The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the real deal - an exciting racing series has scheduled an event at MSR Houston and I think we need to put together a Team.

Check out the details
The 24 Hours of LeMons

"Endurance Racing for $500 cars" I can see it now, we find a beater, add all the safety stuff (not included in the $500 limit).

Anyone want to do it?

We will need 4-6 team members (the more the cheaper it gets).

People who want to get on the team:
1. Chili Red
2. Doghouse

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm in. We probably need to have some sort of organizing meeting / fight over what car to purchase.rotfl

The more important question is who has space in their garage so we can thrash (sorry prepare) the car into shape?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looking for a potential race car already...

Went out onto flee-bay and started looking for potential donor (race) cars and did not find anything. Probably means hitting the pre-owned car lots and trying to strike a deal with someone. Even better might be one of the junk car places on North Shepard. We'll need a team member who can speak Spanish so we can get a good deal.

Anyway, I'm willing to grubsteak $1000 into the team in exchange for driving time and a greasy BBQ sandwitch.:D

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out onto flee-bay and started looking for potential donor (race) cars and did not find anything. Probably means hitting the pre-owned car lots and trying to strike a deal with someone. Even better might be one of the junk car places on North Shepard. We'll need a team member who can speak Spanish so we can get a good deal.

Anyway, I'm willing to grubsteak $1000 into the team in exchange for driving time and a greasy BBQ sandwitch.:D
I figure with a 4 man team we would each get 6 hours on track (assuming the car ran for the whole event). Thats a lot of track experience in a short period of time.

Figure:
$500 for the car.
$1000+ for safety equipment (harness, roll cage etc)
$1000 - tires and brakes
$500 - Entry for car
$100 per person/driver entry fee

Thats about $850 per person plus you will need hotel and food/drinks and gas. Figure the weekend will cost about a grand.

Im guessing a light rear wheel drive 4 cylinder would be the way to go, would probably get the best gas millage and would not have to pit as many times as the big v8's. We all know that Horsepower does not rule the track momentum does (hp can help though).

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Figure:
$500 for the car.
$1000 - tires and brakes
$500 - Entry for car
I'll humbly suggest you're more likely to spend at least $3K on safety equipment, and another grand on misc parts, hardware, fluids, spares, etc.

xtn

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll humbly suggest you're more likely to spend at least $3K on safety equipment, and another grand on misc parts, hardware, fluids, spares, etc.

xtn
What safety equipment did you guys use?

I figure a seat, harness, roll cage, fire extinguisher. Also probably a good idea to have extra brake pads & tires.

Maybe its time to look for sponsors and I guess it would be better to have 6 team members to cut costs.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Don't forget 24 hours worth of gasoline in your budget.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Those of us who were on Team Blue Goose can definitely recommend this race. It is an amzingly good time, and very cheap for the amount of racing you get. That said, racing can only be relatively cheap. Figure 6k to have a reasonable chance at survival. Much of that is safety. We spent almost $3k on our cage, and will again this year. This time we're Rocket Sciance Racng, but I'm the only Lotus guy on the team.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Goose Lives

I'm not sure what kind of a chance we would have on a track like MSR Houston with our underpowered little guy. But I'm willing to give her another run! I guess I need people who are willing to help rebuild the car. I would perfer people in the Dallas area that are not too concerned with winning just having a good time! Right now the car runs. All it needs is a new oil pan (or this one welded) and a front bumper fabricated. If we have guys willing to toss in a little more cash we could replace the engine and transmission. This is what the Goose really needs. Especialy if we want a chance in hell of finishing or winning. The car is near MSR Cresson at my folks ranch. If you are interested in being on the new team let me know. We can meet at one of my places to drink, I mean discuss, what to next. Contact me here or at. mattATbluegoosecantinaDOTcom. (Someone said to write it like that or you get extra spam):shrug:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Let's stay on topic....

I figure with a 4 man team we would each get 6 hours on track (assuming the car ran for the whole event). Thats a lot of track experience in a short period of time.

Figure:
$500 for the car.
$1000 - tires and brakes
$500 - Entry for car

Thats about $850 per person plus you will need hotel and food/drinks and gas. Figure the weekend will cost about a grand.

Im guessing a light rear wheel drive 4 cylinder would be the way to go, would probably get the best gas millage and would not have to pit as many times as the big v8's. We all know that Horsepower does not rule the track momentum does (hp can help though).
Might have to throw in a couple hundred bucks to rent a U-Haul flat bed trailer to get the car to / from the track. I'm willing to use my little blue Chevy S-10 as a tow vehicle unless someone on the 'H-town team' has something better.

We also need to have a place to work on the car. Last night I told my better half about this and she said "Sounds like fun, but you ARE NOT keeping any Piece of [email protected] project car at MY HOUSE!" (this is a direct quote)

I agree on the light 4-cylinder part, might be a challenge finding that in rear wheel drive unless we do a small pick-up truck. (i.e. VW-pick-up or early 80's Toyota pick-up.) We could put a wing on back to get some down force.rotfl

Also keep in mind that we can do mechanical work on the vehicle as much as we want. Thus something simple to work on would be nice.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Potential donor (race) cars

From Craigs list Houston:
'85 Lincoln Towncar
Lincoln Towncar 1985
'86 Toyota van
$500 FIRM, 1986 TOYOTA VAN WAGON, STRAIGHT BODY, 4CYL, DUAL A/C
'90 ford Taurus
1990 Ford Taurus
'91 Ford Tempo
1991 Ford Tempo that runs, better for parts
'88 Ford Crown Vic.
1988 Ford Crown Victoria
'89 VW Jetta
1989 volkswagon jetta,runs good, no title, parts car
And the coupe de eta
'70 MG "Parts" car:drool::drool:
M G 1970 71 Parts car
56 Willy Station Wagon
56 Willys Station Wagon 4wd :coolnana:

Oh yea we got some real cream puffs out there....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Isn't someone offering up the Saab 900 on the LOST yahoogroups website? I would get Dave H to add my ex 1980 Ford Fiesta S to the list,but its an irreplaceable classic ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
H-town team members...

You might want to check out the string of messages on the LOST boards. Chili is getting things organized over there for the H-town team.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive managed to pick up another driver on Lost so things are starting to look up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts