The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible without going $$$$ crazy??
As some of you know I just picked up a new (new to me) 240s stock with a lotus stage II exhaust. Incredible CAR:coolnana:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/lotus-exige-240s-phantom-black-1800-miles-58809/

Im looking to boost the Hp to around 280-300 without losing the streetability. The car may do a few track days next year but mainly used on the street.
After searching Im finding tons of mods for the 07 but I'm having a hard time finding many setups for the new 240.

Please forgive me in advance If I ask a few stupid question, In March I made the switch from a 330 rwhp 3100 lbs shelby cobra kit that I built to a 05 Elise. Now after 3 months the Elise is gone and I made the jump to the 240s.
Im a old school v8 guy thats light years behind on all the modern tech stuff. ECU'S, Heat Soak:huh: Plus I never used a computer to tune anything:shrug: so I'm going through a huge learning curve.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
240 at the crank, not the wheels.
Probably about 216 at the wheels before heatsoak of the intercooler. After heatsoak, probably around 206.
Just had my 07 Exige S (220 hp) dynoed. It had 200 (rear wheel) for the first dyno run (barely warmed up). Two runs later (after heatsoak) it only made 190. I put a ProAlloy chargecooler on and re-dynoed...206 first run, 207 two runs later! Can't explain A) why I picked up a few hp with the proalloy on the very first run or B) why the third run actually made one hp more than the first. (maybe a dyno anomolly)

·
Registered
381 Posts
My target also. 280hp daily driven. street car maintenance as opposed to track car maintenance.

Id love 300, but I think only 270~280 is possible with out touching the internals while maintaining reasonable stability and engine life. I've heard this engine does not have the capacity for power up as some other engines, I think the bottle neck is at the block.

With out touching internals, on relative basis the cost shouldn't be so crazy. The rest of the car is perfect, just not enough power. Keep in mind the I am just a weekend warrior and the following is just my opinion based on what I've learned thus far.

In order of importance (IMO) if hard driving/track use/power up is desired.

safety items:

parameter monitoring devices:
(prior to an ecu mod, there's no adjustment possible, gauges would serve only to monitoring values with out ability to change them. But if you drive hard, i think in the least an oil temp gauge is helpful. It's in my belief oil temp takes precedence over water temps. Once a programmable ecu is employed, there's many other parameters that can be changed and thus others that should be monitored for safety.)

Large alum radiator
( I think elise parts sells the most widely used upgraded rad.)

low temp thermostat
(TRD)

(Together, these lowered my temps on avg 10C)

Upgrade charge cooler
(I installed the RLS Mk2+ tubes+Water Inj kit but there's other options available such as air to water systems, there's a few posts here that discuss merits of each.)

Fans
Haven't done this yet but my guess is it's necessary if using air 2 air on this car. Ordered a couple and will try.

Water Injection
definitely a plus if boosting up and when ambient temps are inherently high.

power items:
exhaust manifold decat, some kind of free flow muffler
(I use the weapon R header. the decat made a big difference versus the with cat aftermarket system I had on previous. Muffler is a straight through as opposed to chambered design from TWR)

air intake:
(there's lots of debate on this item. the most important thing here is to keep the diameter of the intake pipe where MAF is concerned the same diameter as stock, particularly before ecu mods as this would cause the ecu to work outside of whatever targets it targets in orig form. The airbox itself is probably too small based on fact the 211 uses a larger box and the 240 is supposed to be the same tune. I use the stock box with a SARD high flow filter myself, for now atleast until boost up.)

ECU
everything above is still with in safe (IMO) limits of operation. need for remapping the ECU for def. increases as added boost increases. I'm not sure how much boost the 10psi actually makes and there's some discussions on this board that report a normally running car with 10psi pully(yielding significantly lower boost, dunno why this is, hope the SC is not the bottle neck) and no tune. FOr myself, I'd definetly consider an ecu if the following is on the menu.

pully
(I haven't gone this far yet but from initial research there's soemthing called a 10psi pully out there. My guess is 10psi is probably the safe limits of this engine. WHile the car will run with out an ecu tune, I think it's best to get this done as boost will dramatically alter inputs and targets should be adjusted accordingly. I've identified 3 ecu choices gotham, hydra, emerald k3 that allow ecu adjustments.)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
robains had forcedfed give him like 260?hp to the wheels. I think they used a smaller pulley and obviously ECU work. Maybe search for some of his threads to see what forcedfed has done

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
stock airbox or cup airbox with green filter
header with sport cat and small diameter exhaust
intercooler
gotham

·
Registered
648 Posts
2zz block is strong the issue is that there have been too many bad tunes and killed many motors. The good/bad thing about the engine is that it was built with very tight tolerances and "adding" power throws off those numbers. To safely add power the ecu should be the first point of attack.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Dyno from a stock 240S

Dyno from Exige S FF Exige S power package(EFI ecu, pulley, injectors)

I've tuned a few S cars with other mods(decat, exhaust , intake) up to 265whp 185wtq

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sounds like it was just a "breathing" package. Good to see some promising numbers from the SC version btw Casey you guys still producing the turbo kits??? Or they a special order item? Trying to plan for the winter projects.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
should be able to get the 240 to 260/265 with just a change to the ecu, (which is around 235RWHP)

we found the clutch is the weakest point, it gave out first, which effectively limited the power for the SC kit.

look at ade's gotham'd car with the smaller pulley and proalloy, this dyno sheet is in 'no correction mode'

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
should be able to get the 240 to 260/265 with just a change to the ecu, (which is around 235RWHP)

we found the clutch is the weakest point, it gave out first, which effectively limited the power for the SC kit.

look at ade's gotham'd car with the smaller pulley and proalloy, this dyno sheet is in 'no correction mode'
The S240 has a stronger clutch than the standard S I believe, but I dont know how much more power in can handle... but hey its a good time to get a racing flywheel and stronger clutch :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now that Ade's car was done with a smaller pulley, perhaps you will release a smaller pulley tune?

·
Registered
186 Posts
well since ade's already got it, i'd say that means its been released !
Wasn't Ade's car dyno tuned in Essex, England by Sinclair's? Sinclair's can send you the tune and then it can be released for those who want to drop a pulley size in the USA, yes?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts