The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have 245/45R16 Toyo R888 mounted on the rear yet? Are there any rubbing? I know the RA1 in this size is close to rubbing and rubbed a little for some. Is R888 any better? Maybe 225 is a better choice?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Does anybody have 245/45R16 Toyo R888 mounted on the rear yet? Are there any rubbing? I know the RA1 in this size is close to rubbing and rubbed a little for some. Is R888 any better? Maybe 225 is a better choice?
I'm getting them mounted on Friday :clap:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:clap: Please report back. Do you have the Rota? Thanks.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Ok, I got them mounted and balanced today.

I went from the 175/225 AD07 base setup to the 205/245 R888 on Rota wheels.

Here are my impressions:

- They fit just fine. No rubbing or anything. Although my car looks like it's a jacked up 4x4 now on it's base suspension :(

- They are much heavier then the stock AD07s. Even with the smaller and lighter wheel, the Rota/R888 combo is considerably heavier then stock. I gained about 9 lbs of rotational weight :( :( (6 lbs, 6 ounces up front, 2 lbs, 3 ounces in the rear).

- They tramline a lot worse then the base stock setup. It now follows all the bumps/lines in the road like most other performance cars (I was previously impressed at how straight the Elise stayed compared to other cars... I guess this was due to it's puny stock tires). It's not nearly as bad as a Dodge Viper but I'd say it's about comparable feeling to a Vette.

- They ride a lot rougher then the stock AD07s. Bumps are magnified due to the ultra stiff sidewall in the R888. They didn't seem any noisier but I couldn't tell since I've had the top off for the past month or so.

- Grip is mind-blowing! I didn't do anything crazy since I've only been street driving the car but I went around a long sweeper (my normal corner) and kept speeding up till I was engaging the VVTL-i in 3rd gear. They didn't show any sign of letting up :crazyeyes I'll have to get to the track to do a fair comparison but I *know* these are leagues ahead of the AD07 in terms of grip.

Conclusion: You give up a lot but you also get a lot. If max grip is your main (and only) priority, then I'd give this setup a :up:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the review. I was just about to PM you actually to ask you how it went :D

I went from the 175/225 AD07 base setup to the 205/245 R888 on Rota wheels.
I'm doing exactly the same. From 175/225 AD07 base setup to the 205/245 R888 on Rota wheels. I'm very surprised with the weight difference. I was actually counting on an overall weight reduction since when I weighted the Rota with no tires, they were 12.5 lbs and 16.5 lbs. The R888 must be very heavy :( At least I'm going to install the Nitron so mine won't look like a jacked up 4x4 :D Glad to hear about the good grip that they provide :up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts