The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised that this forum is soo quite on teh next generation car to replace the Evora.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
From what I've seen Lotus is quiet about the next cars... only a small bit of info has been shared and I've not seen any public release of significant info from Lotus confirming anything. The only info I have about a new car is from someone at Lotus UK who has shared what he's heard around and I'm sure is part of his job to help start the gossip and interest - but not wanting to share too much so that Lotus can sell all the Evora GTs it's recently shipped to the US and filled the dealers with.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dream for the last car on the Evora platform would be a last hoorah while they still have access to Toyota engines using the 5.0l v8 from the LC. Redesign the body to use the design language from Evija and maybe delete the rear seats to shorten and lighten the car a bit. This, of course, will never happen for a multitude of reasons not least of which is a lack of transmission option for the required configuration. I imagine the next car will use a turbo 4 and a hybrid system of some kind. I don't mind the hybrid aspect so much but I think turbo 4 engines mostly sounds like trash so that's a bit disappointing.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Well, Lotus does have plans to reveal a new car this year - from what I was told, it was doing dynamic testing at Hethel along side of the Evija. It is built on the Evora chassis, using Evija design language and Volve interior - but the powertrain is currently not finalized but hybrids are coming down the line for Lotus - again, most likely Volve sourced. And they are hoping for a world-wide release of the new car, but when it's available in the US will depend on left over Evora GT stock as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was talking to the service manager at the local Lotus dealer about what's coming. He went to a meeting last month and was told that there will be a single model with the option of a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Looks like they want to have one car replace the Evora and Elise. That would be very difficult since they are so distinctly different but let's see what they come up with. 🤞
Call me an optimist but if they screw it up, all our "older" cars become more popular.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I'm surprised that this forum is soo quite on teh next generation car to replace the Evora.
Do you not remember when Lotus said the convertible Evora would be coming or when they said the 400 would be here "in 6 months" for over a year? Or the Bahar cars that never were? Or the next "Elise" that was to come out in 2020 they teased? I don't think Lotus means to lie to us - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that - but any rumors are totally worthless until a car is in an American dealership.

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you not remember when Lotus said the convertible Evora would be coming or when they said the 400 would be here "in 6 months" for over a year? Or the Bahar cars that never were? Or the next "Elise" that was to come out in 2020 they teased? I don't think Lotus means to lie to us - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that - but any rumors are totally worthless until a car is in an American dealership.
Oh I remember those rumors, however a convertible Evora was never given a date that it would be introduced or even a confirmation that it was started. I saw the 400 introduction in London and yes US certification got held up, and again GT certification got held up when our government budget wasn't approved and the government shut down. As to D Bahar, enough said, these were issues as pipe dreams. AS to current, they said they would produce Evijas, since then they have built a factory and are building prototypes .. well see if production starts this summer as they previously claimed. As to a new model, Elise; I had always heard a sports car to replace the Elise and Evora, I think believing an Elises could be built to satisfy current world regulations is a pipe dream. We'll see what the Gamma project is Lotus hopefully puts on display late this year.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Oh I remember those rumors, however a convertible Evora was never given a date that it would be introduced or even a confirmation that it was started. I saw the 400 introduction in London and yes US certification got held up, and again GT certification got held up when our government budget wasn't approved and the government shut down. As to D Bahar, enough said, these were issues as pipe dreams. AS to current, they said they would produce Evijas, since then they have built a factory and are building prototypes .. well see if production starts this summer as they previously claimed. As to a new model, Elise; I had always heard a sports car to replace the Elise and Evora, I think believing an Elises could be built to satisfy current world regulations is a pipe dream. We'll see what the Gamma project is Lotus hopefully puts on display late this year.
I was told directly by a dealer about the convertible, so I probably took that as more official than it was.

And, definitely, the current management is leagues ahead of the Bahar era. Bringing up the federalization delays was less of an insult to the brand and more of how easily a promise can be broken by a third party. They could have every intent of a 2022 model that becomes a 2023 or even 2024 due to external factors that boutique manufacturers are incredible suspect to.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
It will probably be a gussied up Evora in Yellow Camel F1 commemorative livery.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
There's been speculation, rumors, announcements, confirmations, etc, almost every year since. Heck, the "last version" of the Evora was confirmed three versions ago? This isn't a complaint. All of us understand that there's never enough money to launch a new car, although certainly things seem to have improved since Geely acquired Lotus, but even here, the new model is always just around the corner. Here's confirmation (below) that the new sports car is coming in 2020. Anyone seen spy photos? And then note that the next batch of all new cars is 3-4 years away. How does that square with previous pronouncements about the next Exige/Elise coming ion 2020/2021? Maybe that's what this 2020 car is?

Lotus Announces New Car For 2020 Launch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts