The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working out a deal on a lotus elise with 213k miles did some test driving. Car is in okay shape and fair for the asking price. I am curious if anyone has owned or seen an elise with higher miles than this? If so any opinion on this topic? Last time i was in the market for an elise i test drove a 2007 with 20k miles so im curious to hear people's thoughts on something with such high miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, 213k so not the car mentioned here with 214k: 2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue

Sorry, no helpful input here other than my teenage car, a 1992 celica is still in the family with 400k miles and it still runs like a champ. That's gotta be worth something.

However, is the discount really worth not shelling out a couple grand more for a 50k mile car? That said, the 50k could be an undercover track, autox car with looming issues while the 213k were mostly highway miles. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The car has a huge story, has a rebuilt title due to clamshell damage. The discount is not a couple a grand its more like 15 grand. It also comes with a second motor. This gentleman has a lot of projects in the mix and i offered him a fair trade. The color of the elise is orange. If I pull the trigger il post the car and all of the things that need repairs (minor mechanically, some aging body stuff) Also has an exige hardtop painted already on the car.

Also in regard to the blue elise, ive seen that guy at a few gas stations when i was stationed in 29 palms im surprised he finally sold it. Out there a guys has an Aston martin with over 160k miles. The high desert is a mysterious place.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
What does an Elise go for at that mileage? If it was me, I would assume every rubber part/bushing needs replacement.

·
Less is Better
2,565 Posts
Lots of miles just means it will likely need some freshening. And more opportunity for dings and bangs. If your looking for a little project, why not? I'd get a PPI though. A spare motor doesn't mean either of them is good. How are the bones? The tub, the mounting points for the suspension, that kind of thing. Also, realize you won't get any money that you put into it back so you had better plan to use it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
there is nothing to base it off aside from the one in joshua tree.
I guess to me, it wouldn't be worth very much. Sad, but at that mileage, everything should be gone over. I have friends with cars at that mileage, and short of a full tear down and rebuild, the cars seem to have lots of little issues, which compound to frustrate the owner. I would be budgeting for new suspension, consumables and an engine refresh.

·
Vendor
3,179 Posts
If you're happy with it, I would plan on replacing all the suspension bushings and fasteners. All the ball joints, check wheels bearings for play, rod ends on the steering arms. We have all that. Let us know if we can answer any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Any car with over 200K miles needs constant replacement of parts. A sports car even more so. It would need to be dirt cheap for me to consider. You really need to know how to wrench in a major way otherwise shop labor bills will eat up your savings quickly.

Reactions: FL Orange

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
This car has averaged 14k a year. IT probably already has new ball joints and rod ends, maybe bearings etc

While you will find things that die that are unusual, many if not most things die from age rather than miles. This car has probably been better maintained than many low mile cars. Since the drivetrain is a drop in Toyota, the risks are small.

Aside from some rotating components, there is little that is going to be different from a lower mile car of the same vintage.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
This car has averaged 14k a year. IT probably already has new ball joints and rod ends, maybe bearings etc

While you will find things that die that are unusual, many if not most things die from age rather than miles. This car has probably been better maintained than many low mile cars. Since the drivetrain is a drop in Toyota, the risks are small.

Aside from some rotating components, there is little that is going to be different from a lower mile car of the same vintage.
i owned a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with 178K. Mostly highway miles and garaged most of its life. Maintained with an open check book. Regular maintenance at the dealer. Very low operating expenses........until it hit 150K miles. Then it slowly needed just about everything. The engine always ran fine, didn’t use a drop of oil. Loved that truck. Sold it because it was cheaper to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
i owned a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with 178K. Mostly highway miles and garaged most of its life. Maintained with an open check book. Regular maintenance at the dealer. Very low operating expenses........until it hit 150K miles. Then it slowly needed just about everything. The engine always ran fine, didn’t use a drop of oil. Loved that truck. Sold it because it was cheaper to buy a new one.
Well,when you find the new Elise for sale, let us know, so it will be this 15 year old car vs another 15 year old car. An aluminum chassis with a fiberglass body will last for all practical purposes forever. Electronics will die, but that is a time factor, might happen on a car with 5k miles. A car without star shield wants a paint job after 50k, so 50k, 200k big whoop.
Guy blow engines on the track with 10k mile cars

shrug

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 Elise with 20K miles and did a fair amount of work to bring it up to spec for the next 15 years. All good. But I’m an informed buyer and know what to expect. Plus I do all the work myself so cheap labor cost. And yes, I’ve blown an engine myself on the track and then figured out how to prevent that.

Never the less, the message is things wear out on high mileage cars or older cars that don’t get used and you either chase the repairs or figure out what needs to be replaced and do it all at once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to pass the opportunity to purchase this car. One thing that didnt make sense is the mileage honestly. Although the owner has been very transparent with me, i do have a feeling that the odometer is simply not correct which is a known lotus issue. Not to say that this is a bad purchase for anyone else. I do have a shop with a few lifts and turning wrenches is not a problem. My main reason for passing up the purchase is due to negotiating issues with the seller as the current owner of the car seemed to want a little bit more money since i showed soo much interest. My original budget for the elise was 30k and i guess id rather just keep looking for the lime green one instead with a clean title.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Curious to ask, how much was the seller asking for it? At a $30k budget, you can definitely find a much lower mileage car. Props to the seller who is actually driving his car. Amazing to hear it has 213k miles. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I decided to pass the opportunity to purchase this car. One thing that didnt make sense is the mileage honestly. Although the owner has been very transparent with me, i do have a feeling that the odometer is simply not correct which is a known lotus issue. Not to say that this is a bad purchase for anyone else. I do have a shop with a few lifts and turning wrenches is not a problem. My main reason for passing up the purchase is due to negotiating issues with the seller as the current owner of the car seemed to want a little bit more money since i showed soo much interest. My original budget for the elise was 30k and i guess id rather just keep looking for the lime green one instead with a clean title.
Nothing wrong with following your gut.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts