The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted since about 9k miles so hello again from Germany. I'm at 22.4k and no problems on my 2005 Elise. New rear tires, oil changes and a K&N air filter. That's it for nearly 2 years of ownership. Oh...and gas at 7 bucks a gallon. The car is driven between 0-150 mph regularly. This machine is not to be babied folks! Just wanted to share the news. Later!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I haven't posted since about 9k miles so hello again from Germany. I'm at 22.4k and no problems on my 2005 Elise. New rear tires, oil changes and a K&N air filter. That's it for nearly 2 years of ownership. Oh...and gas at 7 bucks a gallon. The car is driven between 0-150 mph regularly. This machine is not to be babied folks! Just wanted to share the news. Later!
Id love to me at 150mph regularly! :shift:Enjoy those roads for me!

·
Registered
773 Posts
:up: That's encouraging news, what - with all the 3rd cam-lobe issue woe reports we otherwise instead seem to see on here. :up:

I've got just over 6k miles on my "baby" now, in just around only 4 mos ownership time, so far. And too.... So far, so GOOD! :) No issues of any sort whatsoever!! Changed the oil 3 times is all (first at 1k, now pacing/maintaining every 2 - 2.5 k), and 2 already regularly scheduled in-dealer maintenance visits is all. Can't say I routinely get 'er up to 150mph or anything, but let's just say I do know how to drive her "spiritedly" from time to time (and when the situation ALLOWS) for sure! :evil:

I agree - "babying" a car like this would not only be a SHAME, it also seems quite contrary to her very DESIGN (and therefore maybe even perhaps, her well-being). Congratulations on so far for you too - the very POSITIVE ownership and maintenance experience!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have hit 10,000 miles on my Elise Sport. No mechanical problems of any kind. Only thing to complain about is engine noise. When the engine is first started, it's very quite in terms of mechanical noise (ticks, clacks, tapping, etc.). After it warms up, and the oil thins out, it makes more mechanical noise. Some folks think this is normal for an all aluminum engine with thin-wall castings. Just sounds cheap to me.
Otherwise I have no complaints. Good luck with yours.

2006 Elise Sport #46

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...my daily driver '05 elise is at 64k - pictures here...

...the interior shot was badly overexposed, so i manipulated it to make it look more aged, enhance the wrinkles and such...

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have an 06' Exige......bought it used with 13K on it. I bought a dreaded version.. :panic: :no: a PRESS CAR. It's had the ecu flashed..I'm sure it was tortured.

It now has 21K on it....and while I DO have a check engine issue related to waxification of some LUBE in the throttle body, the car has performed FLAWLESSLY the entire time..minus that issue which is known by Lotus.

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
18k and no major problems. Except the horrible AC, but it was just at the dealership last month, and :tadts:so I guess there's nothing to be done about that...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
2 years, 2+ months and I’m at 60,000+ miles. The cars an 06

Only a few things needed a little work, those got done on warranty before 20,000. Since then just fun miles, and a few sets of tires.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I just turned over 225,000 miles on my '94 Dodge Caravan.

If I can keep a Dodge running that long... image how long the Toyota powered Lotus Elise will go...

The van is on it's 3rd torque converter and the transmission was rebuilt about 25K miles back. Also, the sliding door jumped its track and needed some new hardware about the time the torque converter disintegrated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7 bucks a gallon! is that euros or dollars. LOL
That's the rough dollar equivalent. Considering all the US complaints about "high" gas prices, the prices here are about double. For Europe, Germany is cheap! Germany has the lowest gas prices I believe in most/all of Europe. It's a driver's paradise here and the car industry is huge. Believe me, Germans complain about the prices here. Cars are also more expensive. BTW, I just got back from a Lotus dealer here and saw the Europa up close. What a friggin beauty. Does the US even sell them? The dealer said they aren't very popular in Germany. Meh.

Let me hurt you guys a bit. A friend just traveled to Norway. 16 US dollars a gallon. When I was in Croatia...12 bucks a gallon. U.K? 10 bucks. Belgium? Cost me 115 dollars to fill my almost empty tank on the autobahn. Please hammer...don't hurt me!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Let me hurt you guys a bit. A friend just traveled to Norway. 16 US dollars a gallon. When I was in Croatia...12 bucks a gallon. U.K? 10 bucks. Belgium? Cost me 115 dollars to fill my almost empty tank on the autobahn. Please hammer...don't hurt me!
...ouch!..

...when i toured europe back '87, it seemed like driving was a luxury only comfortably wealthy people could afford...admittedly, the infrastructure over there is much more accommodating of living without a car, and admittedly, most of those fuel costs are taxes so perhaps it evens out in other sectors, but is your feel that driving remains the domain of upper classes today?..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...ouch!..

...when i toured europe back '87, it seemed like driving was a luxury only comfortably wealthy people could afford...admittedly, the infrastructure over there is much more accommodating of living without a car, and admittedly, most of those fuel costs are taxes so perhaps it evens out in other sectors, but is your feel that driving remains the domain of upper classes today?..
I would say it's still a major luxury. But... I've traveled all over Europe and the Middle East and Germany is still the most car friendly with the most users. Driving in Germany is mostly a practical affair from what I can tell. People don't bike and scooter as much here compared to what I've seen across, well...everywhere! With that said, if you see a top luxury or exotic car tooling down the autobahn here at 180 mph, it's safe to assume they are mega rich. Gas prices do not affect the uber wealthy anywhere in the world. Most people here drive economy cars and wagons. Hatch backs seem to be popular as well. Sucks when I'm driving 120 mph or so and a damn station wagon blows past me like I was standing still. TADTS Damn hatchbacks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts