The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was almost back to my house when I glanced down and saw my temperature display flashing at 225-226 F :panic:

I immediately shut the car off and quickly noticed that the hose the connects under the expansion tank had come off! (the expansion tank was recently replaced and I don't think the shop that replaced it did a very good job of securing the hose clamp back). I didn't have hose clamp pliers with me so I couldn't get the dang hose back on so I let the car cool down for about 30 minutes and then started it back up and quickly scooted home before it overheating again (I think when I pulled into my garage it was reading 197 or so). The engine sounded fine and it seemed to drive fine for the short distance I had to drive it.

Should I be concerned about engine damage or do you think I lucked out and turned the car off in time?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you had plenty of notice and did the right thing and let it cool down. Your fine, don't sweat it.
Hopefully you are right! I guess I'll fine out soon enough when I can get a pair of hole clamp pliers and get the hose back on. I have a feeling I'm going to have to purge the system for a while too to get all those dang air bubbles out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Got a pic of that hose? Im troubleshooting some intermittent cooling issues myself. Heat temps rise quicker than they used to from 184-200F where as a month ago it would only fluctuate from 184-190F at most even in traffic.

I have a whole log of testing that I did on my own (no special tools or anything, just idle tests & driving) if someones interested in seeing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a pic of that hose? Im troubleshooting some intermittent cooling issues myself. Heat temps rise quicker than they used to from 184-200F where as a month ago it would only fluctuate from 184-190F at most even in traffic.

I have a whole log of testing that I did on my own (no special tools or anything, just idle tests & driving) if someones interested in seeing.
The hose I'm referring to is just the one that attaches underneath the expansion tank (number 11 on the diagram):

Also, as an update to this, I just went with one of the screwdriver-type hose clamps and used a small screwdriver that I had to tighten her up. Problem fixed! Honestly, I wish they would have rather went with the tightening type of hose clamps to begin with as they seem like they have a lot better seal...

Now comes the fun of trying to get all the dang air bled out of the lines. I let it idle for a good hour yesterday while slowly bleeding off air and then drove it around for a minute but there still seems to be a little air hiding somewhere. These coolant systems are a giant pain in the bum to get all of the air out of!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts