The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading LT and really haven't been able to get a definitive answer regarding decating my Exige RGB. Here's the scenario:
- Exige RGB with S260 Stock Tune
- 2bular GT3 muffler
I have just ordered the 2bular decat pipe and mini cat o2 adapter.

Question:
If I install the decat and mini cat adapter will I be ok with the stock tune? Will there be any negative effects?

I've read yes and no posts, so I would like to hear from owners who have gone this route and what their experiences have been.

Thanks !
John

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a decat on my stock tune s220 a few years ago and I saw no performance improvement. Slightly lighter, louder and not as hot as stock cat? Yes. I wouldn't think the stock tune on a 260 would show any different results.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. You said you 'had'. Does that imply you went back to the stock cat? If so, why?

Also, I just want to make sure the stock 260 tune is ok with the decat even if there are little to no gains. Is it safe?!?

Thanks again!
Johm

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went back because of the no improvement thing and the Exige was my DD/only car at time.

As far as "safe", I never had a wide-band on my car to test things out so I don't know. Maybe others can chime in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
On a somewhat related note, I now have an S240 with 2bular decat and GT3 with a tune and it's really another animal altogether. :evil:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What tune did you go with? That's going to be my same setup! Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went with Kold-Fire 270. I thought, "I have a 240. Adding a tune won't be that much a difference." I was wrong. Changes a LOT - smoother, faster, pulls harder, not to mention safer AFR. And you won't need the adapter to keep from throwing a code - it's built in.

Just call Phil at BOE (link above) :clap:

PS - Starlight Black is a great color!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
A site sponsor sells a "device" which looks like a CAT, but is actually a robust silencer which will drop you down to track accepted levels of noise. Kills two birds with one stone. Helps you pass visual inspection for CAT, and keeps those pesky max track Db figures to an allowable level. I can not remember who sells them, but I may get one of those someday. (Especially if I move to a town which requires an emissions examination).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with Kold-Fire 270. I thought, "I have a 240. Adding a tune won't be that much a difference." I was wrong. Changes a LOT - smoother, faster, pulls harder, not to mention safer AFR. And you won't need the adapter to keep from throwing a code - it's built in.

Just call Phil at BOE (link above) :clap:

PS - Starlight Black is a great color!
I just looked at the tune. Wow! That's kind of expensive. Looks like ~$2K for the cable and software. I hope I am wrong though! Lol

Yeah, the starlight black is pretty amazing. I just have to keep it spotless to make it look like that!

Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think it's roughly $1400 for tune and cable. Or remove and mail in your ECU for ~$1000. They should have a tune on file. Cable is nice to be able to swap back to stock tune for dealer service.

A site sponsor sells a "device" which looks like a CAT, but is actually a robust silencer which will drop you down to track accepted levels of noise. Kills two birds with one stone. Helps you pass visual inspection for CAT, and keeps those pesky max track Db figures to an allowable level. I can not remember who sells them, but I may get one of those someday. (Especially if I move to a town which requires an emissions examination).
Good point on the noise and inspection.

F1, what size is your GT3? I can tell you a 6x18 and with a decat is pretty loud at full throttle. The GT3 is an above diffuser exhaust so you'll need a rear delete kit or at a bare minimum cut a hole in the stock rear panel. Then, you have a hole in your diffuser where the OE exhaust tip was that will start bothering you. It's a slipppery slope from here on..... welcome!
:shift:

·
Registered
370 Posts
^
does the gt3 6x18 drone ?
Not at all. I've had the Lotus Stage 2 (Janspeed) and a Larini and both droned at different levels (stage 2 was really harsh.) I was really pleasantly surprised at the 2bular's sound.

·
Registered
553 Posts
cats make a big difference in turbo setups but I think less on SC.

I have cat delete... car sounds really loud and I don't mind it, but I know many others would....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cats make a big difference in turbo setups but I think less on SC.

I have cat delete... car sounds really loud and I don't mind it, but I know many others would....
Do you have a stock tune? I just want to make sure my stock S260 tune will be ok with a cat delete pipe.

Thanks!!
John

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the KF270 tune right now... about to get bumped up to 300 tune.

Decat should be fine

·
Registered
912 Posts
Formula1 looks like you have the 8x24 GT3. I have had your exact setup with a decat for a very long time. I've had no problems at all, afr's were good. I would say its safe. I love my decat, the sounds and the engine has better throttle response.

Just a few things I noticed after installing a decat.

No matter what O2 sensor trick or bung you will throw a code and have a CEL. I solved my CEL by sending my ECU to Jermaine at VF and had him disable the post cat O2 sensor it cost me $40. However, by disabling the post cat sensor the ecu will not complete I/M test and you will not be able to smog your car even if you reinstall the stock cat.

I personally like the way the car sounded with the 8X24 and a decat. It sounds abit deeper and slightly louder.

The worst part (for some people) the smell. Your car will smell like a snowmobile. Even with the windows up and A/C on, when you come to a stop the smell will come into the cabin.

As for a tune, I don't recommend you tune your car until you have some major change like headers or a smaller pulley. I feel it won't be worth the cost, the gain will probably be marginal as your starting point is 260.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Formula1 looks like you have the 8x24 GT3. I have had your exact setup with a decat for a very long time. I've had no problems at all, afr's were good. I would say its safe. I love my decat, the sounds and the engine has better throttle response.

Just a few things I noticed after installing a decat.

No matter what O2 sensor trick or bung you will throw a code and have a CEL. I solved my CEL by sending my ECU to Jermaine at VF and had him disable the post cat O2 sensor it cost me $40. However, by disabling the post cat sensor the ecu will not complete I/M test and you will not be able to smog your car even if you reinstall the stock cat.

I personally like the way the car sounded with the 8X24 and a decat. It sounds abit deeper and slightly louder.

The worst part (for some people) the smell. Your car will smell like a snowmobile. Even with the windows up and A/C on, when you come to a stop the smell will come into the cabin.

As for a tune, I don't recommend you tune your car until you have some major change like headers or a smaller pulley. I feel it won't be worth the cost, the gain will probably be marginal as your starting point is 260.
Yes, I have the 8x24 GT3 and love it! Glad to hear you had success with the decat as well. I've already ordered the mini cat adapter to try to stop the cel from coming on, but if it does I have a scan gauge 2 to delete the cel's if they do come on. Thanks for sharing your experience. It helped answer some questions I've had!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts