The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would write this up in more detail in case others have this issue:

I’ve had my 2021 Evora GT for a week. It’s my first Lotus. It’s all new to me. Keep in mind I use the trickle charger overnight.

The story starts two days ago. I’ve only put 40 miles on the car since it was delivered. After a short drive of just 1 mile I shut down the car for 15 minutes.

On attempted restart it refuses to come back to life with just a click. Another try and another click. A third try and it cranks but doesn’t sound right. Pull the key, lock up, then try again. It starts just fine and I chalk it up to my inexperience with the starting procedure.

Yesterday I start the car and the radio indicates it wants me to select a language—this tells me there has been a power interruption right? The car seems to run fine so I think it’s an odd quirk of Lotus and leave it at that.

Early this morning, expecting to embark on an all day car adventure, I get into the Evora, attempt a start, and I hear a click then nothing. The speedo and tach freeze at 20 and 2000. There is no power to the car. All lights, instruments, everything is dead.

I’m thinking a master fuse of some sort so I consult the manual (pamphlet) as I have not yet discovered how to open the rear hatch to check the battery which I assume is OK. The fuse panel to look at is the one behind the passenger kick plate. This is not a lot of fun to remove (or replace) But I do and check all pertinent fuses. No issues there.

In the meantime I have texted the dealer asking for help. To his great credit he answers, early Sunday morning, and tells me how to open the rear hatch and that I should check connections on the battery and see if they are tight. They are. I also check voltage and the sight glass which shows a solid green indicator—the battery and connections seem OK.

The battery “mega-fuse” as shown on pg 130 of the manual (pamphlet) is also an item of interest and I look at it and am not happy with the stress I see on the wires going in and out of the fuse holder—there must be a better way to mount this.

The dealer texts me again and says try jumping the battery which I do but with a battery box. THE CAR STARTS and seems normal. I shut down, disconnect the battery box and start again. Success.

The third time I decide on a road test. The car starts as it should and a 12 mile drive goes without incident..

At this point I don’t know why this happened, if it will happen again, and what I can do to insure a bit more confidence in driving the car.

One thing I know is that I will keep a jump box in the car as applying voltage to the battery terminals brought the car back to life.

I think I must suspect the battery may have an internal fault and need to replace the battery sooner than later.

I hope this might help another owner.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
242 Posts
The dealer should recommend a full battery test. So many batteries in new cars are poorly maintained (if at all) by dealers while cars are on lots, and proper initialization and testing of batteries prior to car delivery seems to also be a lost art at dealerships.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Sorry for your issues. I'd certainly advocate the dealer put a new battery in for you. It may have set for a long while at the dealer, or in-transit, without a charger or even started.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The dealer needs to fix this for you but if you are interested in learning more about how the car works go here

And download the service manuals. There are 9 or 10 grounding studs on the Chassis subframe and if the connection to the strap or wires is loose or corroded that could cause the kind of intermittent apparent loss of the electrical system in the car. If the battery connections are tight then I would certainly check that the negative battery terminal connection to the chassis is good.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
165 Posts
My 2020 GT needed a new battery. Wouldn't start on my third day with the car after being fine the first couple of days with it. It had sat on a closed dealers lot for a while before coming to me. Been fine ever since with the new one.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My 2020 GT needed a new battery. Wouldn't start on my third day with the car after being fine the first couple of days with it. It had sat on a closed dealers lot for a while before coming to me. Been fine ever since with the new one.
Yes, the dealer said he would reimburse me for the cost of a new battery. I don’t recall car batteries ever being this fragile in the past.

Update: No reimbursement unless I get the battery tested and provide a "print out" of the results.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Yes, the dealer said he would reimburse me for the cost of a new battery. I don’t recall car batteries ever being this fragile in the past.
I would say that auto batteries in the last 15 years don't seem to last nearly like they did in the past. Once they get low or get deep cycled too low they just don't seem to respond like they did in years past.
I understand that there is much more parasitic drain but I've also seen a lot of loose/dead cells too.

You may want to try to get them to put a Lithium battery as replacement for your troubles. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say that auto batteries in the last 15 years don't seem to last nearly like they did in the past. Once they get low or get deep cycled too low they just don't seem to respond like they did in years past.
I understand that there is much more parasitic drain but I've also seen a lot of loose/dead cells too.

You may want to try to get them to put a Lithium battery as replacement for your troubles. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Something has certainly seemed to have changed with some batteries I agree. The brand I once liked but have abandoned after numerous failures is Optima. I will never buy another.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Something has certainly seemed to have changed with some batteries I agree. The brand I once liked but have abandoned after numerous failures is Optima. I will never buy another.
Funny you mention Optima. I probably know a dozen 4X4 enthusiasts that say the exact same thing and say they will never spend the $$ on an Optima again.

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
These cars can sit on a lot for a month or three and if they are not kept charged, the battery will go flat. Leave it that way long enough or draw on it in weakened state and the inevitable occurs. A lot of these cars, mine included, were delivered with batteries that have been drained and topped back up, washed and vacuumed, slapped on the fender and waved goodbye to by the dealer. They never even give it or you a thought. I'm not saying that's what happened to yours.......but........ that's probably what happened to yours. It's pretty common actually. Our cars just don't tolerate electrical abandonment all that well as they have relatively high static draws.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These cars can sit on a lot for a month or three and if they are not kept charged, the battery will go flat. Leave it that way long enough or draw on it in weakened state and the inevitable occurs. A lot of these cars, mine included, were delivered with batteries that have been drained and topped back up, washed and vacuumed, slapped on the fender and waved goodbye to by the dealer. They never even give it or you a thought. I'm not saying that's what happened to yours.......but........ that's probably what happened to yours. It's pretty common actually. Our cars just don't tolerate electrical abandonment all that well as they have relatively high static draws.
Thanks Lew. Hopefully a new battery will solve this issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks Lew. Hopefully a new battery will solve this issue.
It is most likely the battery as many others have pointed out. This car probably sat with the battery fully drained for a while. In any case, you will need to hook up a trickle charger/battery maintainer to this car if this is a weekend toy and not your daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Evora went dead again today. It had been plugged in all night and the battery read 12.8V. This time I was out in town. I had my jump box and was able to start it. 120 miles and it's been dead twice.
Have an Interstate battery on order but couldn't wait so found a Die Hard. Corrected the negative cable from the pigtail, added 2 washers to the bracket bolts, and connected the unconnected vent hose.

The amp hour rating does not look the same 60 vs 74 but I am told this is the correct group by the dealer.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
It should fix it. If you tested the battery under load I'd be perplexed
but if you only read it across the terminals it may look good but not be able to actually accept a deep charge. They will owe you a battery.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It should fix it. If you tested the battery under load I'd be perplexed and it checked out , that would be perplexing but if you only read it across the terminals it may look good but not be able to actually accept a deep charge. They will owe you a battery.
When I return the PPP on Monday for the core charge refund I'll ask them to test it as I saw their "test" sign on Friday, BUT, as brain cells are at a minimum there I am skeptical as to the methods and the validity of the results.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
99% battery. They ship across the pond. Totally discharge, some batteries do not recover...Varta batteries also suck.
Read Stelvio forum and same issues exist over there. You mention fuses...realize a fuse has 2 conditions closed(intact) or open (burnt). Total non issue.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stelvio forum
99% battery. They ship across the pond. Totally discharge, some batteries do not recover...Varta batteries also suck.
Read Stelvio forum and same issues exist over there. You mention fuses...realize a fuse has 2 conditions closed(intact) or open (burnt). Total non issue.

100% not the battery if the battery test shows as below and if it's a valid test. Yes?
I was under the impression that millions of cars every year are shipped "across the pond" without battery problems.
How do you know that the battery I have is made by Varta and what data do you have on the rate of failures for that brand and specific model? This would be very helpful.
We're not talking about Stelvios—perhaps you are confused? The car in question is a 2021 Lotus Evora GT.
Thanks for the information about how fuses work—I had no idea. The veil has been lifted from my eyes.

Now I realize you may be vastly more capable than I in terms of factual, logical thought and in troubleshooting electrical systems just by the fact that you have 7,352 posts here.
I will very much look forward to your additional advice on this matter and I am grateful, as I'm sure some others are, that every forum seems to have someone like you.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It should fix it. If you tested the battery under load I'd be perplexed if it checked out but if you only read it across the terminals it may look good but not be able to actually accept a deep charge. They will owe you a battery.
Battery just tested well. I'm out over $200 for a battery now. I'll leave the new one in the car though. The saga continues.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I was under the impression that millions of cars every year are shipped "across the pond" without battery problems.
How do you know that the battery I have is made by Varta and what data do you have on the rate of failures for that brand and specific model? This would be very helpful.
Millions of other cars aren't like Evoras; there is a significant amount of documented quiescent current drain in these cars that is not found in those other cars. That constant drain can quickly reduce the capacity of a brand-new battery to the point where it no longer works correctly in these cars.

Also, the OE battery (non-lithium) that the Evoras ship with are made by Varta, and there have been a number of cases documented here and TLF where the OE Varta is just not working as intended. Any time you deeply discharge a lead acid battery, you risk damaging it permanently. So imagine a vehicle that comes with one of these batteries new, is fully connected and constantly draining it at a fairly high rate, takes weeks to ship overseas on a boat, and then is transported to a dealership where it might sit for a few months. They might throw it on a battery tender or jumpstart device, in order to get it to start, but I doubt most dealerships perform extensive battery tests for capacity before selling them.

From the test results though, it doesn't appear that the OE battery (although that doesn't quite look like a Varta battery) was to blame. As you'll quickly learn, these cars are highly sensitive to voltage, and when there are inconsistencies, it manifests in all sorts of weird ways. Replacing the battery is a quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive way to exclude it. If you still experience starting issues with the new battery, then at least you know it's probably something else.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
100% not the battery if the battery test shows as below and if it's a valid test. Yes?
We're not talking about Stelvios—perhaps you are confused? The car in question is a 2021 Lotus Evora GT.
Thanks for the information about how fuses work—I had no idea. The veil has been lifted from my eyes.

Now I realize you may be vastly more capable than I in terms of factual, logical thought and in troubleshooting electrical systems just by the fact that you have 7,352 posts here.
I will very much look forward to your additional advice on this matter and I am grateful, as I'm sure some others are, that every forum seems to have someone like you.

View attachment 1290255

Just so you know, I would have suggested and done the same thing that brgelise recommended. He was NOT off base at all by trying to diagnose via a Forum with the information at hand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts