The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2020 Lotus Evora GT

159K views 885 replies 115 participants last post by  jalquiza 
#1 ·
#5 ·
You could buy one of these GT and put the Hethelsport bumper on it, but it’s just not the same. I mean, the Hethelsport bumper is really close and looks good when you add the splitter with winglets, but this car would have been epic if it got that GT430 bumper as stock.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, on my S1, if I ever muck up the front bumper, I’m replacing it with a Hethelsport.

#4 ·
I think a lot of us are kinda bummed the 430 front end didn’t make it stateside. I personally still think the 400/GT front end looks a LOT better vs the original evora/S front end.... and with all these cars people can always order a 430 front end and have it installed.

I am more bummed it didn’t come with the 430 rear spoiler... which again can be added at a later date.

#6 ·
Fine by me. Will just wait for the 430 look to arrive and my game plan is 3 more years so.....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last thing I want to waste money on is buying the front end Tx that should be stock at this point based on all the positive press. I suspect this is a 1 year carryover. But a few years down the road, for the right price, its more about a new vehicle and its performance, not looks. Still like the S1 interior MUCH better, but that's just me.

#7 · (Edited)
10 Negatives to me, in order of importance

#1-5 - no variable setting traction control as per the manual shift GT430's, i.e. 1%, 3%, 6%, 9%, 12% slip and off

#6 - loss of front splitter and rear wing because the 430 cf front bumper doesn't meet the low speed impact Federal Bumper Standards

#7 - elimination of lwt cf panel in place of glass quarter panel, (US Sport 410 got the cf panel)

#8 - loss of the fine mesh over radiator extraction ducts in hood (US Sport 410 got the fine mesh), rather than large egg crate plastic

#9 - elimination of plexiglass or single glass firewall panel (its a given in US to not get the plexiglass due to fire hazard, but why not the single pane glass (US Sport 410 also didn't get the double pane glass removed)

#10 - elimination of lightweight armless door cards, (again we didn't get the lwt cards on etc 410 either, but that car was understandable .. it was not subjected to costly crash testing just because of that change, while Lotus did crash test the GT to get the seat approvals and hoped for the GT430 bumpers too, so the door cards could have been fitted (unless the US required foam block inside the door did not fit))

#9 · (Edited)
#10 · (Edited)
The lack of the 430 look has been widely lambasted. No way could anyone anywhere design anything any cheaper looking than the eggcrate stuff in the front. Laughable if I did not like the package overall. It really looks like something homemade by people with very limited resources.

As said above, this is hopefully an intermediate ugly duckling stage and a genuine good looking car is on the way.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car

I understand effort was made to get us the whole car but where is all this new money going? Maybe there was not enough time, and they did the best they could, as of yet.

#11 ·
The lack of the 430 look has been widely lambasted. No way could anyone anywhere design anything any cheaper looking than the eggcrate stuff in the front. Laughable if I did not like the package overall. It really looks like something homemade by people with very limited resources.

As said above, this is hopefully an intermediate ugly duckling stage and a genuine good looking car is on the way.
Are you the kind of guy who comments on the one hint of cellulite on a supermodel when she sits the wrong way?

#16 ·
How did you get the dent?

#18 ·
No idea. Probably somebody washing the car leaned on it.

#19 ·
BJBJ and I agree on this. The 400 takes it on the nose...or on the chin, as it were.....here among us Lotus fanboys but nowhere else is it treated with such distain. Everywhere else, people faun over the car and ask if they can use it in their video shoot next week. But not here. Everybody is Robert Cumberford here. In their heads!

I like the look of the mesh myself but..... Other things may bother me but not the way the car presents overall. Ugly is fightin' words!

Aside: Ever since I bought this thing I've been dreaming about cars with bare aluminum interiors. Is this normal?

#20 ·
OK guys, I’m going to back off on my long running criticism of the appearance and quality of the current batch of Lotus’ offerings. I really don’t like putting them down because it might undermine the dealers who are trying to make a living selling these. My comments were hoping to see a different offering now. Some others agreed, some did not.

No doubt these Evora are amongst the very best driver’s cars ever available in this country, at any price. No doubt they command admiration even awe from the public. Overall, as beautiful and exciting as the most high dollar supercars to the man on the street.

I can’t see putting a new one in our garage for now, but am optimistic the future will bring something we can. In the meantime, we just this week got the track Elise to the point we can reregister her for street duty, and are watching the mailbox for the new floormats.

#22 ·
I am happy to see this version - would be happier with the full GT430 Sport. I'm relieved that the rear fascia was changed as the 400 rear was not to my taste. The GT is going to keep the Lotus Flag in the air while the new cars make their appearance. :up::up::up:

#23 ·
Overall the car looks quite nice. The rear has much better lines than the 400. I wonder if they will offer some different options though. For example, can they paint the full back. I don't like the bandit mask look and I don't need to show off my carbon fiber. Also, I would prefer a glass back over the engine. Finally, only 5 colors to choose from with no yellow option? At least the orange looks like a nice bright color option.

Overall though this is very nice upgrade to a car that has been getting a lot of attention from car reviewers. I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.

#25 ·
Price list has 28 colors + bespoke. They still have Essex Orange at level B pricing and Burnt Orange at Level C. They do no list bespoke painting of carbon roof surfaces; maybe it can be ordered at bespoke pricing. I rear glass is highly unlikely as it is a big part of weight reduction, however if one does not order the carbon pack, I don't know what they give you for a back hatch.

#24 · (Edited)
I do find it funny that the only place I am told my car is ugly is the Lotus forum. While I do like the GT430 front more, in reality you could drive a red S1, 400 and GT430 back to back to back to work and its likely no one would know that they are different cars. When I got my 400 most people (even car people) asked me if I got my S painted.

Also, hate to break it to people, but this is the end of the line for the Evora most likely. Its a complete waste of money to crash test Evoras just for the GT430 front end or whatever they would need to do. While Lotus may have an influx of money. I guarantee almost none of it was for the current line-up of cars. Its all for the next line-up and maybe a little for the rumored stop-gap car. It seems the new Lotus era starts with the hypercar, and will overlap the old era for a couple years (Evora GT & possible stop-gap).

Reactions: lotusquacious
#26 ·
Also, hate to break it to people, but this is the end of the line for the Evora most likely. Its a complete waste of money to crash test Evoras just for the GT430 front end or whatever they would need to do. ...
But the claim is that they did do cash testing to try to get approval of the 430 front end; the issue is not the safety collision testing although the claim is they did that to be able to offer the carbon backed GT seat, but rather the parking lot ding testing that must be performed first. Per NHTSA

"Bumper Standard - Requirements Part 581.5(c) (8) The exterior surfaces shall have no separations of surface materials, paint, polymeric coatings, or other covering materials from the surface to which they are bonded, and no permanent deviations from their original contours 30 minutes after completion of each pendulum and barrier impact, except where such damage occurs to the bumper face bar and the components and associated fasteners that directly attach the bumper face bar to the chassis frame."

#31 ·
Well I guess I could get used to the louvered hatch. Having it black would be fine with me. I would prefer the bandit mask gone though. Also, the website shows very limited colors. It is good to hear that there are more standard colors available.

#34 ·
Well I guess I could get used to the louvered hatch. Having it black would be fine with me. I would prefer the bandit mask gone though..
Quite agree. That hatch is unfortunate. But probably needed to let heat out. I wonder how paint would fare on it.

#38 ·
I don’t think they subdivided the 400s that way. They are all the same federal spec. I also don’t think the US GT is a limited edition like the GT 430.

#44 ·
There is an upclose picture somewhere that shows they are attached with two screws. The screw holes would be concealed by the rear plate.

#45 ·
Any pricing released on these? I am very interested. I believe there’s also an Ohlins damper option.

#46 ·
The various dealer posts are giving pricing. Check out Gator Motorsport, they have two ordered without allocation. Ohlins are a dealer install accessory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.