The Lotus Cars Community banner

721 - 740 of 761 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Can you post a komo-tec Dyno chart that has a stock pull from the same day for comparison? Dyno charts are really only useful with a baseline for comparison. You can make it read pretty much anything you want.
Here is a dyno comparing stock to 435 komo-tec tune

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you for the dynos. That helps show the whole picture. I think the only Dyno BOE has is the one they posted on FB. Seems to show less peak hp but more mid-range torque. But they haven't posted anything final on their site.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
I never questioned the validity of Komo-tec. My question was are these kits available to us in the US, and if so how does one go about ordering/installing etc. In my research I've found that our US Evoras might have a slightly different ECU, and Komo-tec only deals with Euro-only cars. Their prices are all in euros and they're based out of Germany. By contrast BOE is in Kansas City - that's a 6 hour drive from where I live. And from what I know, they are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) aftermarket for Lotus in the US.

I don't really care who does the work; I just want it done right. My best guess would be if I went with Komo-tec, I'd need to find a way to send them my ECU and have my car down while I wait to get it back....from freaking Europe... yeah no thanks. I'd much rather wait for a US tuner to figure it out. But it's going on 4 years now since the 400s landed stateside... so I do wonder what's taking so long.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
I never questioned the validity of Komo-tec. My question was are these kits available to us in the US, and if so how does one go about ordering/installing etc.
My local Lotus dealer is a reseller for Komo-tec and does the work.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
My local Lotus dealer is a reseller for Komo-tec and does the work.
Nice! Which dealer is that? I wonder if Gator would know more about it? I'll ask them when I go to pick up my car tomorrow. I didn't know dealers did anything with Komo-tec in the states.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
We need more GT pics in here to drool over. My GT dream is dissolving as my company stock to fund it has gone from $440 to $155 in a year ;-(

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I never questioned the validity of Komo-tec. My question was are these kits available to us in the US, and if so how does one go about ordering/installing etc. In my research I've found that our US Evoras might have a slightly different ECU, and Komo-tec only deals with Euro-only cars.
I'm here in the US and was very easy dealing with Komo-Tec, they are very responsive to emails . A couple days after ordering the 435 tune I received the cable and then a very simple process. Hooked it up to car and laptop and screenshot my ECU info and emailed that back to Komo-Tec and two days later they sent me back 3 files, one for 93, one for 91 and stock. Plugged back into car and downloaded it. I'm not very computer savvy but this was very easy to do. Have put about 5k miles on car since doing and car runs great and zero issues and never had any CEL. My friend Bruce who is on here did the 460 package and over 10k miles on with no problems

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dyno soon on my Komo 460. I got it out from its winter sleep, I'll hit Scott up for here he did his so I can be on the same dyno.
Looking forward to this, probably be the final piece of information to pull the plug on which power option I'm going to go with :)

·
Supporting Vendor
393 Posts

·
Loves to talk
896 Posts
Blue is pretty. That one looks like an affordable spec if somebody wants an auto box. I would be happy with a basic. Everything I need but I'd consider the CF if it was part of a righteously discounted package...or the Ti as well for that matter.

Let's say you have the option to choose between CF and Ti exhaust. I think I'm CF. I could always add the exhaust later. Or not. Ya'll?

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
Blue is pretty. That one looks like an affordable spec if somebody wants an auto box. I would be happy with a basic. Everything I need but I'd consider the CF if it was part of a righteously discounted package...or the Ti as well for that matter.

Let's say you have the option to choose between CF and Ti exhaust. I think I'm CF. I could always add the exhaust later. Or not. Ya'll?
GRP is developing an aftermarket Ti exhaust of their own anyway which will probably be way cheaper than the $8k Lotus asks. I would definitely say CF over Ti any day.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Almost anything is better than the ugly trapezoid exhaust. Really wish Lotus would have dropped that from the Evora.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Almost anything is better than the ugly trapezoid exhaust. Really wish Lotus would have dropped that from the Evora.
What shape would you rather have?

I think the GT's exhaust has a great shape and haven't been able to really find something similar except for this custom tip.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I’ve heard this opinion a few times. I wholeheartedly disagree—it’s unique and looks fantastic to me. Far better than replacing it with a double round tip. Sure, it’s lost some of its design significance with the interior redesign (with the S1s there was a trapezoidal theme repeated inside as well). But it’s still the best looking exhaust tip for the Evora. Reasonable minds can differ . . . nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I’ve heard this opinion a few times. I wholeheartedly disagree—it’s unique and looks fantastic to me. Far better than replacing it with a double round tip. Sure, it’s lost some of its design significance with the interior redesign (with the S1s there was a trapezoidal theme repeated inside as well). But it’s still the best looking exhaust tip for the Evora. Reasonable minds can differ . . . nothing wrong with that.
To each his own of course. 🙂

My biggest problem with it is that it sticks out like a sore thumb and I almost think it looks misaligned on most cars, but I think this is an optical illusion or something due to its shape. It doesn't flow with the design IMO. I don't even think it fits well in the cut out area it comes out of. It may not be as bad if it fit a bit tighter into its space and was black or something. I just think its one of the ugliest parts of the car. Just a big fat chrome piece on cars that have no other chrome. Just looks bad IMO.

Honestly I think dual pipes looks better than the trapezoid even if that is cliche.

I will say though, on the 400s it sounds amazing. Maybe that has something to do with the shape?

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT
11 Posts
Update: Last Friday (03/13) I went to go pick up my GT from Gator. I met with the entire team and spent the day there. It was everything I expected and more. When it comes to new car ownership, the purchasing experience is maybe only less than half of the car buying experience. Everything that comes after the purchase - servicing/regular maintenance, warranty work etc. are all part of the experience as well. And this is where I believe Gator truly shines in a way that few other dealerships can. Because Lotus is their main brand, they have a focus that I feel is missing at some of the other dealerships.

I told them the story of how I walked into STL Motorcars with my dad in 2014 inquiring about a then-new Alfa Romeo 4C. At the time, no one knew where Alfa was going to sell its cars and not a whole lot was known about the 4C yet either. No one at that dealership gave me or my dad the time of day. And it's not like we pulled up in a hooptie - we drove up in a brand new Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe. I told myself then that that dealership would never receive any of my business. STL Motorcars is actually closer than Gator to where I live. Who could have predicted that a kid coming in with his dad to ask about a $55k Alfa Romeo would cost them a sale 6 years later on a car worth over double? But that's why you don't mistreat anyone no matter who they are (or who you think they are).

Of course, once the specs were released on the 4C and it turned out to be a puny, low-revving 4 cylinder with no manual option I ended up with my Nismo 370Z. On the servicing side, I had to stop going to my local Nissan dealer for oil changes - their "technicians" never seemed to be able to properly re-install my undershroud that need removing to drain the oil. After the third time it happened I drove over to the service department, blew my stack and told them to fix it (AGAIN), left them all 0s on the review that Nissan emails out to me every time I get work done there, and I never ever went back. What can you really expect though when the same kids, I mean techs, being paid to service a Versa are also working on $50k Nismo Zs and $100k+ GT-Rs?

By contrast every person I met at Gator was a true enthusiast. The owner, who owns multiple Lotuses, let me check out his personal 25th anniversary Esprit and Elise track car. There's a comforting, confident feeling that comes from buying a car from a dealership made of car enthusiasts and not just salesmen and businessmen. There are a handful of Lotus dealers all within around a 3 hour drive from where I live, but I'm so happy I purchased from Gator. My GT is currently getting extra PPF at one of the best detail shops in Illinois. Here are a few pics from the beginning process!

721 - 740 of 761 Posts