The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much testing, we've settled on a 57mm dia (2 1/4") - there's not a lot of room under there, so these are a tight squeeze and a lot of work - you can see why the factory went for the smaller bore.

Another good gain in power and torque and should really be fitted together with the headers for best results. They fit to the 2-bolt flange on the main Cat and are a straight swap with the factory set. Fitting kit/gaskets supplied.

£198. (+ 20%vat for EU purchases) when bought with headers.

£295. (+ 20%vat for EU purchases) if bought separately.

Shipping - ask.

200cell Sports Cat:

Straight swap with the factory set-up with two Lambda bosses welded in for the extended wiring.

£385. (+20%vat for EU purchases)

We have tested an FIA Approved 100cell Race Cat with amazing results - the same as a De-Cat Pipe! But whoa, it is NOISY - up to you though ;)

£448. (+20%vat for EU purchases).

I've been pestered for a De-Cat pipe! Not something I was thinking about because with the Pre-Cats gone, you needed some emissions control but -

£132. (+20%vat for EU purchases).

Shipping - I'm sourcing a carton which can take the Headers + Cat but still keep the overall dimensions down for lower shipping costs - TBA.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I am DEFINITELY interested in purchasing the Headers and Downpipe together.

What is/are the difference(s) and advantage(s) of the 200 Cell Sports Cat, over the Stock Lotus Cat, when installed with the 2bular Headers and Downpipe and the Lotus Stage 2 Muffler ?

Are the Headers, Downtube, and Sports Cat ALL available for immediate delivery ?

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
J-Pipe looks beautiful. So it fits in stock postion?

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am DEFINITELY interested in purchasing the Headers and Downpipe together.

What is/are the difference(s) and advantage(s) of the 200 Cell Sports Cat, over the Stock Lotus Cat, when installed with the 2bular Headers and Downpipe and the Lotus Stage 2 Muffler ?

Are the Headers, Downtube, and Sports Cat ALL available for immediate delivery ?
Heh Don!

Yes, that's fine - I'll ring you today if that's convenient? - want to have a chat about the supercharged race system.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J-Pipe looks beautiful. So it fits in stock postion?
Thank you :)

Yes, the 3 flanges are in exactly the same position as the factory design. I paid particular attention to clearing the undertray! Might produce a tray without the cut-outs if there's enough interest.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Thank you :)

Yes, the 3 flanges are in exactly the same position as the factory design. I paid particular attention to clearing the undertray! Might produce a tray without the cut-outs if there's enough interest.
Or even better - clip on patches - cheaper and sufficient.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Heh Don!

Yes, that's fine - I'll ring you today if that's convenient? - want to have a chat about the supercharged race system.
Jim,
My Evora is a NA model, so I can't help you with info on the Supercharged Race System.

My previous questions were directed for your NA System:

I am DEFINITELY interested in purchasing the Headers and Downpipe together, and possibly the Sports Cat, and ready to order when both/all are available !

Post the info here, or PM me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't speak for exactly this configuration yet, but we found the stock cat already being a high flow cat and so it's not in the KT300 Kit e.g. as not necessary as long as you don't want an even louder car.

On the NA we didn't find more HP or torque after replacing the stock after-cat which actually is not the main cat. The EVORA's main cats are the ones in the exhaust manifolds, some call them pre-cats but actually that's not right.

In any case replacing them is THE key for more power on that engine so I am sure the 2-bular headers with downpipe will work out great even without the 200cell on an NA.

Different story on the Evora S though, where this stock cat "is" at a certain "limit" and replacing the aftercat is advisable.

Best thing over here in Europe is that emissions (if a sniffer test is necessary) are not a problem with the stock after-cat (after fitment of the headers) but problematic with a sports-cat. But it is not important if there is only an OBD test without sniffer. :cool:

Cheers!
Luke

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim,
My Evora is a NA model, so I can't help you with info on the Supercharged Race System.

My previous questions were directed for your NA System:

I am DEFINITELY interested in purchasing the Headers and Downpipe together, and possibly the Sports Cat, and ready to order when both/all are available !

Post the info here, or PM me.
-eek- ........ you mean that wasn't you I phoned yesterday? Who the heck was that then?
I'll e-mail all the info to you Don.

·
Banned
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't speak for exactly this configuration yet, but we found the stock cat already being a high flow cat and so it's not in the KT300 Kit e.g. as not necessary as long as you don't want an even louder car.

On the NA we didn't find more HP or torque after replacing the stock after-cat which actually is not the main cat. The EVORA's main cats are the ones in the exhaust manifolds, some call them pre-cats but actually that's not right.

In any case replacing them is THE key for more power on that engine so I am sure the 2-bular headers with downpipe will work out great even without the 200cell on an NA.

Different story on the Evora S though, where this stock cat "is" at a certain "limit" and replacing the aftercat is advisable.

Best thing over here in Europe is that emissions (if a sniffer test is necessary) are not a problem with the stock after-cat (after fitment of the headers) but problematic with a sports-cat. But it is not important if there is only an OBD test without sniffer. :cool:

Cheers!
Luke
Hello Luke! First of all, congratulations on a superb product. :clap:
You have to understand after the years of trials & tribulations dealing with the recalcitrant 2zz-ge ECU, finding that the Evora ECU self-tuned was a nice surprise. Telling my customers the price of my Exige S 4-1/Cat-De-Cat/system, then saying you better add another $1000 for a good tune was kinda frustrating to say the least. Any enthusiast knows there's a lot more additional performance to be gained from tuning a modern ECU and I would certainly recommend it. As a manufacturer, it's great not to have that cost lurking in the background though.

Cat/Pre-Cat;
As emissions legislation has got tougher over the years, manufacturers of larger/"dirty" cars had to look at adding another Cat in the system. Closer to the cyl head means a quicker "light off" and met the tests for lower start-up emissions. Yes, it's a Pre-Cat before the main Cat. The engines are supplied to Lotus with these pre-cat headers already fitted and looking at all the markets they hope to supply, there was no point in changing them out.
As you say, the factory main Cat (a familiar design) is capable of meeting most emissions tests. This should surely tell you it is the std 600cell substrate? It is NOT a high flow Cat. Komotec (I have a Pavlovian response to that name, whereby I stick another pin in Daniel's doll hanging from the roof of my workshop :evil:) don't seem to offer a downpipe set for this install? He doesn't tell us the dia of his header either? The factory 48mm dia downpipes are a major block to REAL power and if Komotec are sticking with these, then you wouldn't see any improvement with a 200cell Sports Cat replacing the main Cat - the damage has already been done upstream and it's pointless replacing anything else until you tackle that restriction. 57mm downpipes - it's the way to go. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi!

Thank you! I also think that your products are great and of a superb quality :clap:

I'm not keen on "arguing", so let's call them "pre-cats" :cool:
At least we agree that these are the main restriction in the OEM system.

I don't know what gains you exactly got and which "Pavlovian response" the KT name causes ;), all I can say is that with the KT headers alone we got quite the same gain like with the supersprint racing system which was only slightly better up top, IMHO mainly due to their metallic cat. The gain in torque on a stock ECU was around 20Nm with both systems and 15hp power wise. (We've been facing similar results on some Porsche installs...)

The tune is capable of getting the torque up around another 20Nm and brings the necessary liveliness of the engine up top adding another 15-20hp and keeping that power up for the last 1200rpm :up: while the stock ECU makes it fall.

I don't say there is no difference in changing the cat but found it not necessary for a normal NA stage with the KT system and also not that relevant for the supersprint version which has different downpipes as well.

On the other side I would like to see the difference your larger downpipes make on that car (with headers and your cat).

Do you have some dyno results for the system already?

Again: "I can't speak for exactly this configuration yet" ... So looking forward to see some dyno results :UK:

I understand your thinking as a manufacturer, even if I don't fully understand your problem with the 2ZZ-GE ECU (T4 or T4e you mean)?
What exactly do you mean by a "self-tuned" ECU in that case? :confused:

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
498 Posts
After much testing, we've settled on a 57mm dia (2 1/4") - there's not a lot of room under there, so these are a tight squeeze and a lot of work - you can see why the factory went for the smaller bore.

Another good gain in power and torque and should really be fitted together with the headers for best results. They fit to the 2-bolt flange on the main Cat and are a straight swap with the factory set. Fitting kit/gaskets supplied.

£198. (+ 20%vat for EU purchases) when bought with headers.

£295. (+ 20%vat for EU purchases) if bought separately.

Shipping - ask.

200cell Sports Cat:

Straight swap with the factory set-up with two Lambda bosses welded in for the extended wiring.

£385. (+20%vat for EU purchases)

We have tested an FIA Approved 100cell Race Cat with amazing results - the same as a De-Cat Pipe! But whoa, it is NOISY - up to you though ;)

£448. (+20%vat for EU purchases).

I've been pestered for a De-Cat pipe! Not something I was thinking about because with the Pre-Cats gone, you needed some emissions control but -

£132. (+20%vat for EU purchases).

Shipping - I'm sourcing a carton which can take the Headers + Cat but still keep the overall dimensions down for lower shipping costs - TBA.
USA Customer? On your De-Cat pipe. My understanding is the Evora N/A has two cats coming off the headers correct? If that is the case your De-Cat pipe removes a 3rd cat? or a resonator? I have the stage 1 factory exhaust from Lotus and I was wondering if your De-Cat pipe would fit without issues? My goal is to gain a little more noise not necessary power. And one last ? would I pass emissions if that small football looking resonator is truly a 3rd cat?;)

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
F: I have taken mine off and looked around the corner and inside and see no "cat" material inside of it and it has silencer written on the side. I am pretty sure that his part will fit your application perfectly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
F: I have taken mine off and looked around the corner and inside and see no "cat" material inside of it and it has silencer written on the side. I am pretty sure that his part will fit your application perfectly.

Cool this has been my suspicion ever since I installed my Stage-1 & noticed the bloated pipe and read silencer/Toyota on the side.:)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The main cat is in the exhaust. I read somewhere the pre-cat is only on European models.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
USA Customer? On your De-Cat pipe. My understanding is the Evora N/A has two cats coming off the headers correct? If that is the case your De-Cat pipe removes a 3rd cat? or a resonator? I have the stage 1 factory exhaust from Lotus and I was wondering if your De-Cat pipe would fit without issues? My goal is to gain a little more noise not necessary power. And one last ? would I pass emissions if that small football looking resonator is truly a 3rd cat?;)
On the STOCK Evora Exhaust system, there are the "PreCats" in each exhaust manifold, AND the "Main Cat" after the Downpipe "Y" section that connects the manifolds to the Main Cat.

The Factory has the Before Cat O2 sensors at the top of the PreCat Manifolds, and the After Cat O2 sensors in the Downpipes before they merge together. There is NO O2 measurement after the Main Cat. So, with the Stock Manifolds and Downpipe, you can eliminate the Main Cat with a DeCat Pipe, with no CEL, although emissions will rise.

When you replace the Stock PreCat Manifolds with a set of headers, like the 2bular's, KomoTec, or Supersprints, you loose the PreCats. So, now the Before Cat O2 sensors are moved down to the Downpipe bungs before the merge, and the After Cat O2 sensors are moved to the back end of the Main Cat. That is why you see the O2 sensor bungs on the back end of the Metallic Sports Cats, and why you have to weld those bungs into the Stock Main Cat if you just replace the Headers and Downpipe, and retain the Stock Main Cat. Also, that is why you have to lengthen the O2 sensor wires to reach down to the Downpipe and Main Cat bungs. So now, if you eliminate the Main Cat with a DeCat Pipe, you have NO cat at all, and will have to deal with the ECU for the CEL.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
On the STOCK Evora Exhaust system, there are the "PreCats" in each exhaust manifold, AND the "Main Cat" after the Downpipe "Y" section that connects the manifolds to the Main Cat.

The Factory has the Before Cat O2 sensors at the top of the PreCat Manifolds, and the After Cat O2 sensors in the Downpipes before they merge together. There is NO O2 measurement after the Main Cat. So, with the Stock Manifolds and Downpipe, you can eliminate the Main Cat with a DeCat Pipe, with no CEL, although emissions will rise.

When you replace the Stock PreCat Manifolds with a set of headers, like the 2bular's, KomoTec, or Supersprints, you loose the PreCats. So, now the Before Cat O2 sensors are moved down to the Downpipe bungs before the merge, and the After Cat O2 sensors are moved to the back end of the Main Cat. That is why you see the O2 sensor bungs on the back end of the Metallic Sports Cats, and why you have to weld those bungs into the Stock Main Cat if you just replace the Headers and Downpipe, and retain the Stock Main Cat. Also, that is wy you have to lengthen the O2 sensor wires to reach down to the Downpipe and Main Cat bungs. So now, if you eliminate the Main Cat with a DeCat Pipe, you have NO cat at all, and will have to deal with the ECU for the CEL.
That was a mouthful, but it makes a lot of sense.. Thank you for the clarification.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts