soak on track with the Komotec package in the 400?
The manual transmission is definitely the weakest link from what I've researched. That's part of the reason the auto GTs get more torque than the manuals from the factory I'm pretty sure. Idk what the limit is, and I'm unsure if anyone has truly put it to the test. But I haven't read or heard of any heat-soaking issues with the chargecooled 400+ Evoras stock or tuned.

Awesome bespoke color btw! That Viola Purple is truly stunning - I bet it draws a crowd everywhere you park!

·
Registered
‘20 Evora GT ‘19 Porsche GT3RS ‘18 Alfa Romeo StelQV ’17 Aston Martin V12VS dogleg ‘10 Ferrari 458
23 Posts
The manual transmission is definitely the weakest link from what I've researched. That's part of the reason the auto GTs get more torque than the manuals from the factory I'm pretty sure. Idk what the limit is, and I'm unsure if anyone has truly put it to the test. But I haven't read or heard of any heat-soaking issues with the chargecooled 400+ Evoras stock or tuned.

Awesome bespoke color btw! That Viola Purple is truly stunning - I bet it draws a crowd everywhere you park!
yes definitely getting tons of compliments on the color! Adding to my skittles collection....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought I read heatsoak is more common with the glass back window. The CF hatch i thought I read let’s the heat escape better?

also BOE offers a updated undertray

i do agree, seems like no reason more power can‘t be developed from a engine reliability standpoint. I also wonder how the TVS1900 supercharger works on these engines.

with the power other cars are producing and with the quality of the evora chassis.... it would be nice if the evora’s could be tuned closer to 500HP.

·
Hickory, NC
959 Posts
I thought I read heatsoak is more common with the glass back window. The CF hatch i thought I read let’s the heat escape better?

i do agree, seems like no reason more power can‘t be developed from a engine reliability standpoint. I also wonder how the TVS1900 supercharger works on these engines.

with the power other cars are producing and with the quality of the evora chassis.... it would be nice if the evora’s could be tuned closer to 500HP.
700-900HP would be better for sales.
I’m surprised they haven’t found a reliable power plant that works. I’m just not happy spending 100k on 400 horses.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I would imagine that this gets you to 500+

·
Registered
79 Posts
For $98k you can get 416 HP .... lol

Totally agree though, 400hp and $100k is tough when you look at other cars for similar/less money With more HP.

Yea, we all know lotus isn’t about big HP numbers, however when sport sedans a SUV’s can have 500-650+Hp, no reason a lotus can’t be in that range. I bet it’s like with the old Esprit, the engine is capable of a lot more, power is limited due to a trans that can’t take a serious bump in power.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Totally agree though, 400hp and $100k is tough when you look at other cars for similar/less money With more HP.

Yea, we all know lotus isn’t about big HP numbers, however when sport sedans a SUV’s can have 500-650+Hp, no reason a lotus can’t be in that range. I bet it’s like with the old Esprit, the engine is capable of a lot more, power is limited due to a trans that can’t take a serious bump in power.
NC25T, have you bought a lotus? I know you were considering one last year, wondering if you joined the fraternity yet or still on the fence.

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts

Not heard of heat soak issues in any Series 4xx model, now the Series 1 S's yes, after a few minutes of full throttle.

The BOE undergrad is for the Series 1 cars, following similar to factory setup of the 4xx models.

2GR can give you 500 Hp if you want it, you may be better off settling for forged internals or going for a bit less.

Lotus capped 430's at 430 Hp to give them a warrantable headroom on transmission life. Remember, factory cars go out into the wilds, average joe may give it bad gas, drop the clutch on every redlined start. So failures, manufacture will be able to point figure back at careless owner, but if even 10% of these failures get through Lotus is on the hook, so what do they do, take another 5-10% off for the pocket. A careful drive may be able to used a 475 Hp engine day in day out, even with track running. You must self access yourself and set your own risk level.

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts

My SUV weights over twice my 'heavy' Lotus, yes it needs more torque (the Land Cruiser, that is). My Lotus has enough power to go 200 mph, i don't think I need any more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
NC25T, have you bought a lotus? I know you were considering one last year, wondering if you joined the fraternity yet or still on the fence.
not yet, went to Gator Motorsports 2 weeks ago and drove their auto GT. Also stopped my St Louis Motorcars to look at their inventory, they sold the one I wasted to look at two days before I arrived... I wasn’t aware it was sold....oops. I hope to order a GT this spring/summer, I had some unexpected work expenses arise which has caused my plans to be put on hold for a few months.

My SUV weights over twice my 'heavy' Lotus, yes it needs more torque. My Lotus has enough power to go 200 mph, i don't think I need any more.
my suv weighs close to 5,000 lbs and has 280 HP, not sure it can hit 100 mph or that I would want to go 100 mph in it. My hearse is faster... lol

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
There are Evora Bros here with varying degrees of Komotec tune and nobody has suggested issues related to heat soak. I 'm personally more interested in a good tune than swapping pulleys. As previously mentioned, Lotus already delivers a 430HP calibration with a warranty and some extra twist so a base Komotec tune or equal should be a thoroughly rational upgrade. Turbochargers have ruined us and altered our perceptions of what feels explosive and what is expected in the midrange.

I've noticed (as have others) that acceleration in 1st feels feels matched by 2nd gear's rate of change. Even 3rd gear doesn't seem to noticeably let up as respects rate of change. I would expect it to slow noticeably by third but it doesn't. This leads me to speculate that torque may be restricted in the lower gears. I don't have the numbers or any science to back up what is just my hunch but from the seat of the pants it feels reasonable to speculate because it accelerates in such linear fashion through all the lower cogs.

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts
There are Evora Bros here with varying degrees of Komotec tune and nobody has suggested issues related to heat soak. I 'm personally more interested in a good tune than swapping pulleys. As previously mentioned, Lotus already delivers a 430HP calibration with a warranty and some extra twist so a base Komotec tune or equal should be a thoroughly rational upgrade. Turbochargers have ruined us and altered our perceptions of what feels explosive and what is expected in the midrange.

I've noticed (as have others) that acceleration in 1st feels feels matched by 2nd gear's rate of change. Even 3rd gear doesn't seem to noticeably let up as respects rate of change. I would expect it to slow noticeably by third but it doesn't. This leads me to speculate that torque may be restricted in the lower gears. I don't have the numbers or any science to back up what is just my hunch but from the seat of the pants it feels reasonable to speculate because it accelerates in such linear fashion through all the lower cogs.
The engine does use Torque control, now whether different limits across the gear charts ?? Maybe Phil- BOE can speak up, he seems to be the only one that has hacked into the full ECU code and tables.

·
Loves to talk
893 Posts
See, I wasn't sure from what I've heard/read if Komo-Tec even offered tunes for the US Evoras. Do you know if you have to send them your ECU and how much something like that would cost? I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. It's not something I'd be looking to do right away, but it's on my radar. I can't wait for the break-in period to be over already so I can get that decat on. My Nismo is loud - probably too loud, even though it still has mufflers and resonators. The 400 I drove back in May was whisper quiet by comparison. The sport exhaust button almost made no difference in volume to me at all 😂 Admittedly though I as I age, I really am looking forward to something a little quieter - especially the drone I get at highway speeds. I'm hoping the Evora with the decat will be the perfect volume/sound for me, and from all the videos I've watched it seems like it will be 100% perfect.
I believe you can get the Komotec products through Inokinetic although their website shows GRP as a sales partner. Color me confused.

If I recall, (strictly from memory) you can do the basic 430 flash with a PC. I don't believe they have OS compatibility which means I'd probably have it flashed by a pro to avoid having to beg, borrow or buy a PC that I don't need. Somebody who knows what they are talking about will correct me if I got any of this wrong :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The engine does use Torque control, now whether different limits across the gear charts ?? Maybe Phil- BOE can speak up, he seems to be the only one that has hacked into the full ECU code and tables.
You are so predictable with your unnecessary BOE plugs. Chill.

There are plenty of Komotec dynos showing wheel torque far in excess of factory rated crank torque. In fact, here's one attached - red and blue lines are one version of komotec tune and green is a different version. Extrapolate that to crank torque (10% drivetrain loss), and you are at almost 390 ft-lbs at the crank in a manual tranny 400.

Longevity is an entirely different issue but the only point I am making here is that the motor can make a LOT more than the advertised torque even in a manual tranny. And you want to ask folks with dyno charts, not Julian or BOE. Haven't seen a single fact or documentation from Julian/BOE on Evora 400s yet. Just a lot of pie in the sky conjecture.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can you post a komo-tec Dyno chart that has a stock pull from the same day for comparison? Dyno charts are really only useful with a baseline for comparison. You can make it read pretty much anything you want.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can you post a komo-tec Dyno chart that has a stock pull from the same day for comparison? Dyno charts are really only useful with a baseline for comparison. You can make it read pretty much anything you want.
Sure. This car was making 320 ft-lbs at the wheels stock. One version of the Komotec tune netted increase of 42-43 whp and 23-24 wheel torque.

Julian, can you share any BOE dynos? We have asked you a zillion times.

701 - 720 of 751 Posts