The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is a PITA! I finally backed it onto wheel ramps to get the rear under tray off. 3 different size bolt heads and 26 bolts total to remove it. I have the 3500-lb quickjack and have used it on dozens of cars, but it simply will not span the mounting points - it is too short. Hopefully this saves the next guy the time and trouble of trying. I have decided to just travel to the wheel and tire shop twice.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,375 Posts
Some have used the quickjack with this car but I'm not sure how they made it fit. My undertray has 13 bolts and two size heads (8mm and 13mm). I'm not even sure my diffuser would add enough bolts to get to 26 but I no longer have the stock diffuser and related parts.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Throw these on and let the wheel shop lift the car:

Also as lostpawn says, you either removed more bolts than you needed to or exaggerated out of frustration. If it's the latter case, take some deep breaths, drive the car, and go buy a power ratchet for the next time.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
Seems like you did it a harder way than you needed to. I use a cordless drill driver and 8mm nutdriver socket. Sounds like you also removed the diffuser as well, even though there was no need to do so.

·
Registered
615 Posts
So yea, I have 13 bolts for the under panel...in two different sizes. Then the additional bolts you might be talking about the rear diffuser.

Anyways, if you're referring to the two lift points that are marked by a sticker over by the front wheel and the one in front of the rear wheel...you dont wanna use those. It'll be out of balance.

And yea, it's annoying at first, but it becomes tolerable with some repetition. I usually jack up one side of the car with the jack point in front of the rear wheel. I'll take off the rear diffuser with a power tool...turns it into a 3 minute job. I then put one jack stand by the point near the front wheel and one by the rear after you've removed the diffuser. Go jack it up on the other side by the same jack point...jack stand to front jack point and then to the rear.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Inconvenience is the price of aero. Be glad you're not taking off the underpan of a ford gt

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
One of my first mods when I got my car back in 2006 was something like this.

Lotus Elise S2 20 piece Dzus Quick Release Fasteners Rear Diffuser & Under Tray | eBay

I do my own maintenance and have 150k miles on my car. So imagine all the time I saved so I can enjoy driving my car more! 😀
I actually hated those. I'll never recover the time spent trying to get the tension right. Either a fastener would come loose and rattle or it'd be a smidgen too tight and I'd spend several tries trying to get it to catch. Now that I'm rebuilding the whole car, I'm ditching them for just a compact drill. It's cheaper than the kit and faster.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I highly recommend ramps vs jacks. More stabile.

I use air-driven 1/4" air ratchet. No, I've never stripped one or got one too loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not remove the rear diffuser or any of those bolts. The 260 rear under tray has more bolts. There are 3 different sized heads. I can snap photos if anyone cares to see. The 4 recessed bolts at the rear in the center (10mm) aren't even shown in the diagrams I found digging through old threads. 8/10/13mm sockets were required. I did use a mini impact. I can't even imagine turning them all loose by hand!

Anyway the small 3500-lb quickjack will not work. You can probably rig something up, but it is simply too short. Most cars can be lifted with it along the side rails between the wheels.

Corner balancing this car is also a PITA. You have to take the wheel off to adjust the collars. Usually I can reach up under to turn them saving a lot of jacking and wheel swapping. The 2010 S 260 Sport weighs 2019 lbs with a full tank of fuel and new R888's in OEM sizes. I need to buy a decent chassis height measuring tool. Suggestions? I will have it on the alignment rack tomorrow for a toe check and then I should be ready for the track on Sunday.

On that note, does the rear tray need to be off for the rear toe adjustment? The inboard nut looks "up under there."

Had a buddy act as ballast. He was a big bag of dog food and a full jerry can lighter than me:
IMG_7116.jpeg

My ride height is around 130mm, though I did not have a decent tool to measure with. There isn't much adjustment left, unsure how others are getting down to 110mm as I am already running out of thread and at some point this must limit available suspension travel.
IMG_7113.jpeg

Is this chassis point "D" for jack stands or lift?
IMG_7110.jpeg

Is this chassis point "C?"
IMG_7109.jpeg

On the last adjustment, I had it at 50.00% EXACTLY, but shifted my weight in the car before my buddy could snap a photo! I will be doing this again anyway, after I weigh in at 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and nearly empty tanks to generate a curve.
IMG_7126.jpeg

Found yet another connecter without a home, this time in the engine bay, while flushing the clutch:
IMG_7130.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the non-believers. Was I frustrated? Definitely. But I can count! All 26 holes shown here (and I just recounted the bolts). I am sure it will be easier the second through 50th times.
IMG_7131.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes a 90 deg tool would be useful for when my mini-impact is too long. I will grab one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Be glad you're not taking off the underpan of a ford gt
Exactly! Be glad you dont live in a very specific scenario where you own a car that has literal hundreds of examples in the world and the oft-chance that you're one of the two people who is removing the underpan off of it using a quickjack.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Corner balancing this car is also a PITA. You have to take the wheel off to adjust the collars. Usually I can reach up under to turn them saving a lot of jacking and wheel swapping. The 2010 S 260 Sport weighs 2019 lbs with a full tank of fuel and new R888's in OEM sizes. I need to buy a decent chassis height measuring tool. Suggestions?
If you're going to be corner balancing yourself a fair bit, you could purchase hubstands. The BBX ones have adjustable height, and all the access to the shocks you could want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic idea! But $1800 is a bit much. I think my scales were cheaper. It looks like they are model specific as well and I own several cars. I will get the 260 dialed in the painful way I think.

·
Registered
2006 Exige S
2 Posts
This car is a PITA! I finally backed it onto wheel ramps to get the rear under tray off. 3 different size bolt heads and 26 bolts total to remove it. I have the 3500-lb quickjack and have used it on dozens of cars, but it simply will not span the mounting points - it is too short. Hopefully this saves the next guy the time and trouble of trying. I have decided to just travel to the wheel and tire shop twice.

Just for others reference, I have the 7000lbs QuickJack (BL-7000SLX) and I can confirm it fits the S2 Exige on the "B" and "C" lift points. The Exige feels very stable on the QuickJack. The 7000lbs model will also just fit the SW20 MR2 and R53 Mini Cooper, so it seems just small enough to get under almost any car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts