The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a video of a 2013 S with a properly blown up engine.

My question is what goes wrong with the 2gr-fe? Specifically when supercharged.

I now know all the common issues with the 2ZZ and was wonding if the 2GR had its own set.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
618 Posts
this thing was probably beat. he probably missed a shift. this doesn't just happen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this thing was probably beat. he probably missed a shift. this doesn't just happen.
Yeah im imagining that took a 4th to 3rd at max revs.

Im looking at a 13 S now and it looks perfect for what I want. About to get a PPI done.
I have noticed in the service history that in 2017 the 1st owner asked to find an oil leak. Notes that they found a 'very minor oil leak emanating from the rear main crankshaft seal'. I dont see any mention of it being fixed.

Is this a common thing?

Can you actually see the rear main seal? Since theres a flywheel and a clutch in the way?

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
618 Posts
nah, you wouldn't be able to see the main seal. I dont think I've had any leaks on my 2011. There was an issue with the older oil cooler lines that Toyota did a recall for(lotus didn't) it went from the block to the cooler plate. I think it was only pre 2012 cars that had the old line

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
820 Posts
The GR engine mostly comes in trucks and minivans. It's a very stout design. Admittedly, the supercharged 2GR-FE is easily the highest specific output variant of this engine, but if you stay inside the safe tuning box and don't drive to abuse it seems to be quite reliable.

I would also note that at least some of the 2ZZ-GE 'common problems' seem to be consequences of how Lotus installed the engine in the Elige. Lift bolts quit being an issue around 2003 (before the first 2ZZ Lotus was built) and the most common complaint about the 2ZZ in FWD Toyotas is that early models had oil control issues. I've never heard of a 2ZZ Toyota having wiped cam problems. That doesn't mean that they don't, but it's not as ubiquitous as it seems to be on the Elige.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
99% probability of a money shift. Motor is bulletproof with few known issues after all these years

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also note that at least some of the 2ZZ-GE 'common problems' seem to be consequences of how Lotus installed the engine in the Elige. Lift bolts quit being an issue around 2003 (before the first 2ZZ Lotus was built) and the most common complaint about the 2ZZ in FWD Toyotas is that early models had oil control issues. I've never heard of a 2ZZ Toyota having wiped cam problems. That doesn't mean that they don't, but it's not as ubiquitous as it seems to be on the Elige.
Yeah it seemed like Lotus were more prone to it. Celicas still had problems but not to the same extent it seems. Maybe because Toyota owners dont ever check their cams? Or they dont go onto the second cam as often. Or it was right on the edge of failing from the start and Lotus changes pushed it off the edge. Who knows.

99% probability of a money shift. Motor is bulletproof with few known issues after all these years
Money shift in a good or bad way?

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
618 Posts
Money shift is like going from 4th to 3rd when intending to go to 5th while already at redline..

Reactions: not-a-number

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
The GR engine mostly comes in trucks and minivans. It's a very stout design. Admittedly, the supercharged 2GR-FE is easily the highest specific output variant of this engine, but if you stay inside the safe tuning box and don't drive to abuse it seems to be quite reliable.
Mainly the Camry / Lexus ES350 / RAV4 in millions of units. Australia had a supercharged version of a car, its the manual gear box with the truck pedigree.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Get the performance report from a dealer. You'll be able to see how it was treated / run.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since there was a note that there was a small rear main crankshaft seal leak. And it would be hard to see that. What else could it be on a 2013S?
JohnZ mentioned the cooler plate but only on MY10-11.

Could you get a bore scope in there to see or is the bellhouse completely covering it?

Maybe it was a front main seal (which would be better because I can see how youd replace that without taking the whole drivetrain out)

PPI today so hopefully they can confirm

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
If the 2013 S you are looking at is Carbon Grey with a black leather interior with contrast red piping & stitching, I think the original owner was on here and perhaps can answer your question as to how/if it was fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Could you get a bore scope in there to see or is the bellhouse completely covering it?
A rear main seal leak will eventually find its way out of the bell housing and onto the undertray/ground. You could probably fit a small endoscope or borescope into the boot near the clutch release fork and look around.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the 2013 S you are looking at is Carbon Grey with a black leather interior with contrast red piping & stitching, I think the original owner was on here and perhaps can answer your question as to how/if it was fixed.
Yeah thats the one. It definitely fits what I want. $48k. Does that seem like a reasonably price?
Any idea of the user name?

Edit: Found it

·
Registered
208 Posts
The car in the video is an IPS, so I don't think that one was a moneyshift.

·
Illegal Alien
5,157 Posts
It doesn't use much memory, has a clock counter stores usage such as rpm, speed in incremented buckets and remembers 5 highest events of a number of different perimeters rpm, temps, speed, .. along with time stamp of event.

Reactions: Octonion
1 - 19 of 19 Posts