The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

205/50ZR16 Front & 235/45ZR17 Rears?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  IamBatman 
#1 · (Edited)
has anyone use these sizes on stock LSS/Exige wheels?
there seems to be more options out there for the 205 width front tires.

I'm looking at these Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires
The diameters are .5" larger then stock on front & rear btw.
(stock diameters: 23.6"front & 24.9" rear)

opinions?

the consensus here seems to be the R888s but I'm still getting used to the car and honestly I think they would be a waste on me.

I really just want a set of tires I can beat up on that is moderately priced, moderately grippy, and doesn't embarrass me on the curves yet if I make a mistake, I'm not going superfast... opinions?

#4 ·
I'm not sure on those. However, someone has the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's on his LSS equipped Lotus with 205's up front, and the stock size in the rear and he says that they fit fine. They're within a few bucks of the Sport Maxxes you are looking at, and perform much better in the dry. I have them on my GTO and love them and will put them onto the Lotus after the current set of tires wear out.

#11 ·
I tried 205/50R16's (different brand) on the front on my car, and I thought the size did look kinda tall and overall looked kind of funny on the rim, but they didn't rub and my car seemed to drive just fine. I drove on them for about a week - I drove pretty hard at times and never had any problems, but I decided to return them since I really didn't like how they looked. Since I bought them from Discount Tire, they let me return them and I ended up buying stock Yoko's in the OE size (for a lot more money that I originally wanted to spend!)

HTH,
Larez2

#8 ·
i wouldnt go with those.stick to what other people are putting on.toyo r888 is the best or bridgestone re 1r as a second more street choice

#9 ·
I read the bridgestones RE-1R's don't heat up to optimal running temp even at the track because our cars are so light?

#13 ·
I didn't see the sizes I listed for the Falken's or the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1....
as for the diameter; like I said, my suspension is raised 3/8" so adding .5 to the diameter will most likely fill out the fender a bit actually... I'm not too worried about rubbing, and since both front and rear diameters are both increased by the same amount, the rake won't be affected. I'm mainly concerned about any loss of steering feel, changes in handling, abs sensors, or traction control with the sizes.

#15 ·
The rubbing to which I refer is irrespective of whether or not your suspension is raised. I was talking about rubbing occurring when you have the wheel turned full-lock; you are increasing diameter and width, which makes that more likely. However, since I haven't had the sizes you have mentioned, I can't speak from experience.

#14 ·
My opinion is: I think the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires will work well for you given your expectations and desired use. You've done your homework and it appears to be a good tire. I've never seen a tire branded on the tread like that, kind of cool.

RE: steering; come to think of it when I was running 205/50/R16's up front I did notice a slight difference in the steering feel, my guess is because this tire wider than stock; it wasn't a bad feeling - maybe a minute amount more of steering effort at slow speeds and anyways I got used to it quickly.

Just a thought - if you buy the tires from Discount Tire, you have the option to return them if you don't like them even after you've driven on them. tirerack will not take a tire back once it's been driven on. Discount should also be able to come close to matching the tirerack price if you show it to them.

Good Luck,
Larez2

#17 · (Edited)
So I ordered the size with the fronts shaved 4/32" just in case (the rear ones will wear out before the fronts anyway.) No issue so far but haven't cornered too hard yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.