The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never really liked the tranny in the 211. I always found it vague and clumsy. Truth is I have been wanting it fail so I could have an excuse to change it out.

A few weeks back I got my wish, the second gear synchro started to go, and then every shift was crunchy, even if I double clutched. Some research suggested that even a stronger gear set etc, would not fix the shift quality or the synchros. So that didn't seem like a 5k + solution worth embarking on.

Anyway, after some digging I convinced myself the Quaife sequential was the most reasonable solution. It can take more horsepower (300-350 rwhp-ish) than I currently have, it has no synchros, stronger gears, better ratios and it was just plain cool.

I spoke to Mat at MWR and got the preassembled kit. They delivered it with the billet oil assembly. I went with the 2.5/3.8 gear assembly as i run road courses and no standing starts. I did not go with a dry sump at this tme. Some people feel that was a mistake (based on their experience), others suggested the path I took will work out just fine (also based on experience). Time will tell if I made the right call. Either way the engine will be addressed during the offseason.

Search the thread'sit for yourself before choosing either route.

Fast forward a few weeks and I'm back from a business trip with a car and a new tranny just waiting for me. Life is good.

My first outing was this weekend (long weekend in Canada) at the amazing Mosport (billed as the fastest track in North America). I love this place. Its a place where you have to be alert and not take liberties. But it's also a track that normally does not require a crazy amount of shifting as it has a very fast flow. Mostly 90 mph+ corners with a 45 mph one thrown in before the last straight.

Today the track will be the same, but everything else will be different. I not only put in the Quaife, but I also did the BOE Torque 300, Cold Air Intake, larger injectors and motor mounts.

I turned the key, pushed the button and off I went. The first session was a learning curve. Fifth gear was the only gear that gave me an issue. The LED registered the shift, but is was still in 4th. There was no resistance, no mashing, just no shift. A quick call and a few emails and I was on track.

The next session was much better. In fact it was perfect. Turns out it was just me getting used to the rhythm of the tranny. It behaved perfectly and I was in love.

The shifts were very fast. Very, very fast.
It shifted with such authority. Not like the DSG cars I have owned. This has a drama that feels "right" on the track.
I wanted paddles, but not now. This has all the speed and it retains the activity I love in a manual.
Heel toeing was very natural. In fact no different. But you must know how to rev match without thinking.

The shift action was finally on par with the steering and body control. The car feels more holistic.

I would love to talk directly to the tune but I changed so much its hard to tell. That said, the idle was far better, the pull felt stronger, flatter, but the gearing was also better. I can say the tune compliments the tranny perfectly.

The track was the same, but the gears and shift points were different. Different in a good way.

The third session was even better. I had my brother in the car. He was watching the oil pressure, it was stable. No alarms. Once back in the pit, we did notice the crappy little orange cap/breather valve was spraying gear oil in the engine bay.

The guys at AIM thought that part was a little suspect, but we were not warned ahead of time. A catch can and breather are being installed before this weekends outing.

I will keep you informed. So far I love it.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Nice write up Barry.

Glad you're enjoying it. Let me know when you're ready for a really nice drysump :D

Cheers,

-Phil

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds like you have got it fully sorted and having fun ..congrats

In the same situation , currently away from home , but looking forward to taking out my 211 with freshly installed Quaife Sequential / Rev 400 and dry sump .
Car is currently having a full cage installed but all going well it will be ready when I get back in a couple of weeks .
Also had problems with my OEM gearbox so looking forward to the switch to sequential . Using the Geartronics GCU and load cell gear lever knob to effect flat shifting .
Also using the standard engine with a view to upgrading internals at the end of the season .
Will do a post on how it all pans out .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phil I don't see your dry sump listed. Is it a special order part?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Awesome!

I didn't see anything about your motor being built, but in addition to the highly recommended dry sump (IMHO), you may want to look into upgrading the valve train as well. With the sustained high RPM's seen when using this tranny, it would be good insurance.

Enjoy it :up:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Awesome Barry! Now I'm going to have to do this upgrade! Btw. Your brother is over on Lateral-G.Com. LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome Barry! Now I'm going to have to do this upgrade! Btw. Your brother is over on Lateral-G.Com. LOL
He is. His Camaro is coming along. It will be amazing when he is finished. In fact he has been very instrumental in getting this season sorted in my car and trailer.

The engine will be addressed this year during the off season. Doing research. If it goes beforehand, I'm not really any further behind. If not, we can investigate the wear etc.

Btw, I'm loving the Hoosier A6's. They aren't wearing badly and frankly I rarely get more than 120F in them on the big track.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Good to hear!! I've now got a set of R6's - A6's and Yokohama A005 Softs --- all mounted on wheels.

I'm running Sonoma first weekend of August and that weekend will be the "tell" for temps and grip etc. So I'm really looking forward to seeing how these tires stack up.

I mounted up a set of A6's for the Mustang -- and that's quite a different car than the spritely Lotus... it weighs twice what the Lotus does - so the pressure on the tires and the temps we see will be real interesting. I think I told you I've hired a professional race manager to help me work thru all of this for this year. His expertise so far has been amazing..... and if I can gather all the data and build a base this year - it will be great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That race manager sounds like a great plan. It will likely be the best mod you money can buy. The data and discipline alone will be worth it in the long run.

I started getting my car prepped by AIM Autosports. They run a Ferrari team in IMSA (leading in points at the moment). They don't really do customers cars, but we have a mutual friend. These guys have taught me a lot. They are very methodical. I could only imagine having them trackside.

Keep us informed!!!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
FWIW- on the Lotus, the A6 seems to be the better tire even for 30 minute stints than R6. The R6 is just slower the whole time.

The new A7 is supposed to be the same compound as A6 but a different construction. I've heard they're good for a second so. You'll also find the A7 runs a good bit wider than the 6. They're using the absolute max spec to conform to DOT. Guess Hoosier got tired of watching BFG and goodyear do that same thing...

The first heat cycle on a A6 seems to be as good as the yoko slick. the ST1/TT2 Exige was testing them back to back at the last race. Actually got better times with the A6 than the yoko. They swapped back and forth several times over the weekend and the A6 sticker bettered the Yoko slick each time...

-Phil

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
That race manager sounds like a great plan. It will likely be the best mod you money can buy. The data and discipline alone will be worth it in the long run.

I started getting my car prepped by AIM Autosports. They run a Ferrari team in IMSA (leading in points at the moment). They don't really do customers cars, but we have a mutual friend. These guys have taught me a lot. They are very methodical. I could only imagine having them trackside.

Keep us informed!!!

Barry -- I pay the pro $3K for a 2 day track event... The "goal" is to get both my cars set up with good baselines so that I can then go to events and know exactly where to set my tires... and what track bar settings would change -- and what shock settings will change etc.

I'm NOT racing -- these are just track days with my buddies. However, having two cars that are so completely different -- the management of them and the learning curve (for the Lotus which is new to me) is too much -- on top of driving etc. I like to go to these track days to spend time with my buddies (all Shelby Mustangs or old CUP cars). They have zero base of knowledge for helping me with the Lotus.

I figure 10K spent on the pro is cheap money and I look at it as the best investment in my "FUN" that I have spent so far EVER on car stuff. The very first weekend -- he got the Mustang handling like a new car and the driving became consistent and predictable - which is VERY IMPORTANT to me -- vs driving my ass off to be with the pack. Now I can lead the pack and relax while doing it! WOW is all I can say. Worth every penny of his salary!

He's doing tires -- braking bias - suspension adjustment - all based on #'s..... and even better - he gives me "tasks" to do before going out. He'll ask me to come back and tell him 5 things I've never noticed before about the track.... or he'll tell me to think about "X"... It's amazing what his driver coaching does for your lap times... and we don't discuss driving! He used to manage 9 racing teams and has some 400+ wins to his credit... so track days managing two cars is like a stroll in the park for him.

First weekend -- the lap times in the Mustang dropped 12 seconds per lap from first session Saturday to the last session on Sunday. That's just HUGE. More importantly - the faster lap times seemed slower and they were far easier...

FWIW- on the Lotus, the A6 seems to be the better tire even for 30 minute stints than R6. The R6 is just slower the whole time.

The new A7 is supposed to be the same compound as A6 but a different construction. I've heard they're good for a second so. You'll also find the A7 runs a good bit wider than the 6. They're using the absolute max spec to conform to DOT. Guess Hoosier got tired of watching BFG and goodyear do that same thing...

The first heat cycle on a A6 seems to be as good as the yoko slick. the ST1/TT2 Exige was testing them back to back at the last race. Actually got better times with the A6 than the yoko. They swapped back and forth several times over the weekend and the A6 sticker bettered the Yoko slick each time...

-Phil

Good info Phil! I'm itching to run the car on the Yokohamas vs the R6's that I've run it on.... and I'm even more excited to try the A6's on the Mustang that has always just run R6's.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Greggie,

I can't believe that you haven't tried the Yoko slicks yet .... A005 "soft" (01) slicks FTW on the 2-Eleven. :D

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Greggie,

I can't believe that you haven't tried the Yoko slicks yet .... A005 "soft" (01) slicks FTW on the 2-Eleven. :D
In full disclosure, I don't know if he was running the 01,2,or 4 compound on the 005...Nice thing about yoko and hoosier, is the contingency (if running SCCA or NASA, the tires are awarded for wins)... I think in his case, he'll be going back to Hoosier full time though, as the 005 compound he was provided were not up to the same pace as the A6. Again, R6 just doesn't seem like a good tire for this car chassis even on the longer stints.

-Phil

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Greggie,

Well ---- I would have liked to try 'em all -- and put the R6 on (after the horrible AO48's).... for Laguna Seca -- and that's when my son Alex (27 years old) ran out of talent in turn 5 about the third session of the weekend.... so I never got a chance to drive the neat little car!

The Following track day -- after 20 grand in repairs -- I invited a buddy to go with me -- and HE ended up in the car all weekend on the R6 and love the car - but wouldn't push it much. I got ONE 20 minute session in the car -- at a faster pace than him -- and that's when the Pro (Ron Sutton) checked my temps and suggested I get a softer tire.... thus I ordered up the AOO5's.

That same track weekend is when the tire temps on the Mustang suggested that I could run the A6's on it --- and not have them go away at the end -- provided track temps aren't too high... so we'll try these for the first time at Sonoma August 3/4th

Jack! WTF! I'm old -- and move at a glacial pace.... what else can I say. LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had very good luck with the A6's. I never hit the 140 F mark. Mostly around 120F.

Glad to hear about the experience with the coach. Sounds like it is working out really well. Great cars need great people to keep them working to their potential. Same goes for for driving skills.

I have a few coaches that really help me with my skills. Actually, skill is the easier part. Removing the "fear", "bias", "preconceptions" are the real barrier.

>>> OHH YEAH, I really love the tranny and I have had few issues. Nothing major.

I think the tranny is sensitive to opperating temperatures. When its cold, I find 5th gear to be problematic. Once the temps go up, it is perfect.

Has anyone else experienced that?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
No. Should work the same cold as it does hot. You probably have some slight internal alignment issues...

-Phil

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was doing some research and this old thread surfaced.

Phil is absolutely right. I had my tranny rebuilt and it has zero hesitation etc. If you feel your Quaife is in any way not smooth, predictable and fast, have it checked. Phil gave us. Few mods to try and it was far better. Ask Phil, or better yet, just buy it from him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts