The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to the dealer I am thinking of putting a deposit down for an Elise at (for Dec delivery) and he mentioned that Lotus just increased the MSRP by $2k. Is this true? I was out of the country so didnt get many details about it, just got back home tonight (Sun night) so going to call tomorrow to find out, but does anyone else know of this?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll wait till I talk to him again tomorrow before I post the dealership name here, just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand him. I was down in the caribbean on a cell so perhaps something was lost in translation, tho I thought I heard it clearly!

I'll post a follow-up tomorrow!
scott

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
CarreraScott said:
Spoke to the dealer I am thinking of putting a deposit down for an Elise at (for Dec delivery) and he mentioned that Lotus just increased the MSRP by $2k. Is this true? I was out of the country so didnt get many details about it, just got back home tonight (Sun night) so going to call tomorrow to find out, but does anyone else know of this?

Thanks
Scott
That could be dealer prep...:eek: If it is true you are the first to know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XconZ said:
Was the MSRP $39,985 before you left for the Caribbean?

-Eric
Yup believe so, but I'll post a followup tomorrow once I'm sure of what I heard... Sorry if I stirred things up without facts to back it up...yet...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I sure hope it hasnt gone up. When I placed my order for two of these things I was told the price was 39,985 + the $780 destination. I'm making provisions for that amount. If they muck with it again Im out too.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Given ths slide of the dollar it would make sense, in fact a much larger MSRP would make sense. My invoice for the deposit, from November 2001, says MSRP esitmated to be $38,500. Since then the dollar has devalued against the pound by around 20%, that would put the car at $46,200. I don't know how they have held to $39,950, Lotus is taking a beating on profitability. It makes sense that they have to increase price to cover the greatly devalued dollar.
And please, don't jump me, I didn't say I liked it, I just do a lot of my business internationally and deal with currency eschange a lot, sometimes I do well and sometimes it's a real problem. Sometimes I hedge and sometimes is roll the dice. I doubt Lotus is hedged for what will be 50%+ of their production.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
They can compensate to a degree by the price of additional options such as other wheel choices, stripes, ets. They have usded other tricks like making power windows part of an option package where originally it was rumored to be planned as standard. Also , they are charging extra for every color other than red/yellow. No doubt a price increase is inevitable but hopefully in the 2nd year. I can't blame them, but how often do you see a price cut if the dollar goes up in value?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
AS I said,
Was at LCU Sat. no mention was made of a price increase in the near term. I DO think the price will go up next year though for sure.

Can't see them jumping the price that much just a month after announcing the price.

NOTE: The to be confirmed was on the pre-order guides, the price was confirmed in the press release issued at LA>

Don't sweat it guys!
Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
:eek:I agree with what Chris said. I think the first years cars will be sold at the announced price. Next years cars I suspect will be sold at a hefty premium. It has been reported that due to the slip in the dollar the profits on the Elise will be down $7,000 per car. They will have to make that up somehow. Lotus may bite the bullet for this first year, but I don't think they can afford to for next year also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK I spoke to the dealer

I misunderstood a bit, and not sure if he is talking of something he knows or is just speculative, but he was just saying that there "may" be an MSRP increase during the year and was making sure I understood the price I would pay would be whatever the MSRP was when I actually place the order.

Sorry if I stirred the pot for no reason...

p.s. the dealer is Hunting Ridge Motors in Port Chester, NY.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Actually if Lotus is seeing their profit decline due to the devaluation of the dollar it is not necessarily the MSRP that will be changed - it will be what they sell the car to the dealer for. They likely would also raise the MSRP to avoid their dealers losing profit margin, although they could ask the dealers to absorb part of the hit. In that case you would likely see more dealers selling for above MSRP....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check with your dealer before putting a deposit, one of the dealers I called around to actually left me a voicemail saying the $2000 deposit was non-refundable, and they were charging $2500 over MSRP. I dont remember which dealer it was as I promptly deleted that voicemail!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
CarreraScott said:
Check with your dealer before putting a deposit, one of the dealers I called around to actually left me a voicemail saying the $2000 deposit was non-refundable, and they were charging $2500 over MSRP. I dont remember which dealer it was as I promptly deleted that voicemail!!
I would have made a note of it so I would remember that they were charging over MSRP. At least the dealer that left you the message was upfront about charging over MSRP. Some hide it and spring it on you later.
I have MSRP in writing and have already ordered. Most dealer are reputable but obviously some are not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts