The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's finally in! Ordered via Blackwatch (thx Fred!!). Jim really delivered. This thing is gorgious. I have a fun weekend ahead!

audio/video clips coming soon. :coolnana:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm having a tough time deciding what exhaust to get; how did you decide on this one with so many 2Bular options out there? I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My criteria were very tight:

-wife approvable, not too loud (ie reasonable idle and cruise dB/drone)

-track permissable (below 95dB for my local track)

-diffuser exit, to keep rear grill (I like the OEM look, also wife approval factor)

-best tone I could find (in online videos) without drone/rasp

-reputable build quality and general community feedback

-straight pipe design

2Bular is the only one who ticked all the boxes. Larini was in second place for me.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Might go with a 8" 2Bular or maybe a Larani exhaust. Main thing is I want to pass sound at Laguna Seca (92dBA). Smoky / anyone else- if you ever get a actual on track measurement from one of these 8" let me me know what sound level they end up with. Do you have to open up the diffuser to fit that tip? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Nice, very nice. I can't wait to hear the clips. :drool:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smoky did you look at getting a set of headers with that exhaust? @bular have a nice 4-2-1.
I know, I do want one. I sent several queries to Jim about the turnaround time for headers and haven't received a response yet. I figure it's best to pace it out anyway. If I go with headers later it will most likely be 2bular. Prob be sticking with the stock cat though. Just too much expense to justify the minimal gain, especially since I'm not after "every little bit".

Re: the diffuser exit. Not sure yet. We'll see. I'm so tempted to get it started now, but I'm burnt out having helped the wife hang giant, heavy a$$ pictures all day. Prob Sat or Sun morning. Will def get some video.

Thx fellas!

·
Registered
907 Posts

-diffuser exit, to keep rear grill (I like the OEM look, also wife approval factor)

-straight pipe design

2Bular is the only one who ticked all the boxes. Larini was in second place for me.

Smoky,
Wife got you by the round ones:no:
Need to nip that in the bud...unless its her wheels, then i take it back as you are just the mechanic.

Just bustin your chops-poke-

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
She's installed. And sounds FANTASTIC! Such an improvement. I'll get a/v clips when the tone is full broken in.

Removed the rear portion of the heat shield. Looks much better back there now. Temps seem fine (after an hour drive in 90 deg ambient the body was only 110 deg, the metal grill 150 deg, the license plate 115 deg, and the ambient around the cat u-turn was 280 def (all faren).

Sound and tone are perfect. Exactly what I wanted...sportier, but not too loud. Even before break-in, no drone..just smooth, deep, and rumbly. Nice pops on the overrun and decel. I'd say about 10-15% louder than stock, if that. Just sounds better. The exhaust now matches the mood of the vehicle. It's perfect!

Here's some pics

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I passed the 92db rule on my local track. I have a Katana 8X24 and no snorkle.

If you care about the db rule, make sure you have the snorkle on. The small difference it makes can be the difference between 91db and 92db. Or just bring it to the track and if you get flagged, put it on.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts

-straight pipe design

Thanks for the write-up/pics Dave :wave:

I needed to use the 8"dia can for the reduced sound levels which more and more owners are asking for but still keep the rear grilles in place. This is a straight swop out/in for the std exhaust but I do agree with trimming the heat-shield - letting heat out of the engine/exhaust bay is good. A straight-thru design on a +200bhp motor is never going to be quiet but I can achieve a sports-car exhaust note without deafening people - the Ultra takes care of that!
You can see I had to off-set the silencer and use every inch of the exhaust bay to squeeze this one in. The 7"dia is an easier fit but has more of a growl all the way through.
Glad you're happy ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1db violation is pretty strict man!
Nope, more like .1db. I arrived at the track and a 92.1 reading. Got black flagged. For .1 db. This is about as loud as a fly's fart. :panic:

Bring the snorkle. It's all I have to say.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx Jim!!

Darth: Did you they build your track across the stree from an old folks' home or something?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the pics and info. That is the route I want to go as well, though I was considering the 2bular Sport Cat for the added heat reduction, if significant.

Does anyone know the db increase by using the 7" x 24"? (I do not know if the 8" x 24" will work on the later version with bumperettes.)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thx Jim!!

Darth: Did you they build your track across the stree from an old folks' home or something?
Welcome to Quebec... Many race tracks are in jeopardy because tree huggers want to shut them down.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's good. Fewer track = more street racing. Isn't that what they want? </sarcasm> that sucks. There should always be MORE tracks, obviously.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts