The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking only at the following tire size, 245/45r16 for my rears, which has me narrowed down to the following 2 choices... Toyo RA-1 vs. Bridgestone RE-11 on street? I see there's also the R888, but a lot of my drives are only 10-15 minutes on public roads so i'm looking for something that doesn't need a bunch of warm up to run nicely and looking for something that's good in rain and people have said it's not so good in rain.

Nice thing about RA-1's is that they're sticky to the bitter end so they don't heat cycle out at all, but then i'm not sure i want to be on a slick tire on public roads... thus the RE-11 stands out better... but that's assuming the whole tire doesn't just lose traction as it gets to end of tread like many others. A048's, T1-R's, and Grabber UHP's really lose traction towards the end even if they have grooves left in them.

I'm also driving more than 10k miles per year...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Ran the RA-1 as a street tire. Fully thread they are great, however as you get down to 4/32, your going down to only 4 groves and they become more like a slick in terms of handling the wet.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
RE-11s are fantastic max performance street tires, that are likely only "pretty good" on track.

RA-1s are the inverse

·
Registered
123 Posts
RE-11s

Ive got the RE-11s, I love them. Difficult to break loose on the street and solid in the rain. I have not tracked them but I daily driven. Fogiving and great ride.

I have 10 k miles on them only other comparison was stock and far prefer for stick in dry and wet weather.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
245/45r16 reas: anyone experienced with Toyo RA-1 vs. Bridgestone RE-11 on street?

245/45R16 tires are too wide for even the LSS wheels. (Keep in mind the 16 inch wheel is your front). About a 205 width is about as wide as a LSS is recommended to work with. If you meant 245/45R"17" you are closer to the mark.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
245/45r16 reas: anyone experienced with Toyo RA-1 vs. Bridgestone RE-11 on street?

245/45R16 tires are too wide for even the LSS wheels. (Keep in mind the 16 inch wheel is your front). About a 205 width is about as wide as a LSS is recommended to work with. If you meant 245/45R"17" you are closer to the mark.
His signature says Rota 15/16 :thwack:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry, i assumed the 245 would trigger thought that it was a rears i was thinking of... and they're 8" wide so a 245 should be okay. There is no star spec in this size so it's not an option.

I'm going to stick (or not stick depending on how you see it) with the Toyo T1-R's on front becuase they're sticky enough for my style of driving (i don't go into corners hot so i have no issue with pushing) and i personally require deep grooves for hydroplane resistance on the front. I'm compromising the requirement for hydroplane resistance in the rears to get more needed traction in the back.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
re 11s are way better suited to your application, and are actually almost your only real option in the 16/245 size. Many 911/930 owners are quite happy bridgstone released this size.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aschen... perhaps the porsche owners enthusiasm for this size is the reason that the darned thing is backordered until at least the end of june!!.. BLASTIT! (i just found this out today) :(

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As heads up, I ended up with a flat on my toyo t1-r's and threw my RA-1's on the car to tie me over until i could get some RE-11's. I may just run them till they're corded done becuase these tires are hooking up predicatbly and sufficiently (I've heard from several people they are consistent and hook up till they're corded)... accept they're basically slicks at their current wear level so they're be totally unacceptable in the winter/rain... which i'm sure they're be done by that time and new tires on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts