The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
fyi - if you don't want to spring the $ for an AntiGravity battery, they still have a Bluetooth battery tracker for normal batteries. I find great pleasure in being able to monitor my battery while not in use and also see the voltage crank test recorded for each start.

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
The real question is if the new battery solved the problem, isn't it? If it did, you have an answer. If it didn't, you have a drain or fault in the charging system. B TW, what's the build date on your car? That's how long the battery may have been idle, at least on and off.

A battery maintainer as opposed to a battery charger will not recondition and fully recharge an exhausted battery. They're fine for maintaining a good battery in peak condition during periods of idleness but not for recharging from flat. If that's how a battery has been revived, it may or may not load test well (probably won't tho') but will read as a good nominal voltage when not under load. Batteries display conditions like surface charge and charge stratification that can both screw around with interpreting the meter and even a load test. Under the shade tree you'd turn on lights and accessories which will approximate a load. If it wasn't tested under load when you looked at it the test was invalid, and means nothing. Now that it tests normal under load, it is possible that it was depleted and not fully restored until you gave it a good drive or brought it back from half dead. perhaps by trickle charging overnight. But that won't fix it, it just masks the issues and cures the immediate symptom. Obviously a battery that has been left with a low charge won't last as long or be as robust in service. Will it test OK? Probably but it won't be as reliable in the end. I have such a battery on my car actually but I've nursed it along. It tests well but it's an underachiever. You can expect weird things from the head unit, failure to crank. Low voltage will do that just as well as an open short.

The Varta takes a lot of heat, possibly unfairly, given the car's static draw and the average long wait between installation and final sale. I don't know for sure but I'm not getting another one. I feel the same about every Varta equipped BMW I've ever experienced as well. Next Anti Grav sale and I'm all in for the big one. In any case Varta's are often regarded as having a short service life and are one of the first things that get replaced with these cars.

Your battery might have had a stratified charge which isn't the same thing as a surface charge but can go hand in hand with that. That would mean it was discharged or sat at low charge for an extended period as it would on a lot. Perhaps the battery settled and didn't provide full rated CCAs after you drove it home or even when you first picked it up. It takes some miles to fill an empty battery. In fact, it is possible to revive such a battery by extended driving at speeds where the alternator is making a rate of knots (ok, amps actually), but a full reconditioning charge is usually best. That's to say the car may well have been suffering a low voltage condition at some or many points along the way but that the battery still tested ok after being driven to the shop. Under the right driving conditions ( acid gets sloshed around, trickle charge plus long run for alternator to equalize the battery) it could be that it finally ended up testing well and acting healthy. For the moment at least.

The forum does its best to help based on the information and experience we have. Sometimes the problem isn't resolved or does not conform to the usual diagnosis but there have been so many instances of weird symptoms being resolved by fresh batteries after very few actual duty cycles that it is often the first advice offered on a newer car that misbehaves electrically. Your car may be different but as I said, if the new battery does solve it, you're good and if it doesn't solve the problem you still have an answer as it will come from either the next smart guy here or more likely from a trip to a good tech.

So how is that new battery working out? If that's not the solution, you'll obviously want a certified technician or the like because in the event you have an unusual failure.

The Agent and I see eye to eye.

Welcome to Evoraville.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
This is why the car would not start 3x and lost power at least 4x. Of course the new battery didn't matter. I have learned that this has happened to other 2021s. This car left the factory like this.

That will do it! Good find!

Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That will do it! Good find!
Yes. look at the paint pen marks across the fasteners! This person didn't tighten the nuts properly but chose to mark these in case they moved! This is insane.
Those tabs you see on either side of the bolt are designed to keep the nut from moving. This imbecile didn't know that either.

The other issue, minor I know compared to the main problem, is the sloppy way the two connectors are attached to the cable. The crimping is weak and whoever stripped the insulation also broke some of the strands. I'll go back in here, cut those connectors off, strip the insulation, properly tin the ends, and use a crimper designed for the job.

I won't get into how serious this could have been had I lost power to the car while driving. One has only to look at the wiring diagram to see what is downstream from this electrical path to imagine the consequences and resulting scenarios. This happened to me in a Ferrari 3 years ago, at speed, and I'm lucky to be alive.

LOTUS SHOULD RECALL ALL 2021 EVORA GTs TO CHECK FOR THIS MANUFACTURING DEFECT.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
Monday morning car after a hard weekend?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Welcome to the Lotus Community!
You have passed the test.

Several hundred miles on your first Lotus and you have already contributed to the knowledge base

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Nutless on a Monday.....that's a new one. At least they didn't lose the fuse and use a baggy tie for continuity....You must have been driving down the road flashing away.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
242 Posts
This is why the car would not start 3x and lost power at least 4x. Of course the new battery didn't matter. I have learned that this has happened to other 2021s. This car left the factory like this.
Could have left the factory like that, or could have been stored at US warehouse with battery disconnected at that point, and the warehouse personnel failed to properly tighten the connection upon prep for shipment to dealer. Some dealers may disconnect batteries while on the lot at that point. Several possible explanations where failure to correctly fasten that could be speculated.

·
Premium Member
2021 Lotus Evora GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Could have left the factory like that, or could have been stored at US warehouse with battery disconnected at that point, and the warehouse personnel failed to properly tighten the connection upon prep for shipment to dealer. Some dealers may disconnect batteries while on the lot at that point. Several possible explanations where failure to correctly fasten that could be speculated.
No I believe it left the factory that way. This is in-line with the battery cable and not what connects directly to the battery. The paint reinforces this.
What also reinforces this is being told by Lotus personnel that the same thing happened to other 2021s.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Someone is getting fired I think...bet his nMe Guiness

Reactions: BlueLotusEvoraGT

·
Loves to talk
1,385 Posts
But but but......it was the battery. It wasn't connected!

BTW, I think Lotus uses the car's paint color to register the fasteners. Mine are picked out in green. Into the bargain, that is one sloppy paint application. It's supposed to be a single tick.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
17 Posts
Interestedly I was shown the youtube video first due to my interests into Lotus Evoras. I kept wondering the story behind the video and here it is. Thanks for sharing the experience with the forum.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts