The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a long-time lotus admirer finally considering taking the plunge once the lease on my E46M3 comes up and have a question I couldn't quite find the answer to via search*.

*I may suck at searching*

Is there a marked difference between the Exige 220 and 240**?
Actually I'll ask that another way; if I get a 220, will I drive someone's 240 one day and say "crap...I should've gotten a 240 for a little more $"
I understand this may be to a large degree subjective, but then you all know better than I!

(**I ask about these two because I'm likely to look for a couple year old model)

Hmm Or worse still i suppose I could hop into someone's Elise SC and say "hey they're just as fast AND can kinda see out the back window-ish"

It would be street driven (not quite daily -but often) and of course will see track days and some autox time.

Thanks in advance for your commentary.

Adding dacing banana simply because it's awesome --->:nanner:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just get the best of either car you come across. They can be easily equalized with aftermarket parts and tunes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've driven both an 07 s and an 08 s240. I feel that it's easier to modulate the brakes on the 07 s. The 08 has a lot more initial bite which can be cumbersome in stop and go traffic. There's a lot more play in the stock shifter mechanism on the 07. The 08's utilizes a new shifter mechanism from a different supplier. The 07 s feels a lot more exciting since there is a lot more drama while accelerating and so forth. The s240 is more car like in the sense that it feels more solid, smoother and overall buttoned up.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Don't get caught up in the HP figures, as Charlie can probably give you an equalizing tune. Concentrate on the difference in the shifter and brakes as Hotdog said. Personally, I'd go for a slightly used '07 and spend the money I saved personalizing it to my driving style.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Exige S will likely be a collector car for the future, that according to CNN in their auto news. Just google cnn collector future cars and it should bring up the page of the top 10 collectors of the future. I had a choice of either '07 220hp or '08 240hp and for the difference they were asking between the two I went for the '08.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!

·
Registered
443 Posts
In keeping with this thread, how about adding a 2006 Exige to the equation. I unsuccessfully did look for a running improvements thread. I have an eye on both an '06 and '07 with the same options. The '07 has no aftermarket mods while the '06 has some tasteful mods. Mileage is about +16K more on the '06. Will I look back and say I should have gotten the '07 or say glad I saved some bucks getting the '06 relative to what the factory improved over the two models?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The '07 and '08 cars are close for a comparison. The '06 isn't even in the same league.
I wouldn't even consider an '06 unless it was a money issue, and only then if it was $15,000 cheaper. But, that's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I bought an 06 and got the VF kit. I think that was the wisest choice for me. 250 RWHP beats 240BHP, and it was cheaper.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It also depends on where your state emissions are...lots of people in California can't deal with an aftermarket forced induction solution without also dealing with smog inspection nightmares. So, choosing an 07+ Exige is the less headache choice if your ultimate goal is to have a forced induction car (ie greater than 190 bhp).

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I thought Lotus offered a ECU reflash to bring the 220 to the same as the 240? It's the exact same engine. But why not go for the S260?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Glad I got my EFi so I don't have to deal with that BS.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Glad I got my EFi so I don't have to deal with that BS.
Excuse my ignorance, but how does an EFi make it so you don't have to deal with that BS. What BS exactly (tuning I'm assuming), and how's it preventing you from having problems at the bi-annual?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
EFi is plug and unplug if you're talking about 4 year smog inspection followed by every 2 years? Wired intercept.

Yes, tuning via EFi -- you can tune it to S260 level since nothing has really changed (not even the IC, only the tubes to the IC) with the motor. The BS is Lotus withholding the tune so that they can up sell the S240 and S260 even though the motor is unchanged from the original '07 S 220.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
EFi is plug and unplug if you're talking about 4 year smog inspection followed by every 2 years? Wired intercept.

Yes, tuning via EFi -- you can tune it to S260 level since nothing has really changed (not even the IC, only the tubes to the IC) with the motor. The BS is Lotus withholding the tune so that they can up sell the S240 and S260 even though the motor is unchanged from the original '07 S 220.
Gotcha. I believe the injectors and a couple other items were supposed to be different, but I see you've already changed injectors as well.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
No, don't compare to what I've got -- I was talking just to get to S240 and S260 level can be done with just EFi -- you don't need injectors - 440 will work at S240 S260 power level. For street use.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Yes, look at the specifications of the various models and the changes -- some of those PDFs have been displayed here at LT before. Nothing has been done to the motor, same old 2ZZ.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts