The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I participated in the 24 hours of LeMons with some friends in S.C. Our team name was Guns, Girls, and Gasoline Racing (I know, we are sexist pigs). It’s a race, but it has some interesting rules. First, you can only spend $500 on your race car so everything there is junk. Second, you can bribe the judges who make sure you don’t spend more than $500. A case of beer, a few flashes of skin from some of the team wife’s, and we were able to negotiate our penalty down from 50 laps to 5. You can read a short article about the judging here:

motivemagazine.com - Motive Culture: When Life Gives You Lemons... Confessions of a Crooked Lemons Judge

The Mustang he is talking about in the opening is us :)

There are also unusual penalties for race infractions. Instead of a 30 minute stop and go, you can serve other penalties and leave. The “Al Gore” penalty requires the driver to park, get out of the car, and plant a tree while the spectators pelt him with Tofu. The “Colonel Sanders” requires the driver to park, get tar and feathered, and then continue. Others include the “Elliot Forbes-Spitzer” (apologize while the team looks supportive), the “Barnyard” (A metal farm animal is welded to your hood), and the “OJ” (You get off scot free). We drew the “Chemical Ali” where we had to put 50 tree air fresheners in the car. The smell was overpowering. You can see and read about that here:

Innovations In The 24 Hours Of LeMons Penal System: The Chemical Ali!

I had three stints in the car, one in the rain and two in the dry. The rain was interesting, it was the only time I have competitively raced in the rain. I can tell you it is interesting going 4 wide into a corner in the rain. The fact that we had no windshield wipers didn’t help. I turned the car over to our team “hot shoe”, the guy with the most racing experience. He promptly wrecked the car as you can see in this video:

24 Hours Of Lemons: Chemical Ali Mustang Spins, Takes Out Innocent 6er

He told us that the BMW caused the accident, the video shows that he just lost it :) The good news is that our two man pit crew had the car disassembled, straightened and back together in 90 minutes. If only body shops could work that fast!

Overall this was a great event, I really enjoyed it. We are now signed up for September in Detroit. We just need a nice $500 car

Roy

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's a one of a kind race. I'm glad you had fun!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Team Blue Goose is attempting to run in Houston this October.

xtn

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Team Blue Goose is attempting to run in Houston this October.

xtn
Looks like I may have found a team to join so I might be out there as well. I know LOST is running a Saab this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts