The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easier way to open the trunk to charge the battery on the 2021?? I left the key in and it's completely dead. The easier best way possible would be ideal. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, it's been on the charger the whole time, why would it be dead still? Do I need to use a different charger to get it going now??

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's possible your car drew more power than the charger outputs. Without knowing more, it's hard to be certain.

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
Trunk release not working? Here's search result

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
If your trunk light is on most maintainers won't be able to keep up. If you have power outages or glitches it may not restart charging without a power on reset of unplugging. Check your maintainer inline fuse and output.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there an easier way to open the trunk to charge the battery on the 2021?? I left the key in and it's completely dead. The easier best way possible would be ideal. Thanks guys!
I pulled my trunk light bulb and just leave it out. Also am able to close the trunk hatch down easily on the charger cord. I put a micro-fiber towel over the lip/body to prevent chafing. No wire pinching and my battery always at full charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bethel sport.com magnetic charger, doesn’t do you much good if you don’t have it and your battery is dead but it’s access to charge the battery any time afterwards, many people have mounted it in many different places but this spot is rather easy and clean to install and hardly noticeable

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
If you are you looking for a way to pop the hatch with a dead battery..

You can apply a low power source at the foot well fuse box where the power feed enters the box and use a ground nearby. This would energize the circuit to enable using the remote to trip the hatch release without putting a key in the ignition. Just verify you have polarity correct before you go to hook it up. Then verify again to be safe.

I have not needed to do this, but others have done so with success.

Here's a photo for reference (although they used a jump box in this photo):
Electrical wiring Gas Computer hardware Automotive lighting Electricity

Link to process:

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
58 Posts
I bought a (cheap) battery tender for my motorcycle a few years ago before going to work overseas for a year. Came back a year later and the battery was dead as a door nail while the light on the charger was happily glowing green. Turned out the mfg had neglected to strip the insulation off the wire before crimping on the connector and over molding the rubber at the 2 pin connector on the battery pigtail.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Turns out a Tesla doesn't have enough juice to power the Lotus. I will have to wait for someone to stop by with a ICE car. UGH

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
I would give the final solution a quick check as well. 2021 Evora GT No Start

Lotus recommends charging the battery outside of vehicle ie not jump starting.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
As Catsailr27 stated, it is recommended to charge the battery outside of the vehicle.

However, if you do try to jump it, be very careful on polarity and make sure the key is out of the ignition prior to hooking up cables or you may get the dreaded "Comms Failure" and damage your ECU:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sub volume (located in the rear passenger side) turned way up? maybe turn off radio and re-check?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sub volume (located in the rear passenger side) turned way up? maybe turn off radio and re-check?
YESSS exactly. Is that bad?? I will try it with it off. It still won't start so I just gave up for now.

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
YESSS exactly. Is that bad?? I will try it with it off. It still won't start so I just gave up for now.
When you say it won't start do you mean it doesn't crank, cranks a little, cranks fine just won't start?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't crank at all, unlocks and locks but doesn't even try to turn over. Ughh

·
Administrator
9,051 Posts
Should I try jumping it with another car rather than a jump start kit?
Neither Pull the battery put it on a higher amp charger and get it fully charged and then bring to auto parts store and do a load test. That will tell you if the battery is still good and won't let you down.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,518 Posts
Sure it's not the immobilizer?

Reactions: Catsailr27
1 - 20 of 26 Posts