The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just ordered a set of RE11s sized 225/50R16.

Am I going to regret going with that size on the front (LSS wheels)? Should I cancel and get 205/55R16s instead? :shrug:

Thx.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
What are your rear tires?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next time I'll listen to the little voices in my head. Getting 205/55R16s instead... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Next time I'll listen to the little voices in my head. Getting 205/55R16s instead... Thanks guys.
I dont think 205/55's will fit on the front, I believe they will be to tall.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Also with that width up in front you going to have a lot of front end traction (oversteer) so have fun doing some tokyo drifts around cloverleaf on on/off ramps. :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Okay, somebody has to ask, and I'm feeling cranky today...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?????:huh:

The minimum stagger between front and rear should be 30mm (preferably wider in the rear). -poke-

As you increase that stagger you will dial in more understeer, which is useful on public highways to the inexperienced driver. Oversteer usually produces a series of poorly conceived reactions to correct the previous poorly conceived reactions.

As for the 55 aspect ratio, pourquoi?? Rubbing issues notwithstanding, you're seriously raising your ride height - even at 205/50 their is a 5mm increase in ride height over the stock front tire dimension IIRC. With a 55 aspect ratio it increases to 15mm!:eek: You're gonna look seriously ghetto.

So, a direct answer to your original query, yes, you are insane.

If you're trying to save money on tires, go with the Dunlop Star Specs, 205/50/16 front and 235/47/17 rear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crap. I really wanted a matched set of RE11s. They just don't make the right size for the front.:wallbang:

Sounds like I would have to go 235/40 on the rear (.35" taller than stock) and 205/45 on the front (.41" shorter than stock). And even then, hell if I know what the size differences would do the handling of the car.

Looking at Eagle F1s or Toyo T1Rs now...

·
Registered
663 Posts
IMHO 205/45-16 and 235/40-17 is just about the best possible tire size for 16/17 wheels. 235/40 is shorter than stock. Did you mean 235/45-17 which is taller than stock?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, you're right. Too many numbers flying through the air. 235/40-17 is .57 inches shorter than stock.

Anyone running this combo care to share?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts